Premed 101 Forums

opinions ? much appreciated.

codeblue

Hi,

Applied to med for 2011. GPA isn't the best. Neither is my MCAT.

Just wanted some advice. I've got the opportunity to start a masters program now and work on my MCAT, or take some upgrade undergraduate classes in January and during the summer and work on my MCAT (which would include some additional prereq courses).

Assuming I do not get into med for 2011 what do you think would give me a stronger application for 2012? I think that taking undergrad course NOW and january would be best, but unfortunately at this point I can only do some more undergrad courses in Jan/Summer.

Thanks!

Ya i'm just worried the masters might not be for me, and a withdrawl doesn't look so great (if it happens I guess I could say I wanted to focus on med prereqs?).

Also taking those courses would give me prereqs, something to consider.

Any other thoughts anyone ?

Ya i'm just worried the masters might not be for me, and a withdrawl doesn't look so great (if it happens I guess I could say I wanted to focus on med prereqs?).

doing a masters just to boost your med school chances is a bad idea, because you might be miserable for two years. if you enjoy research, find a good lab, and dont get in, it's a great backup plan, and can benefit you a lot in the long run.... but i wouldn't do it just to help your med app

I guess it would be a good start if you give your exact GPA and MCAT Score so people can evaluate your chances more accurately.

However, a masters never hurts, you must ask yourself these questions:

1:Am i ready to waste another 2-3 yearson studies hoping to improve my chances, which are not guaranteed to be a 100% success ?

2:Is it my only option if i get rejected ? Caribbean/D.O./Aussie Faculties look good for Medical education and some of them really have lower standards.

If you choose the masters route, take something you like, otherwise you're burned.

Applied to MAC / NOSM.

Ontario & BC resident. Undergrad finished at UBC, average for my time there = 81%.

GPA 3.6, last 2 years 3.53. V 12. Redoing the MCAT for next app cycle if I don't get in. V is the only thing that matters this go around anyways. Very good EC's. My undergrad is in nursing.

My options:

- masters, course based, might snag me another good ref and a good grad GPA, plus the MSc...

- january/summer courses, mostly science prereqs, which I don't have (chem, orgo, physics)

Recommendations ?

I think you should do the pre-reqs. Then you can apply to UBC. Your GPA is OK for UBC.

If you aren't committed to the masters, then don't do it. :)

I'd love to hear your opinion on UBC nursing. I'm considering doing the 2-yr program there- feel free to PM me with any info!

Here's another idea- do a little bit of volunteer research. It will give you a good ref too (probably).

Where are you considering doing your course-based masters?

you mean my GPA ? specifically...

last 2 years is 3.53

first 2 is around 3.81

best 2 full time years would be first year 3.81 and last year 3.5something

I would definitely go for the undergrad upgrade and prereqs, yes, BUT, i'm just concerned about them not being in the traditional school year - therefore not counting for some schools etc ?

thoughts?

A lot of schools having weighting formulas for students that didn't do so well in their earlier undergrad (ie: Ottawa, Queens, UBC's last 60 and generally UofT if you have a full courseload), but in your case it's your final two years that are the dip. If you do a Masters with your current GPA, I'm not really sure how much it'd ultimately help your application. It's a long shot possibility if you have really excellent ECs and publications out of your Masters, but ultimately the counterbalance of a Masters over a not great (for meds) GPA isn't all that significant.

If you really nail your MCAT, you may have more options for the US and overseas, but, in my opinion, if you want to be a strong candidate in Canada, I would probably get two solid full-time years of marks under your belt to bring up your cGPA / allow for best-last two years to count for your application. My opinon.

actually i just took another look at my GPA...

so here is the deal:

first year = 3.83

second year I only took one semester = 3.81

third year i transfer to nursing which started in january, so i did a january and a summer semester here = 3.40

fourth year = 3.7

so does this change anything ? man this is a tough choice, part of me feels like spending this year doing prereqs in undergrad is a step backwards compared to the masters... mainly because i won't be in an official 'program' you know ?

man how I wished I would taken full time courses this semester

yep, basically... course based masters now, or undergrad courses including science prereq's that i don't have (chem, physics) in january and summer terms (unforunately I am at this decision now and not 4 weeks ago, so i guess i'm screwed on the full time year rule at some universities...)

i applied for mac and NOSM 2011, V = 12

very much appreciated...

Your 3rd and 4th year are not competitive GPA-wise and it seems that your second year wasn't full time so most schools won't look at it.

You said you switched into nursing after second year - does this mean you have at least one more year or are you finished nursing?

If you did an extra full-time year and did well enough GPA-wise you'd get interviews at UWO and Queens, assuming you keep that 12 verbal and the rest of your MCAT is ahead of the cutoffs.

If you're dead-set on school in Canada then you'll probably have to boost your GPA with more undergrad, as the vast majority of schools don't count masters work when calculating GPA's and cut-offs. The school's in Ontario that do look at Masters (Mac, UT) unfortunately also look at cumulative GPA which at this point isn't your strong suit.

As doc2law mentioned, you can consider going to Ireland/Aus/DO. Alternately you should consider doing more full-time undergrad to boost your marks which are ultimately the most important factor for getting interviews in Canada.

If you aren't excited to do a master's and go down that route then it probably isn't for you. It will be a ton of work, multiple years, and for vast majority of schools, it won't get you closer to an interview.

Were I in your shoes I'd do more undergrad. That said, you have to decide what works best for you.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

thanks, about sums it up

i am done nursing undergrad, in the masters program now

i agree that one more full time upgrade year will definitely be the best route, however I can't do the fall semester anymore, to late, i would have to do winter/summer this year... soooo winter/summer will not be counted as an upgrade year right... not the traditional school year, sucks

Archived