Premed 101 Forums

courses matching year

My situation's a bit unique.. I have been enrolled in undergraduate studies since September 2004. I graduated with a general sociology degree in 2008 and since then enrolled in some courses part-time while working full-time. I am now back at school full-time and trading in my degree for an honours degree (joint sociology and psychology).

I plan to begin my application to Schulich next September and graduate with this undergraduate degree in May 2012. None of my full-time years before 2008 reach the eligible cut-off but much has changed since I started university -- I have a 3.9 GPA on my part-time courses from last year (which won't count) and things have really turned around this term as I have received 90s on all of my midterms so far. I am unsure about how the admissions committee would assess me as this is essentially my first degree. I will not have multiple degrees but it is pretty much my sixth year of university.

I am taking 5 courses at second year level this term, 2 courses at second year level and 3 courses at third year level in the winter and of course next year, I will be enrolled in at least 8 third or fourth year level courses.

I emailed the committee a couple of weeks ago but no reply yet. Obviously it would be a conditional acceptance, if that, but I was just wondering if I would even be considered with courses that don't match my current year.

I was really hoping to apply next summer to Schulich. Would they consider me on my current year of study, knowing that I will be earning an honours degree with all senior level courses next year?

My situation's a bit unique.. I have been enrolled in undergraduate studies since September 2004. I graduated with a general sociology degree in 2008 and since then enrolled in some courses part-time while working full-time. I am now back at school full-time and trading in my degree for an honours degree (joint sociology and psychology).

I plan to begin my application to Schulich next September and graduate with this undergraduate degree in May 2012. None of my full-time years before 2008 reach the eligible cut-off but much has changed since I started university -- I have a 3.9 GPA on my part-time courses from last year (which won't count) and things have really turned around this term as I have received 90s on all of my midterms so far. I am unsure about how the admissions committee would assess me as this is essentially my first degree. I will not have multiple degrees but it is pretty much my sixth year of university.

I am taking 5 courses at second year level this term, 2 courses at second year level and 3 courses at third year level in the winter and of course next year, I will be enrolled in at least 8 third or fourth year level courses.

I emailed the committee a couple of weeks ago but no reply yet. Obviously it would be a conditional acceptance, if that, but I was just wondering if I would even be considered with courses that don't match my current year.

I was really hoping to apply next summer to Schulich. Would they consider me on my current year of study, knowing that I will be earning an honours degree with all senior level courses next year?

Why don't you just call the Admissions office?

I don't know the answer to your questions. But you have a unique situation.

Call now and leave a message; they'll get back to you soon.

- Lupe

Archived