Premed 101 Forums

Pre-med Frequently Asked Questions

tooty

O-week has started and I'm the only one in my floor who hasn't purchased the package yet :eek:

The scheduled events seem really goofy: chants, waterpark, partying, etc.

I feel like I'm missing out, but again I'm not really super sociable so I think if I participate it will just feel awkward for me.

Hello, so I am at the UofC and I was wondering if taking 4 courses in WinterSem as opposed to five will hinder me in anyway when it comes to applying for Med School? Also I wanted to double-check that most schools don't count Spring/Summer course marks when it comes to GPA? I want to take English then so that it doesn't affect it (if I am correct).

Hello, so I am at the UofC and I was wondering if taking 4 courses in WinterSem as opposed to five will hinder me in anyway when it comes to applying for Med School? Also I wanted to double-check that most schools don't count Spring/Summer course marks when it comes to GPA? I want to take English then so that it doesn't affect it (if I am correct).

How many courses will you have in total for the school year? Some schools require you to have 10 courses during the school year. If you're planning on having 4 courses in one semester and 6 in another, then you should be fine. If you are 5 courses in one semester and 4 in another, then you'll be jeopardizing course load requirements at some schools.

Quick question. When you guys read ahead of the lecture, do you just read or do you also write down some notes? Should I get a small 80 pages notebook just for writing down notes when I read ahead of lectures?

You should pick up this book called "How to Become a Straight A Student" by Cal Newport. Lots of great strategies and advice.

What about my earlier question :o

"When you guys read ahead of the lecture, do you just read or do you also write down some notes? Should I get a small 80 pages notebook just for writing down notes when I read ahead of lectures?"

Depends on you. Most classes now-a-days have powerpoint presentations, so you can print off the slides the profs post and jot down notes on the slides as they lecture. I think that may be the best approach.

Two questions:

1) For my math lecture the prof has an overhead where the PPT slides are shown (those are then posted online) and he uses the board to write examples. Should I just write the examples because I tried to write both the stuff on the PPT and examples and I was rushing during the entire time.

2) It's been suggested to revise your notes at the end of each week (rewrite the notes to make them neater and to add stuff said in lecture). Is it also a good idea to do this at the end of each day or does it just depend if you have time or not.

Two questions:

1) For my math lecture the prof has an overhead where the PPT slides are shown (those are then posted online) and he uses the board to write examples. Should I just write the examples because I tried to write both the stuff on the PPT and examples and I was rushing during the entire time.

2) It's been suggested to revise your notes at the end of each week (rewrite the notes to make them neater and to add stuff said in lecture). Is it also a good idea to do this at the end of each day or does it just depend if you have time or not.

1. I would just do the examples

2. I never bothered to rewrite my notes. I'm sure it help with memory but I could never pull my self to do something so tedious.

Don't you hate it when you studied your a** off and think you've done everything you could for the day (and you truly did, plus you finished most of the work assigned for the next 2 days) BUT you still have this urge to go back and review your notes as if you almost feel you missed something?

holy run-on sentence

Quick question.

How should psychology be approached? I understand lecture notes are the most valuable asset, but the textbook seems to be filled with information (concepts, names, dates,etc) that the prof did not discuss at all and/or did not go in depth as the textbook is doing. What should I do?

I mean there seems to be a whole lot of information in the psych textbook.

Quick question.

How should psychology be approached? I understand lecture notes are the most valuable asset, but the textbook seems to be filled with information (concepts, names, dates,etc) that the prof did not discuss at all and/or did not go in depth as the textbook is doing. What should I do?

I mean there seems to be a whole lot of information in the psych textbook.

you need background on the course, and the professor. what does he/she test? Some psych courses you need to know the textbook inside and out, others it is just a guide to help understand the concepts. On the ground intel from people that took the course prior really helps.

I really need some advice. It's only week 2 and I'm already starting to find issues with time management. It has nothing to do with not having a schedule, but with completing the tasks on time. I honestly don't see the point of using agendas anymore if I can't get stuff done around the time that I estimate.

The problem is with chem. I'm finding bio, math, psych, health issues to be very good so far.

But I am extremely worried about chem. It's the single course that I spend most of time on each day but I still find difficulty with when understanding textbook examples and trying to complete exercises.

Is chemistry supposed to be harder than other subjects? It's making me a bit depressed. I'm trying my best atm by going to prof's office hours and supplemental instruction sessions.

I really need some advice. It's only week 2 and I'm already starting to find issues with time management. It has nothing to do with not having a schedule, but with completing the tasks on time. I honestly don't see the point of using agendas anymore if I can't get stuff done around the time that I estimate.

The problem is with chem. I'm finding bio, math, psych, health issues to be very good so far.

But I am extremely worried about chem. It's the single course that I spend most of time on each day but I still find difficulty with when understanding textbook examples and trying to complete exercises.

Is chemistry supposed to be harder than other subjects? It's making me a bit depressed. I'm trying my best atm by going to prof's office hours and supplemental instruction sessions.

khanacademy is a very good resource

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it more likely to move to Quebec before applying to gain entrance into these schools, friends?

I am Bilingual and missed the deadline for OMSAS so therefore using my french background (and love for thier culture) to get into the Quebec school system.

I know they have limited spots for out of province, but are all schools as stringent as McGills requirements/spots?

(for example, only having 10 spots reserved for OOP at McGill med)

what is the name of the program where the government gets you a job or something for undergrads..? vague question but i recall my classmates did it while we were in undergrad together a few years ago...something with federal government...iirc someone on this site also mentioned it a few weeks ago.

FSWEP program

http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/sas-sde/stf-dot/prgrm/fswep-pfete/index-eng.htm

Is it more likely to move to Quebec before applying to gain entrance into these schools, friends?

I am Bilingual and missed the deadline for OMSAS so therefore using my french background (and love for thier culture) to get into the Quebec school system.

I know they have limited spots for out of province, but are all schools as stringent as McGills requirements/spots?

(for example, only having 10 spots reserved for OOP at McGill med)

You have to live here in Quebec for a year NOT going to school to be considered IP

You have to live here in Quebec for a year NOT going to school to be considered IP

THanks for that.. I had heard something similar... and you can't have a relative living there for it to constitute as you living there? Say a sibling?

Secondly, does each scohol post there out of province acceptance spots on their site?

Moreover - do they have past applicant statistics, as the Ontario schools have listed in pdf forms?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

This is my first post to the forum but I have been a long time follower. Every time I read posts in this forum I have to convince myself that the people here are the exception and not representative of the average applicant that I am up against. This may or may not be true, but it makes me feel better about my chances.

Education

-Graduated from top ontario engineering school with degree in mechanical engineering (with 6 4month co-op terms)

-Currently enrolled in an Athabasca double credit physiology course (to satisfy UofT course requirements)

Grades

-My overall (all courses) OMSAS GPA is 3.87

-My GPA with considerations for UofT and UWO is 3.95

-Marks show of strong trend of upward improvement over 4 years

-Carried 6 courses per term throughout most of engineering program

Academic Achievements

-Always ranked in top 10% of engineering class

-Last 4 terms (last 2 years) ranked in top 3 of class with 1 term as #1

-Deans honors

-Sandford Flemming award for academic/CO-OP achievement

-Several scholarships from engineering school

Extracurricular

-Class rep for 2 terms

-Nominated as class valedictorian but wasn't selected to be one of 2 valedictorians chosen from ~10 engineering classes

-Volunteer at local hospital for ~8 months (100+ hours)

-Executive (leadership position) on service learning trip to Caribbean building and repairing homes for the less fortunate

-Small research position working with MASC and PHD students during 1 school term - no publication but work dealt with 3D printing of bio-implants

-Intramural sports every school term

MCAT

13 PS, 9 VR, 11BS (total 33)

-unfortunately VR is low

Work Experience

Strong work experience (28+ months of full time work experience, this includes co-op terms)

-Currently work in technology industry in Silicon Valley

2013-2014 Application Cycle

Applied to:

UWO - I feel this is my best chance helped by the fact that I'm SWOMEN

UofT - so so chance given my academics

MAC - not so great given my LOW VR score and how poorly I felt I did on the CASPER

Queens - I think the VR cut off is 10, so unfortunately unlikely I will get an interview

Don't get me wrong, I love engineering but I found my passion for medicine late in my degree and have done what I could to explore this passion. My hope is that this will be enough to get me admitted this cycle. I'm also considering doing to a graduate degree in medical field, possibly biomechanics, as a stepping stone to ultimately become a physician. For reference my goal is to become either a cardiothoracic or orthopedic surgeon.

What are you thoughts about me as an applicant and my chances for interviews/admission this cycle? Any suggestions on what graduate program might be good next step if I'm unable to get in this round? Would love to hear from other engineers in medicine!

Thanks in advance!