Premed 101 Forums

Drug testing in meds

When you and your split personality, who I was addressing the post to, read my best selling books in the future, I'll be sure to put in a bit more effort to check my spelling and grammar; unfortunately, I don't get paid to write missives on forums, and even if it would only take me an extra couple minutes to look over, I already spent 5 minutes on that post.

Unfortunately, I think at this stage the anti-psychotics may be more useful for treating psychosis than for getting to sleep, therefore, a much higher dosage would be needed.

Dissociative drugs like dextromethorphan can be very dangerous and lead to respiratory depression, and I strongly discourage you from abusing them, especially if you are experiencing multiple personalities with memory lapses. I urge you to consult your doctor immediately!

Oh, how I like this post. Starting in paragraph 5: "secular humanism...moral relativism...post-modern, deconstructivist...epistemological...ontological...pseudo-inteligentsia, post-modern, ostentatious, perceived secular humanist language". I'm a big fan of when someone pretends to be pretentious in order to prove a point (which I sincerely hope was your aim, and not that you actually speak like that...if you do, however, I apologize for judging). However, it generally zings a bit better when all the spelling and grammar is correct. Zing!

That said, I enjoy your and the opposing views. They make for interesting reading. Personally, a good night-time cough syrup is my drug of choice.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We must not judge, he's clearly suffering from some sort of mental illness. I've seen multiple personal disorder a couple times, one girl I saw had four, and some of them didn't know the others existed, so he might legitimately not know that his alternate personality has an account. We must also remember that many people with dissociative personality disorder also have PTSD. Reading my post might have been so traumatic to him, as to create multiple personalities as a defence mechanism to prevent himself from re-living the traumatic event.

Welcome on the forum new comer or alternate ego.

Don't know who this person is, but if the best rebuttal you can come up with is that they're not a real person, then this conversation has definitely degenerated from borderline pitiful to disgracefully pitiful.

Welcome on the forum new comer or alternate ego.

When you and your split personality, who I was addressing the post to, read my best selling books in the future, I'll be sure to put in a bit more effort to check my spelling and grammar; unfortunately, I don't get paid to write missives on forums, and even if it would only take me an extra couple minutes to look over, I already spent 5 minutes on that post.

Unfortunately, I think at this stage the anti-psychotics may be more useful for treating psychosis than for getting to sleep, therefore, a much higher dosage would be needed.

Dissociative drugs like dextromethorphan can be very dangerous and lead to respiratory depression, and I strongly discourage you from abusing them, especially if you are experiencing multiple personalities with memory lapses. I urge you to consult your doctor immediately!

Look. If you are a doctor caught using illegal drugs, or prescription drugs without a prescription, you can lose you licence or be removed from medical school. That is the truth.

I don't think pot is that harmful personally, and it probably should be decriminalized if not legalized. But seriously, I am amazed at how many doctor wannabes here are advocating the benefits of drugs. Somewhat surprising actually.

And for the person claiming that it is the rich that use drugs, and not the poor - there is NO solid evidence of that anywhere. In popular culture, people seem to think that all those wall street types are doing lines off the bodies of hookers. But wall street types are a tiny minority of all white collar professionals. Most lawyers in omaha nebraska, or little rock arkansas, or white rock bc are not blowing lines off of some hired woman. Drug use, while not uncommon among professionals, is not common either. And there is no evidence that the drug use rates of east hastings (my example, being from Vancouver) is at or less that the rate of drug use on Bay Street.

This thread had one of the least productive discussions I've seen on this board; little respect or acknowledgment of differing arguments from either side.

Look. If you are a doctor caught using illegal drugs, or prescription drugs without a prescription, you can lose you licence or be removed from medical school. That is the truth.
This is all you need to know, close thread, please!

Probably should have left it at that a long time ago.

Don't know who this person is, but if the best rebuttal you can come up with is that they're not a real person, then this conversation has definitely degenerated from borderline pitiful to disgracefully pitiful.

Why did you quote me bomb? I never implied in my post that the alternate ego was you. It just seemed obvious though that the poster was not a new comer, not necessarily you. Don't be so self centered, everything isn't about YOU

Why did you quote me bomb? I never implied in my post that the alternate ego was you. It just seemed obvious though that the poster was not a new comer, not necessarily you. Don't be so self centered, everything isn't about YOU

timebomb didn't imply it anymore than you did, you basically pulled that out of nowhere. Leave him alone

This is all you need to know, close thread, please!

Then it's not well enforced because I know of a handful of practicing MDs that get trashed on E quite frequently and openly in the bars.

I think it's only an issue if it is affecting your patients.

It's also an issue if the club gets raided.

Every year, thousands of people are arrested for possession. Most cases are not criminal - BUT a physician would be reported and even if not charged, have the royal college look into it and take diciplinary action.

Seriously pre-meds - stay away from the illegal drugs. I can't believe how many people are promoting illegal drug use on this forum.

And honestly, this 'handful' of mds that tell a premed that they take E regularly, and you know them, sounds a little convenient to advance your pro illegal drug agenda bloh.

If people here think E, cocaine, pot, lsd, meth or whatever should be ok - try to find a lobby and get political support to change it.

the biggest lobby would be pharma, and cosmetic psychiatry is already profitable enough, if they could slap a patent on MDMA you sure as hell would see it lobbied for with big bucks.

Every year, thousands of people are arrested for possession. Most cases are not criminal - BUT a physician would be reported and even if not charged, have the royal college look into it and take diciplinary action.

Seriously pre-meds - stay away from the illegal drugs. I can't believe how many people are promoting illegal drug use on this forum.

And honestly, this 'handful' of mds that tell a premed that they take E regularly, and you know them, sounds a little convenient to advance your pro illegal drug agenda bloh.

If people here think E, cocaine, pot, lsd, meth or whatever should be ok - try to find a lobby and get political support to change it.

I have no pro-drug agenda whatsoever. I don't even take any but you make it sound like taking drugs is a career-killer when it's not.

Taking illegal drugs and getting caught IS a career killer (or derailer). You will not be able to enter the US for anything (hence you need to try to get a pardon - which is not cheap). Do not think otherwise. Even POT use.

I remember a few premeds a few months ago talking about how drinking and driving is not that big a deal. Seriously. And well, two med students at MAC died because of drinking and driving a month ago.

If you are serious about entering medicine - keep it clean. One mistake, one slip up with a cop catching you - and your career IS in jeopardy. You do it WHILE a med student - and your career is in jeopardy.

I know oto loves his illegal drugs. Well - telling impressionable premeds to be careful with illegal drugs is important. Because getting caught CAN get you into a heap of trouble.

Taking illegal drugs and getting caught IS a career killer (or derailer). You will not be able to enter the US for anything (hence you need to try to get a pardon - which is not cheap). Do not think otherwise. Even POT use.

I remember a few premeds a few months ago talking about how drinking and driving is not that big a deal. Seriously. And well, two med students at MAC died because of drinking and driving a month ago.

If you are serious about entering medicine - keep it clean. One mistake, one slip up with a cop catching you - and your career IS in jeopardy. You do it WHILE a med student - and your career is in jeopardy.

I know oto loves his illegal drugs. Well - telling impressionable premeds to be careful with illegal drugs is important. Because getting caught CAN get you into a heap of trouble.

So ignorant about reality. I know one person who got caught with marijuana crossing the border and she can still cross, but gets hassled and strip searched most of the time. Three of my friends got caught with marijuana. Guess what the cops did? Made them throw the weed in the sewer (they came back the next day and retrieved it, because it didnt land in the sewage water). Records are clean, and they didn't even check for ID.

There was a case of a Belle River doctor who would abuse narcotics and he did not lose his license (could be because its rural and they desperately need doctors). If you think doctors using WEED will put their career in "jeopardy", you really really need a reality check. The college in most times will fight FOR their doctors, not against. You will learn in due time i suppose... in the mean time, chill out! And I know of a couple organic substances that can help you with that ;)

I am talking about drugs in general. Pot might be considered lesser - but it depends on the cop. Not all cops are the same in being lenient. My brothers friend got charged with possession...and guess what...it was on his record for over a year and he couldn't get a single job. If everyone thought marijuana was fine - it would be legal or decriminalized. It is not. It is a CRIME. And while it is not always treated harshly by the courts - IT CAN BE. My recommendation - do not take that risk. And being strip searched/hassled everytime you cross the border - also not fun.

In some cases, if an MD gets charged with narcotic abuse, there are other stories behind it - usually a chronic pain disorder or injury in the past. Those are often looked at with the appropriate context. Taking heroin? Goodbye licence - hello jail sentence.

Let it also be clear. If I (and several other med students would do the same) knew a fellow med student who was using drugs other than pot and had basic evidence - I would report them to the dean and the police. Similarly to how I have called 911 for one drunk driver back in Vancouver once. We don't need that crap from students getting a highly subsidized education and a guaranteed super high paying job where the basic admission criteria includes following Canadian law. If med students so fragrantly flout the law with illegal substances at this stage - it does not portend as well for their basic ethic in the future.

Let it also be clear. If I (and several other med students would do the same) knew a fellow med student who was using drugs other than pot and had basic evidence - I would report them to the dean and the police. Similarly to how I have called 911 for one drunk driver back in Vancouver once. We don't need that crap from students getting a highly subsidized education and a guaranteed super high paying job where the basic admission criteria includes following Canadian law. If med students so fragrantly flout the law with illegal substances at this stage - it does not portend as well for their basic ethic in the future.

Cautioning others against taking the risk is one thing, but this is beyond the pale. So a med student doing shrooms should be reported to the police? I have my doubts that IV drug use or smoking crack pipes are otherwise altogether common among students in professional programs. And even so - what kind of jerk are you that you would turn people in for no other reason than it's "against the law"? The law's an ass.

For the record, I would NOT turn ANYONE in for drug use... if there was an issue of actual abuse, then I would attempt to get that person the appropriate treatment. I'm not sure what "ethics" have to do with this.

Archived