Premed 101 Forums

Ethics of Reference Letters from individuals who might have a bias

Usually Med Schools seek reference letters from referers who are qualified to give their opinion on the applicant such as supervisor, professor, coordinator etc.

However, I was wondering if their is any ethical concerns by the admission committees over obtaining references from someone whose judgement might be compromised such as individuals you coauthored a research paper with, an individual you've collaborated with on academic and non-academic projects and so on, where they'd might have a biased opinion because of the respect they hold towards the applicant and so on.

If the referee is qualified and credible, this is what is important. So, if the Supervisor is the first author and this is not hidden, rather mentioned in the context of the work ethice, etc of the applicant and the applicant's abilities and accomplishments, I do not se a problem.

It is normal that the referee will advocate for the applicant and therefore, the referee is writing the LOR with a point of view and perspective. There is no problem with this, so long as the referee is trthful and credible.

Usually Med Schools seek reference letters from referers who are qualified to give their opinion on the applicant such as supervisor, professor, coordinator etc.

However, I was wondering if their is any ethical concerns by the admission committees over obtaining references from someone whose judgement might be compromised such as individuals you coauthored a research paper with, an individual you've collaborated with on academic and non-academic projects and so on, where they'd might have a biased opinion because of the respect they hold towards the applicant and so on.

I disagree. Any reference letter that speaks highly of the applicant is profoundly unethical. Reference letters are supposed to be neutral: i.e. from people you don't really know or you know don't like you very much. That way a true opinion can be formed based on objective criteria like respect. (A person may hate you but still respect you)

Take it from me Steven, I've heard that if med schools get these sorts of letters they could not allow your application for further review, in light of the seriousness of the infraction.

I would also recommend that if you know somebody that you recently fought with and haven't made up with yet (essentially they still are mad at you) - get them to write a letter for you. That way the admissions committee will see the process of reconciliation and it will make you a better person.

I disagree. Any reference letter that speaks highly of the applicant is profoundly unethical. Reference letters are supposed to be neutral: i.e. from people you don't really know or you know don't like you very much. That way a true opinion can be formed based on objective criteria like respect. (A person may hate you but still respect you)

How is it unethical? Under what system of ethics? If everyone went to people who didn't like them for reference letters, few would get into med school. A smart person would go to a variety of high qualified, credible individuals (professors, supervisors in research firms, heads of major volunteer programs, etc) that they know fairly well and have done exceptionally good work under. There is likely a line to be drawn at close familial relationships or very close friends.

How is it unethical? Under what system of ethics? If everyone went to people who didn't like them for reference letters, few would get into med school. A smart person would go to a variety of high qualified, credible individuals (professors, supervisors in research firms, heads of major volunteer programs, etc) that they know fairly well and have done exceptionally good work under. There is likely a line to be drawn at close familial relationships or very close friends.

Ignore Pedobear, the majority of his/her posts are intentionally misleading and bordering on inflammatory. I think it shows an immense lack of respect for others.

You need to work on your sarcasm radar

Archived