Premed 101 Forums

Silly question: What to say to an MSc offer?

So I applied for 3 MSc positions thinking I'd be lucky to get one and somehow got all three. This leads me to have to reject two which is super awkward. The lab I am about 90% decided I want to join (if meds falls through) has already sent me an email accepting me. Would it be appropriate to write back saying that I need to think about all my choices? They are aware that I interviewed at other places. I just don't want them to get the impression that I don't want to go to their lab since they are my first choice, but I just need to be 100% sure before I confirm!

It may seem like a strange question but this grad school thing is so new to me, I'm paranoid I'll say something out of line or piss someone off so they take back their offer! So would an email like this be ok:

"Thank you very much for the offer. This is a very important decision for me and I'd like to take a little bit of time to contemplatemy my options. I'm very excited about the possibility of entering your lab and I will get back to you by next week if that's alright."

Any input? I got the initial acceptance on Thursday, so I need to email the prof back soon!

So I applied for 3 MSc positions thinking I'd be lucky to get one and somehow got all three. This leads me to have to reject two which is super awkward. The lab I am about 90% decided I want to join (if meds falls through) has already sent me an email accepting me. Would it be appropriate to write back saying that I need to think about all my choices? They are aware that I interviewed at other places. I just don't want them to get the impression that I don't want to go to their lab since they are my first choice, but I just need to be 100% sure before I confirm!

It may seem like a strange question but this grad school thing is so new to me, I'm paranoid I'll say something out of line or piss someone off so they take back their offer! So would an email like this be ok:

"Thank you very much for the offer. This is a very important decision for me and I'd like to take a little bit of time to contemplatemy my options. I'm very excited about the possibility of entering your lab and I will get back to you by next week if that's alright."

Any input? I got the initial acceptance on Thursday, so I need to email the prof back soon!

your response sounds fine to me. A lot of people have multiple acceptances for Msc and have to go through this so this is something potential advisors commonly have to deal with :)

It is most certainly a very important decision and not one to be made quickly. MAKE SURE YOU SPEAK TO GRAD STUDENTS IN THE LAB YOU INTEND TO WORK IN BEFORE COMMITTING THERE.

I would ask for a little time, but don't take too long. Some profs have the 'ooh shiny bright object' mentality and if someone else comes along who they think is equally appealing, they might just offer them a position outright and that person might take it outright and that leaves you with nothing. Don't say no until your first choice is set in stone.

Good luck! What an exciting step for you...grad school can really have its ups and downs!;)

Archived