Premed 101 Forums

Poor first 2 years + wicked last 2 years

Hey gang,

It's my first post on premed101 (exciting!)....I wanted to get your thoughts on my situation (many others might be in the same boat as me).

I had a 2.7 GPA in my first two years of undergrad, followed by 3.8 in my last two years. Overall OMSAS GPA is 3.2 (having UofT's weighting formula applied barely improves the wGPA to 3.4). I am currently in my last year of PhD with a 4.0 graduate GPA and 3 first author publications in top journals (including a paper that made news headlines). Lots of international conference presentations and prestigious awards and accolades.

How do you guys think I stack up at U of T? As a research school, I think my best bet is with U of T (it's also my preferred school as I did my undergrad and grad work at U of T). Does U of T take into consideration a dramatic improvement in marks towards the latter part of your undergrad?

I also have plenty of ECs, clinical volunteer experience and good MCAT scores (I know MCAT is just a flag at U of T anyway). I'm just worried about the undergrad GPA....any thoughts gang? :)

I would also consider UBC, who look at a lot of non-academics and consider your graduate grades as well. Especially if you have a 4.0, your last 60 credit average will be high. Getting a interview at UofT shouldn't be too difficult so long as you have a good personal statement..

Thanks for the replies!

I can't apply to UBC since I don't meet their 1.0 credit requirement in English.

As for U of T, getting an interview pretty much gives you a 50/50 shot of getting in, correct? Unlike most schools that interview way more students than the number of seats.

Also, I was reading U of T's wGPA policy and I might have to request "special consideration" in one of my years to ensure they apply the formula (I took a full year course that was only worth 0.5 credit, instead of 1.0 credit, which makes my course load for that year at 4.5 credits). I can't seem to get a response from the emails I've sent to the admissions people. Anyone know the protocol?

Thanks gang :)

On BC's FAQ page:

Why is the English Exemption Test (EET) no longer acceptable to fulfill the English requirement?

All applicants applying to the MD Undergraduate Program need to complete a full year of university-level English coursework.

Thanks for the replies!

I can't apply to UBC since I don't meet their 1.0 credit requirement in English.

As for U of T, getting an interview pretty much gives you a 50/50 shot of getting in, correct? Unlike most schools that interview way more students than the number of seats.

Also, I was reading U of T's wGPA policy and I might have to request "special consideration" in one of my years to ensure they apply the formula (I took a full year course that was only worth 0.5 credit, instead of 1.0 credit, which makes my course load for that year at 4.5 credits). I can't seem to get a response from the emails I've sent to the admissions people. Anyone know the protocol?

Thanks gang :)

You should take 1.0 English through distance ed somewhere.

Good luck with the special consideration. There's a question about your transcript reflecting your true ability that you can discuss all these things about.

I would take a chance at uofa and uofc too. UofA will give you 4% for your PhD which can be quite substantial. They will also drop your lowest year and will bump your GPA up a bit.

I hope you actually applied to Toronto for this cycle and you still have some time for uofC/uofA.

I would take a chance at uofa and uofc too. UofA will give you 4% for your PhD which can be quite substantial. They will also drop your lowest year and will bump your GPA up a bit.

I hope you actually applied to Toronto for this cycle and you still have some time for uofC/uofA.

Thanks for the advice. I did indeed apply to UofT this cycle. I am also thinking of UofC as well. UofA, like UBC, unfortunately also requires an English credit which I lack (I really don't understand this requirement given the VR and WS sections of the MCAT reflect your abilities anyway). Taking any more classes to fulfill the English requirements is kind of too late now.

I'm just hoping UofT gives me an interview. Get my foot in the door....I've been at UofT 10 years already (undergrad+grad)....they owe it to me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived