Premed 101 Forums

Is it worth applying

Definitely Apply.

Its a really easy and quick application.

I'm sure you will get an interview!

Good Luck.

- Lupe :cool:

Thanks for the reply Lupe! Your are very helpful!

I just calculated my GPA and it turns out that my GPA is only going to be 4.38-4.39/4.5 (if you remove 6 or 7 courses)

Would I still be competitive as an OOP? I only have 10.8 ish MCAT, which is pretty mediocre. I know that MCAT is weighted heavily and GPA is worth very little, which is not good for me

What do you think? Thanks!

Thanks for the reply Lupe! Your are very helpful!

I just calculated my GPA and it turns out that my GPA is only going to be 4.38-4.39/4.5 (if you remove 6 or 7 courses)

Would I still be competitive as an OOP? I only have 10.8 ish MCAT, which is pretty mediocre. I know that MCAT is weighted heavily and GPA is worth very little, which is not a good for me

What do you think? Thanks!

I think APPLY!!!!!!!!!!

I think this is the second year Manitoba is using this formula.

And they haven't posted any stats. I couldn't find any. And in fact they removed the older stats they had up.

So no one really knows what the cutoffs are and what the caliber of applicants are going to be.

So apply. It's an easy application!

- Lupe

I think APPLY!!!!!!!!!!

I think this is the second year Manitoba is using this formula.

And they haven't posted any stats. I couldn't find any. And in fact they removed the older stats they had up.

So no one really knows what the cutoffs are and what the caliber of applicants are going to be.

So apply. It's an easy application!

- Lupe

Last year I believe OOP interview invite was avg. 11.3-11.5 and accepted students were avg. 12.3 and median 12.5.

A 4.39/4.5 is very very solid GPA but it becomes a game of how they convert your operative MCAT score into the 73.3% used for interview invites and the 40% for post-interview. If its your oMCAT/best MCAT (14.8) then you aren`t far off. But if an 11.5 is exponentially higher than a 10.8 then the odds come down.

I think with a 4.39 you might stand a shot at an interview, but IMO its slim. I just think that since GPA only counts for 15% in the final review that you are facing a pretty large disadvantage in the final review.

Having said that, other than the fee it does no harm :) Either way, you have sick marks and you have a great shot at a GPA heavy school

Last year I believe OOP interview invite was avg. 11.3-11.5 and accepted students were avg. 12.3 and median 12.5.

A 4.39/4.5 is very very solid GPA but it becomes a game of how they convert your operative MCAT score into the 73.3% used for interview invites and the 40% for post-interview. If its your oMCAT/best MCAT (14.8) then you aren`t far off. But if an 11.5 is exponentially higher than a 10.8 then the odds come down.

I think with a 4.39 you might stand a shot at an interview, but IMO its slim. I just think that since GPA only counts for 15% in the final review that you are facing a pretty large disadvantage in the final review.

Having said that, other than the fee it does no harm :) Either way, you have sick marks and you have a great shot at a GPA heavy school

Just curious.

Where did you get those numbers?

- Lupe

"the early OP statistics from this past year are; an average AGPA of 4.05 and an MCAT score of 12.1."

Thats what I was quoted from the admissions guy ryan mitchell when I looked into it. I would have applied but my mcat is around a 10.5ish and its worth soooo freaking much pre-interview I was scared off I think close to 73 perecent of ur pre interview score. and I have a 4.29ish gpa. I am waiting to see what my rewrite score will be in a week or so. Let us know how u fair this cycle if you end up applying.

"the early OP statistics from this past year are; an average AGPA of 4.05 and an MCAT score of 12.1."

Thats what I was quoted from the admissions guy ryan mitchell when I looked into it.

average accepted or interviewed? I'm wondering how my 11.5 will hold up, since theyre crazy about the MCAT.

Don't pay attention to him.

I advise everyone to ignore this fellow.

He's spreading false information and has made several inappropriate comments.

- Lupe

I agree, codename pedobear, really.

Anyways, Lupe I picked up the admissions stats from a UofM website and the interview stats I very unofficially discovered on a thread in this forum which had no supporting evidence at all. But it seems logical as an interview average and I am pretty confident on the admissions average/median. It used to be posted at:

http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/admissions/index.html

but as you can see the statistics link is now dead. Either way as best as I can recall it was oMCAT 12.5, aGPA 4.26/4.5 or something in that region.

The early admissions avg for OOP for in the 12s and 4.2ish. However, the average of admitted oop students was much lower...around 11.6ish and 4.05 or something like that.

As long as you are about 4.00 and your MCAT is at least in the mid 11s, you should expect an interviews.

That is a damn good point, I had never considered that the statistics they released we for the initial batch of acceptance letters and not for those that got in off a waitlist. That makes me super happy :)

That is a damn good point, I had never considered that the statistics they released we for the initial batch of acceptance letters and not for those that got in off a waitlist. That makes me super happy :)

Me too. Anyone else finds Manitoba's app feels sketchy though? It just felt like I was applying for a job at Tim Horton's.... ahaha I guess with all the complications of OMSAS etc. it almost felt too good to be true.

Me too. Anyone else finds Manitoba's app feels sketchy though? It just felt like I was applying for a job at Tim Horton's.... ahaha I guess with all the complications of OMSAS etc. it almost felt too good to be true.

Less free doughnuts unfortunately :P Yeah it took about 30 minutes to fill in and it took me a while to convince myself that it was all I needed to do.

The early admissions avg for OOP for in the 12s and 4.2ish. However, the average of admitted oop students was much lower...around 11.6ish and 4.05 or something like that.

As long as you are about 4.00 and your MCAT is at least in the mid 11s, you should expect an interviews.

Hmm...

Dunno about this.

I'm sure a ton of OOPs are around 11.x and 4.00+.

I certainly am, and my stats are nothing to write home about...

@ OP - definitely worth a try. It's just $125. I'm throwing away over a grand on med school apps.... while knowing that the likelihood of a) acceptance is low B) getting out of my current situation is low and; c) intersection of a and b is even lower :P

I liked that it was so simple! Also eliminates the useless "padding" that I'm sure we all did with 48 EC spots to fill on the OMSAS app :P

Archived