Premed 101 Forums

GPA Weighting

out of curiosity, does anyone know if u of t ever applies the weighting formula to someone who has not taken a full course load in all years of their undergraduate?

I took a full course load for 3 years (and actually took more than a full course load one of those years) but in my final semester of 4th year I was unable to take a full course load (i took 3 instead of 5). I was doing an international exchange and there were no web/distance courses for me to take even if I wanted to (small uni). I graduated with more than enough credits (42 as opposed to 40...). I also had my dean write a letter to support my explanation... do you think I would be considered seeing as it was out of my control? If applied the formula makes quite a difference in my GPA (actually bumps me to a 4.0) so I am really hoping for it.

you might have a shot but they are pretty picky from what I hear.. But the thing about u of t is, once everyone meets the min wgpa,they look at your cgpa I am pretty sure so the whole dropping your lowest marks no longer plays a part....so weighting serves no purpose after that point in time. So if you have a high cgpa without weighting then prolly wont be that detrimental. But who knows what is high these days lol.

Can you post a link as to where it says about Toronto looking at your cGPA at a certain point in the application process?

They dont have that posted anywhere, I only know cause I have contacted them myself and maybe I shouldnt have wrote that....so I removed it.

If you look at the Accepted/Reject thread and realize that it is a very small sample and note the large differences between cGPA and wGPA you would certainly change your mind.

- Lupe :cool:

• 3 months later...
out of curiosity, does anyone know if u of t ever applies the weighting formula to someone who has not taken a full course load in all years of their undergraduate?

I took a full course load for 3 years (and actually took more than a full course load one of those years) but in my final semester of 4th year I was unable to take a full course load (i took 3 instead of 5). I was doing an international exchange and there were no web/distance courses for me to take even if I wanted to (small uni). I graduated with more than enough credits (42 as opposed to 40...). I also had my dean write a letter to support my explanation... do you think I would be considered seeing as it was out of my control? If applied the formula makes quite a difference in my GPA (actually bumps me to a 4.0) so I am really hoping for it.

My understanding is that you have to have taken a full courseload in every year of university to qualify. That means that if for even one semester, you don't take a full courseload, you don't qualify. Even if you overload in one semester, it doesn't compenate for another semester.

But if your dean wrote a letter, and you were on an international exchange, them I'm sure they'll take this into account. And if your gpa is really competitive (eg, 3.9+), then your less likely to be punished.

My understanding is that you have to have taken a full courseload in every year of university to qualify. That means that if for even one semester, you don't take a full courseload, you don't qualify. Even if you overload in one semester, it doesn't compenate for another semester.

I think its the year in entirety, becuase I took 6/4 semester, and was informed that the wGPA still applied. If your taking about overloading compesnating cross years, then i believe you are correct.

• 4 weeks later...

How does one go about getting considered for the wGPA if you haven't taken a full course load in every year? I have never heard of there being some flexibility on this, but it seems from what you guys are saying there is.

Also, how would you know if it is justified to request special consideration?

How does one go about getting considered for the wGPA if you haven't taken a full course load in every year? I have never heard of there being some flexibility on this, but it seems from what you guys are saying there is.

Also, how would you know if it is justified to request special consideration?

I believe that you can request special consideration but you'll never know if they gave it to you or not

You wouldn't know if it's justified... it's what you feel. That said, it doesn't hurt you if you try. Even reasons like "I had a hard time adjusting to University" are acceptable, though they aren't very salient.

I'm willing to bet that more requests are refused than granted, but like I said above, go for it. Especially if it's something that was out of your control (illness, death in family, etc.).

What if not taking a full-time course load was a choice? For me, I was just ending an athletics career and with the amount of travel required it was impossible to go to school full-time. However, I could have chosen to quit sport even earlier.

Do you think this would be a legitimate reason?

What if not taking a full-time course load was a choice? For me, I was just ending an athletics career and with the amount of travel required it was impossible to go to school full-time. However, I could have chosen to quit sport even earlier.

Do you think this would be a legitimate reason?

Sure. It's worth a shot.

Archived