Premed 101 Forums

Opening the flood gates: Foreign dentists can challenge the boards in 2011

Yea I get what your saying but before the drop of the canadian dollar I know american dent grads had at least $400 000 american debt and I was wondering the same thing, where were they getting this money from? I know so many who do not come from well off families (I know this for a fact that their families were not well off) and I know Canadian banks were not giving them that amount so I am still confused how they got the funds. Can anyone who graduated from an american school who is not from a well off family provide insight to this (I don't know if anyone will respond to this request lol). But i'm dying of curiosity.

There is nothing mysterious about this. Before the dollar drop it was a bit More doable for the middle class family 275k bank loan, 30-40k total in Canada student loans and then some family savings and ongoing yearly income to make up the difference.

No one who has attended a us dental school as an international was poor. In some way or another they had family money to help cover the difference. End of story.

There may have been a minority of students with some form of school merit scholarship, but its likely that if they got a scholarship...they probably would've got into a cheaper Canadian school.

You make it sound as if there is something missing from the picture, when there isn't.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is nothing mysterious about this. Before the dollar drop it was a bit More doable for the middle class family 275k bank loan, 30-40k total in Canada student loans and then some family savings and ongoing yearly income to make up the difference.

No one who has attended a us dental school as an international was poor. In some way or another they had family money to help cover the difference. End of story.

There may have been a minority of students with some form of school merit scholarship, but its likely that if they got a scholarship...they probably would've got into a cheaper Canadian school.

You make it sound as if there is something missing from the picture, when there isn't.

Mystery solved. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

We're all in this together.

I'm not advocating to stop the equivalency process or the accreditation of Australian and NZ schools. I'm advocating for output regulation.

The oversupply of dentists in Canada is already becoming a problem for all dentists especially the young grads.

The oversupply of dentists will result in:

1. Difficulty finding good associateships.

2. Difficulty finding a good location to build your office.

3. Difficulty finding a practice to purchase at fair market value. You'll need to bid higher and pay above the fair value of the practice.

4. Building costs for dental clinics will be higher because landlords, contractors and supply companies will have more bargaining power over dentists.

5. Difficulty finding and retaining competent staff. You might have to pay them a lot more, which drives up overhead.

6. Difficulty finding new patients.

I speak from experience having gone through all of those difficulties.

What have I done? I have actually met with my MP and he sent a letter to the Minister of Health and the Minister of Immigration about this matter.

However one letter from one concerned dentist is NOT enough. You should do the same too. If you need ideas, go to my blog: www.dentistryincanada.org

DMD 2012

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

We're all in this together.

I'm not advocating to stop the equivalency process or the accreditation of Australian and NZ schools. I'm advocating for output regulation.

The oversupply of dentists in Canada is already becoming a problem for all dentists especially the young grads.

The oversupply of dentists will result in:

1. Difficulty finding good associateships.

2. Difficulty finding a good location to build your office.

3. Difficulty finding a practice to purchase at fair market value. You'll need to bid higher and pay above the fair value of the practice.

4. Building costs for dental clinics will be higher because landlords, contractors and supply companies will have more bargaining power over dentists.

5. Difficulty finding and retaining competent staff. You might have to pay them a lot more, which drives up overhead.

6. Difficulty finding new patients.

I speak from experience having gone through all of those difficulties.

What have I done? I have actually met with my MP and he sent a letter to the Minister of Health and the Minister of Immigration about this matter.

However one letter from one concerned dentist is NOT enough. You should do the same too. If you need ideas, go to my blog: www.dentistryincanada.org

DMD 2012

Have you had any response from your MP and the Minister of health as well as minister of immigration?

Archived