Premed 101 Forums

29, 30, 28.... 43, wtf?

I am in a very strange situation. I am also an unusual applicant, although from what I can tell, I'm not unusual an unusual person...

Citizenship: Canadian, and US

Current Resident: US

Undergrad GPA: 3.5's

Masters GPA: 3.8-3.9's

MCAT scores from 10+ years ago: 29R, 30Q, 28R

Most recent MCAT score: 43T

I was wondering how my application, and in particular, my MCAT's will be perceived. In the past, I had only applied to Canadian schools.

I did quite well in my first two years of university and then became heavily involved with student government in order to boost my extracurricular activities - in retrospect, perhaps a big mistake! My marks went down quite a bit as the full time position was more than I bargained for - I was the vice president at a large university. I received interviews even before completing my degree, which was not unusual at that time, however, I did not get accepted after interviews.

I then got a masters as my interest in medicine was still there, but I wanted to improve my profile for subsequent applications in the meantime. I applied, and again was interviewed, but no acceptances.

I then worked for 2 years in research, publishing as first author in several high impact journals in my field. As I was smothered in debt at this point from student loans and was only managing to scrape by on the research salary, I decided to go to law school so that I could start making more money to pay off my debts.

Fast forward about 10 years. I am now a practicing lawyer in New York at a well-known firm. I have a family, but still have a burning desire to be a doctor. I enjoyed the scientific aspect of medicine when I was a researcher, and have saved up enough money to comfortably put myself through school without taking on any loans. Over the past several years, I have continued with some research on the side, medicolegal issues, in collaboration with a local hospital. To date, I have 15+ first author papers in various scientific journals, and numerous second or third author papers. My wife is also very supportive of the idea to pursue a dream I have put on hold since my 20's.

I recently retook the MCAT and got 43T. To be honest, when I was studying for my previous tests (10+ years ago), I also scored quite high, but did much worse on the real test. 10 years later... finally! Any opinion on how taking the MCAT multiple times will affect my application? I know it's frowned upon and they may consider the most recent score simply a fluke.

Nah, they won't consider 43T a fluke. You have a shot at U/T and @ McGill, depending upon your best 2 years, last 2 years at Quuen's and UWO. And then you have the US schools. I think you are in a good place to pursue your dream. A firend got his 2 law degrees in Canada, passed the NY Bars, joined a Wall Street law firm and what is he doing now? Investment banker. Good

luck!

If you are serious, 43T is no fluke. A score that's 4+ higher than usual could be a fluke, but even if you wanted to consider that score a fluke, it's still so strong it doesn't matter. Let's say it was a fluke, and you would usually score ~37R (which is already a pretty big numerical difference); a 37R is still an absolutely fantastic score.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that no matter what chance factors were involved, a 43T MCAT is untouchable.

I'm not sure about this, but many Cdn schools won't even consider 5-yr-old scores.

Congrats!

I'm not sure if Queen's will consider your Masters marks to be your last 2 yrs. There is a strong rumour that people with a grad degree get an interview if they meet the MCAT cutoff, no matter their undergrad scores.

I just wanted to say--congratulations on an exceptional MCAT score. You can't "fluke" a 43T, and you should be proud of that score.

I'm pretty sure that given your experience and that MCAT score, you'll be able to find placement.

I don't think taking the MCAT multiple times is "frowned upon"--at least not at most Canadian schools--and the fact that your old scores are from 10+ years ago makes them even less relevant today.

You've got the financial means and personal support necessary to pursue your dream, which is more than most people have in life. Go for it!

Check out the sticky at the top of this forum. If you're above a 3.0 for your undergrad marks and have a graduate degree you get some special considerations at some schools. Queens will not use your masters as your last two years, but they will consider you if you have above a 3.0 as long as you meet the MCAT cutoffs, which it doesn't look like you'll have a problem with:p

Good luck!

• 2 months later...
Just curious... why would someone go to the trouble of posting this hoax? So people can say nice things to you? :confused:

I have the same question... I mean, maybe I'm gullible/naive, but it seems more likely someone with this sort of story exists than someone actually getting anything out of lying about this sort of thing---on an anonymous online bulletin board.

Bof. But if there's something I'm learning it's to never be surprised by the strange things people are capable of.

I recently retook the MCAT and got 43T. To be honest, when I was studying for my previous tests (10+ years ago), I also scored quite high, but did much worse on the real test. 10 years later... finally! Any opinion on how taking the MCAT multiple times will affect my application? I know it's frowned upon and they may consider the most recent score simply a fluke.

.... 43T is an amazing score, and it is certainly no fluke!!

I would love to hear how you studied and for how long. Please share :)

Archived