Premed 101 Forums

To my fellow pre-med haters.

Doc2Law

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you should read again, i added the source in the middle of the post.

Oh and the blog original poster is not "a jerk" or "unprofessional", he's being realistic, which is something roughly 60% of actual Medical Students on these boards don't have as a quality.

You think this guy is a jerk ? Wait until Residency begins or when you start competing for Fellowship spots, you'll love it ;)

I'm basing my assessment on having read numerous posts there in the past, not on the "premed haters" post which you borrowed for some reason. But I don't quite understand why someone who finished med school several years before this site even existed would suddenly come here now to tell off a bunch of premeds. Frankly, it's bizarre. Anyway, time for bed. Handover is at 8.

I think you're being overly presumptuous.

He's just being honest about his opinions and was unprofessionally treated. I like him because he reflects a minority of people who are open about how they really feel, even if he may do it unprofessionally (it's a personal website so he has no obligation to be "professional" anyways); he's likely angry about some of the abuse he incurred, which does indeed happen on occasion, and is reacting in a very human way, much in the same way I've also seen doctors react to trying situations with grossly inappropriate humour or anger, as they too are human and require coping mechanisms. Medicine is not composed of flawless people, who are not prone to emotion, anger, and frustration, but people like you and me and him.

When I say patient contact, I mean the human aspect of patient contact, not the traditional interpretation of taking a history and physical. To me, significant patient contact is seeing 6-7 patients a day for approximately 30-45 minutes and learning about their lives, their plans for the futures, their ideas about themselves, how others perceive them, their self identity, etc.

I'm not talking about being a trainee, but a practicing physician; I have other interests in life, and many other ways I'd like to contribute to the world other than practicing medicine, thus, even 10-11 hours seems arduous and prohibitive of those goals.

Scut was a term I idiosyncratically used to identify loitering at the hospital for an excessive amount of time, it has no valuative basis to it: if you enjoy being a neurosurgeon and spending a good chunk of your life at the the hospital, that's great, I'm glad that you're happy. I'm also glad you could do your run, I wan't to balance multiple careers and enjoy some of the gifts life has to offer outside of medicine; perhaps even, by freeing myself of excessive clinical duties I can make a more positive impact in people's lives than by practicing for longer hours.

Please don't try and demean me by supposing all I've been exposed to is clinics, for one, I could care less what you think, and for the latter, it's irrelevant to the argument made in your post, and unprofessional.

I'm going to be able to get a job that affords me 30 hours and good pay (six figures) because I plan to run my own practice... all I need is an office and a secretary; I also plan to go into a rather unpopular specialty that's in particular demand, so I doubt I'll have trouble finding work. In fact, I know several practitioners in the specialty who do less than 30 hours a week. I also want to work 30 hours a week so I feel that I, personally, can give the most to my patients, by keeping up to date on the latest research, and by making sure I am mentally prepared to handle my patients difficulties.

In the past I've worked with drug addicts, murderers, sex offenders, the mentally disabled, the elderly, the suicidal, the mentally ill, and in reality, a good portion of the above will be my future patients, so to say that I'm looking for sunshine and butterflies is bit off; the patients I enjoy working with often make people feel uncomfortable, are less likely to get access to care than your average patient, often don't want to live, and are fairly low on the ER intake list... so that 30 hours I'm spending will likely be with patients people working 60 hours with are uncomfortable seeing, so now who's looking for sunshine and butterflies?

I think he's a jerk, not because he decided to leave medicine entirely but because the attitude he seems to display in most of his posts is grossly unprofessional. Not suited to medicine at all. I do think that Doc2Law's evident plagiarizing of random websites and blogs is a clear enough sign of trolldom as we're going to get.

I don't know when you'd ever "scut" around the hospital for 18 hours a day with such minimal patient contact. You're going to do, say, admission histories and physicals in 3 minutes? Give me a break. Call aside, I've had a few days so far which have clocked in around 10 or 11 hours, but I'm rapidly learning how to write notes and even do dictations a lot more efficiently. Going home by handover is largely a function of getting necessary work done with a modicum of efficiency. If there's one major issue with clerkship so far, it's finding time enough to read around patients between all the other stuff you have to do. The bottom line, though, is that you need to learn by doing all this stuff, and I see no reason why you think trainees ought to have control over their "work environment".

I can't say "lifestyle" has been an issue at all. I was still able to go home for a weekend and do Run for the Cure. As an aside, though, anyone who thinks that peds offers a "chill" lifestyle as a rotation has probably never experienced anything but clinics.

Fair enough, but I don't know why think you're going to be able to get a job with a 30 hour work week and "good pay". I think that's a ridiculous sense of entitlement. That's not to say clinical medicine is all sunshine and flowers (certainly not if I were to get into some of the stuff that went on today on the peds floor), but it reflects all the diversity of society - and the good and bad that goes with it.

I'm confused. Why is it Doc2Law? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Law2Doc?

yea, that confused me too

10 char - - -

You make mistakes when choose something as elaborate as being a 10 year veteran anesthesiologist with lawyer credentials posting on pre-med forums.

Notice how the title states "FELLOW pre-med haters".... he/she unconsciously admitted to being a fellow pre-med just like us! :D

EDIT: I also remember that he/she didn't automatically have his/her sig set to his professional history... it was something else when he/she first started posting... hmm...

Doc2Law, you really shouldn't take to heart what a bunch of anonymous people on an internet forum say about you:)

The bottom line is, who cares?

P.S.: Law2Doc was already taken by another member of the forum, so I guess that's what explains the Doc2Law thing...

Doc2Law, you really shouldn't take to heart what a bunch of anonymous people on an internet forum say about you:)

The bottom line is, who cares?

P.S.: Law2Doc was already taken by another member of the forum, so I guess that's what explains the Doc2Law thing...

Is this one of Doc2law's other accounts? lol

Law2Doc is not taken, Neither is LawtoDoc taken for that matter. Weak.

I don't really care if you have a law degree and a medical. If you are helpful here and contribute intellectually then I don't have any issues. I think that if you really wanted to prove people wrong. You could always take pictures of your licenses. Obviously you can still fake that but it would be a start. Then again who cares what anyone else thinks!

Archived