Premed 101 Forums

One of my referees is 'pending'...

I know you premeds are worried.

Applicants ARE NOT penalized for the tardiness of referees - unless it is past December or something. That is complete fact.

Relax a bit.

I don't think thats the worry here, its the fact that letters may be lost and we won't know until we get our letter from OMSAS

I saw one of my referees as "currently outstanding" as well so I called him. He said that he sent the letter a month and a half ago. But then I asked "Are you sure you sent the letter to OMSAS, in Guelph?". And he said "Oh. I thought you were talking about that other one you had me do." I'm applying to U of Calgary as well and this whole time he thought I kept reminding him to finish the Calgary reference. I had to go back into OMSAS and send him the referee form again. I know that for most of you, the date on the confidential assessment form is before October 1st. Do I have anything to worry about here, because my form says October 5th????

Ok, that's really good to hear. It's just reading the MAC portion of the guide is disheartening, since they specifically mentioned something about a strict Oct 1st deadline for the reference letters.

yeah, they do mention it in the omsas pdf file, but others here have verified from Mac admissions that they will accept them after the oct 1st deadline. So don't worry :)

and I don't know why one of my referees still says "currently outstanding" when she sent it about a month ago.

yeah, they do mention it in the omsas pdf file, but others here have verified from Mac admissions that they will accept them after the oct 1st deadline. So don't worry :)

and I don't know why one of my referees still says "currently outstanding" when she sent it about a month ago.

One of my references had sent the letter out five weeks ago and it is still outstanding. My guess is a few get lost in the midst of ~12 000 reference letters. I just asked mine if she could resend and she did not (noticebly) mind.

-EC89

Does anyone still have any OMSAS letters and/or transcripts as Currently Outstanding"?

My file doesn't seem to have been updated since the 4th of October.

It's starting to get really frustrating. One of my missing letters was sent in on the 24th of September!

If you've still got some that say they're waiting, I'd love to know I'm not the only one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One of my references STILL isn't received, even though he said he sent it 3 weeks ago and again last week.

Should I assume they have it and just haven't updated my file yet? Do you think I should ask him to send it AGAIN? Should I drive this one ever personally (even though it will take me over an hour)?

One of my references STILL isn't received, even though he said he sent it 3 weeks ago and again last week.

Should I assume they have it and just haven't updated my file yet? Do you think I should ask him to send it AGAIN? Should I drive this one ever personally (even though it will take me over an hour)?

I would suggest asking your referee to send it in by registered mail, which you can track online (of course you should compensate your referee for the cost). Since the deadline is looming fast, I would not risk it.

It took OMSAS only 2 days (send out Mon, updated Wed) to update my application with "received" so 3 weeks is quite quite unusual.

Archived