Premed 101 Forums

OOP spots gone up

:

The number of year one positions available for 2011/12 is 288 which includes up to 13 positions available to Aboriginal applicants and up to 4 positions available to applicants to the MD/PhD program. A maximum of 29 positions will be available to out-of-province residents.

edit: perhaps this isn't new information... I just recall seeing posts that OOP spots were going up (but not by how many). This is over double!!

I remember on the website that it was from 12 to 29 or something, and I was so excited because I missed the cutoff by <1.5 last year, but who knows with UBC, they are so random. I think if you get an interview as an OOP, you have a pretty good chance right? I heard the wait list moves a lot for OOP students..

Hey Addy,

I think with the new OOP spots it makes the chance of getting in as an OOP about the same as an IP student post interview. As it stands they interview approx 600 IP applicants and accept approx 250 which is about 42%... They also invite approx 100 OOP applicants (just from the info on the website) so you'd have about a 30% chance of getting accepted. A lot better than years prior.

Now, this may also mean that more OOP students apply so you have a harder time getting an interview as there will be more competitive OOP applications than in previous years, but in theory once you hit the interview stage it should be a bit easier that previous years.

Anyways, good luck to the OOP applicants. Vancouver is a wicked awesome place to live and UBC is a beautiful campus.

Edit: oh and from the information on last years statistics page the waitlist was responsible for 8 of the 12 spots accepted in the program (8 declined offers)... provided my logic is correct...

Archived