Premed 101 Forums

What medical resource do you use? UpToDate, eMedicine, PIER, Epocrates, etc

• 1 year later...

For those of you who are CMA members, I'd encourage you to take advantage of the available online clinical resources:

http://www.cma.ca/clinicalresources/k4p

DynaMed and BMJ Best Practices are just two of the tools that the CMA makes available to members. These are leading point-of-care resources with impressive features and benefits that compare very favourably to UpToDate.

James@MD

• 2 years later...

Just bumping an old thread. Can we revisit DynaMed vs. UTD? For me, former is free and the latter is expensive as hell... although CFMS does provide a huge discount for medical students. I have used DynaMed quite a bit, and I like how it is organised + it is also heavily evidence based. UTD is more like reading a book, but it seems to be the go-to tool for most of our physicians in the hospital. 

Thoughts? 

(P.S. Is emedicine legit? I find it amazing if I need to look something up really fast (usually a dose clarification for specific indication), but I don't know how credible it is) 

Just bumping an old thread. Can we revisit DynaMed vs. UTD? For me, former is free and the latter is expensive as hell... although CFMS does provide a huge discount for medical students. I have used DynaMed quite a bit, and I like how it is organised + it is also heavily evidence based. UTD is more like reading a book, but it seems to be the go-to tool for most of our physicians in the hospital.

Thoughts?

(P.S. Is emedicine legit? I find it amazing if I need to look something up really fast, but I don't know how credible it is)

They are really pushing dynamed as more evidence based. That's fine, but it doesn't have topics for like 1/2 the topics I've tried to look up in my last three days (first on the wards). It doesn't have much peds info (or sometimes it does but it's interspersed in gigantic articles)

I also personally like the format of up to date better as the endless pointform in dynamed makes my head hurt. But I get that dynamed is more evidenced bases. I'm trying to like it.

Thoughts? 

(P.S. Is emedicine legit? I find it amazing if I need to look something up really fast (usually a dose clarification for specific indication), but I don't know how credible it is) 

Medscape is legit. It's more limited than UpToDate, but it's ok for basics.

I understand the hype over UpToDate, but I've personally never really used it and am doing just fine.

Is uptodate useful only in clerkship, or in 1st and 2nd years as well? For those attending schools with no library subscription, did you buy using the CMA $99/year or $169/2 years deal?

It's great for longer-term learning and some projects. I've found it helpful for clinical research too, gives perspective on clinical practice standards and so is a good starting off point.

It's not all that helpful for most of the standard curriculum stuff including exams. Knowledge is too high-level and applied to be efficient for exam studying in pre-clerkship, which is mostly focused on the underlying processes or basic clinical information.

I cared more about the longer-term learning and research than exams, so on the whole I probably would have paid for it if I had to, but it certainly isn't required or uniquely helpful in pre-clerkship. Fortunately Schulich has a subscription to UpToDate, so I didn't have to (and I can't speak to the last question).

It's great for longer-term learning and some projects. I've found it helpful for clinical research too, gives perspective on clinical practice standards and so is a good starting off point.

It's not all that helpful for most of the standard curriculum stuff including exams. Knowledge is too high-level and applied to be efficient for exam studying in pre-clerkship, which is mostly focused on the underlying processes or basic clinical information.

I cared more about the longer-term learning and research than exams, so on the whole I probably would have paid for it if I had to, but it certainly isn't required or uniquely helpful in pre-clerkship. Fortunately Schulich has a subscription to UpToDate, so I didn't have to (and I can't speak to the last question).

Thanks, ralk, for the comments! I appreciate your explanation.

It is really nice for Schulich to purchase institutional subscription for students. I recently spoke with a friend who just graduated from Shulich, and he was surprised that my school does not provide access.

Thanks, ralk, for the comments! I appreciate your explanation.

It is really nice for Schulich to purchase institutional subscription for students. I recently spoke with a friend who just graduated from Shulich, and he was surprised that my school does not provide access.

Glad I could help :D

UpToDate is expensive for the school, so I completely understand why many institutions don't provide access.

In 2015, I use medscape and Uptodate for quick information. I have used epocrates, emed and dynamed in the past but they haven't kept up.

In reality, UpToDate is probably most useful when you're doing clinical work, and you have a specific question that you need answers to. For covering curriculum materials, textbooks in general are better formatted and you can realistically cover the breadth needed.

Archived