MCAT:

MCAT score:

ECs:

Pubs:

EC score:

References info:

Reference score:

Total score:

Let's try to get some insights into this mysterious process. The subjective review of GPA makes me uncomfortable.

It is pointless to try unsolving this mystery.

GPA: This is scored subjectively. We don't know if care what courses you took, how many you took per semester, difficulty of the courses, recommended courses etc

ECs: probably the most subjective part, almost impossible to predict

MCAT: the only thing where we know our score before submitting application.

I know a couple people who interviewed one year, didn't get in so they improved their gpa and some EC's and then were rejected pre-interview the next year.

Yup, there is definitely the subjectivity factor at play here. It is also possible that the rubric they use to assess each section from year to year changes, so really...there is no knowing unless you're on the Ad Com.

To clarify, there IS a subjective and an objective component to GPA. Part of it has to do with your actual grades, the other has to do with what courses you've taken and is assessed by the scorer. No idea how this is scored from person to person.

And yes...I can vouch for the truth that you can get waitlisted one year and not make it to interview the next. That probably reflects variability in the applicant pool from year to year AS WELL as inevitable variability in scoring the subjective areas each year.

Do your best to show yourself in a positive light, and then let it go. What you get one year doesn't dictate what you'll get the next time around.

Good luck! :)

LL

It is pointless to try unsolving this mystery.

GPA: This is scored subjectively. We don't know if care what courses you took, how many you took per semester, difficulty of the courses, recommended courses etc

ECs: probably the most subjective part, almost impossible to predict

MCAT: the only thing where we know our score before submitting application.

I know a couple people who interviewed one year, didn't get in so they improved their gpa and some EC's and then were rejected pre-interview the next year.

For OOP applicants, isn't there only an objective component (the formula) to determine an interview? Or is there some subjective thing in here too

What you're referring to is the algorithmn to determine if you get a full file review (so, to see if they even bother checking your ECs, etc.), and yes, that is completely objective.

I went to previous years threads and the manual and this is what I gathered about the GPA.

They look at the courses you have taken, especially those relating to medicine and how you did in them. So they probably look at courses like biochemistry, immunology, physiology, etc to come up with the score.

Someone also mentioned that one of the office administrators said that they dont look for trends. This make sense since that way they would be asking you to also place your courses by each term. However, I still have difficulty fully swalloing that since calgray app arranges the GPA according to the highest to the lowest. For me this was 3rd year. So my 3rd year was at the top...

In another post I remember the following: 2 year GPA + courses and their preperation for medicine (virology, anatomy etc.)

I wonder how they grade someone from a humanities background with limited or no courses.

I hate mysteries!

Archived