Premed 101 Forums

Hi I am a first year student currently studying at Langara College.

I am getting a GPA of 3.50 on all my courses.

Here are all the transferable courses I have completed so far:

BIOL 1115 & 1215 => UBC BIOL 111, 121, 140

MATH 1171 => UBC MATH 100

PHYS 1101 => UBC PHYS 101

JAPN 1115 => UBC JAPN 100

JAPN 1215 => UBC JAPN 101

CHIN 2221 => UBC CHIN 205

If I use these courses and transfer to UBC Faculty of Science 2nd year, do I have a high chance of getting accepted?

P.S. I am thinking of taking 1st year English and Chemistry courses in UBC AFTER I transferred (hopefully ;s)

Hi I am a first year student currently studying at Langara College.

I am getting a GPA of 3.50 on all my courses.

Here are all the transferable courses I have completed so far:

BIOL 1115 & 1215 => UBC BIOL 111, 121, 140

MATH 1171 => UBC MATH 100

PHYS 1101 => UBC PHYS 101

JAPN 1115 => UBC JAPN 100

JAPN 1215 => UBC JAPN 101

CHIN 2221 => UBC CHIN 205

If I use these courses and transfer to UBC Faculty of Science 2nd year, do I have a high chance of getting accepted?

P.S. I am thinking of taking 1st year English and Chemistry courses in UBC AFTER I transferred (hopefully ;s)

All depends on your transfer GPA. If you have completed 24-30 credits then theyll only use those to calculate your admission GPA, if not then your high school transcripts will factor in too. If youre transferring to Science second year then a transfer GPA of 73% and above based on most recent 30 credits transferrable is enough to get acceptance. That was the cutoff for this years transfer to science. Also I have a hunch that If you havnt done english then those will be the only courses that you might be able to take in your first semester. Look up UBC Viewbook 2010 for details.

All depends on your transfer GPA. If you have completed 24-30 credits then theyll only use those to calculate your admission GPA, if not then your high school transcripts will factor in too. If youre transferring to Science second year then a transfer GPA of 73% and above based on most recent 30 credits transferrable is enough to get acceptance. That was the cutoff for this years transfer to science. Also I have a hunch that If you havnt done english then those will be the only courses that you might be able to take in your first semester. Look up UBC Viewbook 2010 for details.

really. 73. really.

really. 73. really.

Approximately yes. There is a percentage range on this site https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/counsellors/gpa.ezc?pageID=1356.

I had a friend who ddnt get the early acceptance in february this year but was later accepted in mid june. An advisor told him that for science they usually keep the boundary line at 3.0 GPA UBC scale (which is 73%). His percentage applying first from SFU was 69%, later when he was accepted it was 73. something %.

It says on the science transfer site "Students accepted on transfer from other post-secondary institutions must have credit for MATH 100 (or equivalent). They also must either have met the English requirement or be eligible to enrol in first-year English before they can register in any courses for credit. Students who have accumulated 60 or more credits either at UBC or elsewhere, and who have not fulfilled the English requirement, will not be permitted to enrol in courses other than first-year English until the requirement is met".

Unless your year level is determined to be 3 you can register for other courses in 2nd year provided you can register in english concurrently. So no disadvantage in your case. But ring up admissions for confirmation too.

you could always call the faculty of science and ask them if you would be at a disadvantage...

or maybe you could stay at langara for another year- is there a specific reason you want to transfer to ubc for 2nd year?

Well my parents are really picky when I went to Langara. They say if I can't make it to UBC 2nd year, then I must go to SFU instead.

Also, currently I took the LPI test twice but failed to reach UBC's requirement.

I am planning to take ENGL 1121 (which is non-transferable) in Langara in order to take ENGL 1127 (equivalent to UBC ENGL 112).

But by the time I am taking ENGL 1127, it would be in summer semester. Does this still affect my chances of transferring?

Archived