Premed 101 Forums

Question about McMaster elective scheduling

Hi,

I'm starting to set up visiting electives for my fourth year (I'm in a program with a condensed preclinical phase and I start fourth year in March), and I'm confused about a couple of points on the process of scheduling electives with McMaster. Specifically, the application asks me for my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices of elective... now, I'd like to do the full 8 weeks I'm allowed to do, as a visiting student, at Mac, and I'd like to do it in 2-3 different specialties. I'm wondering if I have to submit a separate application for each of those specialties, and if, as I'm really dreading, I would have to pay an additional 450 dollars for each additional application I send in. The alternative, which I'm really hoping for, is that I can use that one form, and make choices 1, 2, and 3 the three electives that I want to do, and I'll be scheduled for all of them at once.

Has anyone else had experience with this?

Alex

Hey Alex,

I just started my first of 6 weeks worth of electives at Mac. When I applied, I just used the one application form for all 3 electives (2 weeks each) and paid the $300 fee ($100 each) and that's it. They scheduled/ confirmed each elective at different times, but all I needed to submit was one application form.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, and I should clarify, I'm coming from an American school, so my electives will be charged at the extremely-much-higher international rate. I'm really hoping they're not going to charge me 450 a pop... I don't know if I can stomach that much money for two months of electives when it costs 80 bucks to do the same time in the States. Unfortunately I may have to, since I very badly want to return to Ontario for residency.

Anyone with knowledge of the McMaster application process have any thoughts?

Archived