Premed 101 Forums

Interview invites!!

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm hoping for a miracle on the NAQ side because based on what has been posted things are not looking good for me on the AQ... I've got a 82.8 oGPA and 86.65 last 60 credits (my pre-req scores make me sad).

Any guesses on how the new AQ is calculated?

You're probably around 15-16.

Hey guys... I got a regrets letter. This is very hard on me... I was really hoping that my gpa wouldn't be worthless but it was to admissions. I do not want to post my AQ. Honestly I do not know how to raise this score and feel like the last 4 years were a horrible waste of time... I'm very heart broken because I tried my best. But I will talk a bit about my NAQ. It was pretty decent :)

NAQ was 16. You can pm me or just ask if u want to know more about how I got this score. It was basically some research, volunteering, and artsy activities. I really wanted to be a part of next years medical class. Please, to everyone who is accepted and interviewed, do your best. Being a physician is one of the best professions. Never forget how much potential you have to do amazing work :) I will work hard to join you all some day.

Well, today was a horrible day! I thought that with 3.86/4.33 last 60 credits and 3.79/4.33 overall would have got me more than an 11! Anyway, I'm off to buy a lottery ticket, I probably have better chances of winning than getting into UBC lol! Best of luck everyone, hope it goes well for those of you with interviews.

Regrets,

Overall GPA (%): 85.10 Final 60 Credits (%): 89.05

Academic Qualities (/25): 19.47 *Non Academic Qualities (/25): 13.97

I had alot of stuff in my app... how do you get a good NAQ?!

My NAQ was 17. I was hoping it would be in the 20s :(

I would list some activities, but I think it's probably more how you describe them?

My pre-req avg is around 77%, so that will bring it down, we'll see - I'm still hopeful. Best of luck with your Dal interview! I'm interviewing on Sunday.

I'm pretty sure the AQ doesn't take into account pre-req average... At least it never has in the past and they didn't mention anything this year about it being in there... but with everything that changed who knows.

Regrets, no interview

OOP

AQ 15.99 (terrible pre-reqs! mediocre last 60 credits)

NAQ 19.90

That's right, about 2 points away from an interview! I don't know if that's relatively a lot or a little though.

Disappointed of course, but not THAT disappointed because I didn't expect an interview. Really pleased to see the scores are as I expected - below average (for interviews offered AND compared to OOP in general) for AQ, above average for NAQ - yay! I am accruing publications this year, and presented a poster at two conferences, applying to another...I wonder if my NAQ score would've been higher if I'd had these at the time of the application!

Good luck everyone, and all my sympathy to everyone who has been disappointed.

My pre-req avg is around 77%, so that will bring it down, we'll see - I'm still hopeful. Best of luck with your Dal interview! I'm interviewing on Sunday.

Yeah, our stats are nearly identical. My Overall is higher, but last 60 is lower. Prereq is slightly higher (but as posted, not considered in AQ, I believe).

Expect 15-16. Are you IP?

Thanks, good luck to you too.

My NAQ was 17. I was hoping it would be in the 20s :(

I would list some activities, but I think it's probably more how you describe them?

Hey- you beat me in the NAQ! I got 16.29, which is still way better than the 12.7 or so from last year!

All I did in the meantime was continue the same stuff, volunteer for the Olympics, and TOTALLY REWORD EVERYTHING.

Then again, i have no idea how the NAQ changes changed everything. :)

I can't imagine how it must be for you ppl with no word yet- not knowing if another round of regrets go out or not, but if I were you i would be rejoicing.

Regrets, no interview

OOP

AQ 15.99 (terrible pre-reqs! mediocre last 60 credits)

NAQ 19.90

That's right, about 2 points away from an interview! I don't know if that's relatively a lot or a little though.

Disappointed of course, but not THAT disappointed because I didn't expect an interview. Really pleased to see the scores are as I expected - below average (for interviews offered AND compared to OOP in general) for AQ, above average for NAQ - yay! I am accruing publications this year, and presented a poster at two conferences, applying to another...I wonder if my NAQ score would've been higher if I'd had these at the time of the application!

Good luck everyone, and all my sympathy to everyone who has been disappointed.

Wow, that's a ballin NAQ.

Ryacha, I hope you don't mind my asking, but what was your SFU GPA and what percentages did it convert to? I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm up against. I totally understand if you don't want to disclose it, though.

Sorry this wasn't your year. :( UBC seems crazy competitive... so many people I thought would get interviews didn't, which makes me wonder how crazy amazing the interview candidates are. Did you apply anywhere else?

SFU oGPA 3.54/4.33 ---> 81.7% but UBC gave me 78.4%

SFU last 60 credits = 3.95/4.33 --> 91.2% but UBC gave me 84.25%

It's too bad I got scaled back, I had NAQ 13.97 so I think without the scale back I would have landed an interview. But since you haven't heard anything it sounds like you might have. Best of luck!

Regrets,

Overall GPA (%): 85.10 Final 60 Credits (%): 89.05

Academic Qualities (/25): 19.47 *Non Academic Qualities (/25): 13.97

I had alot of stuff in my app... how do you get a good NAQ?!

I suspect part of it is about how well you fit their categories. I grouped things VERY differently to satisfy UBCs funny categories, and took experiences I've never thought to list on apps to use as leadership experiences, etc.

I received my regret letter this evening (OOP applicant). I had an AQ score of 22, and was rather shocked about having an NAQ of only 13! I have consistently volunteered and played varsity football throughout university. It seems to me that UBC puts a lot of emphasis on publications - of which I have none. Best of luck to all

- Confused and disappointed

I love this line in my email:

"The cut-off for determination of invitation to interview is considerably lower than in the last application cycle."

Nah, really? I mean, you drop everyones AQ by like 6-10 points, what do you expect?

I loved this line

"If you no longer wish to receive news releases or announcements from UBC Faculty of Medicine, click here to unsubscribe."

- Lupe :cool:

SFU oGPA 3.54/4.33 ---> 81.7% but UBC gave me 78.4%

SFU last 60 credits = 3.95/4.33 --> 91.2% but UBC gave me 84.25%

It's too bad I got scaled back, I had NAQ 13.97 so I think without the scale back I would have landed an interview. But since you haven't heard anything it sounds like you might have. Best of luck!

Hah, I can say with 100% certainty that I will not get an interview this round... didn't apply.

That conversions sounds quite unfair. If the difference between 3.5 and 3.9 is ~5%, then to get a 90% post conversion, you'd need upwards of a 4.3 GPA! (Assuming the scale is linear...)

I received my regret letter this evening (OOP applicant). I had an AQ score of 22, and was rather shocked about having an NAQ of only 13! I have consistently volunteered and played varsity football throughout university. It seems to me that UBC puts a lot of emphasis on publications - of which I have none. Best of luck to all

- Confused and disappointed

Nope. I have 4 publications and a NAQ of 8.

sorry to hear it huskie.

I have no publications, but got 19

I am really thinking its in the wording and the organization of your activities.

I think this is closer to the truth.

Hey- you beat me in the NAQ! I got 16.29, which is still way better than the 12.7 or so from last year!

All I did in the meantime was continue the same stuff, volunteer for the Olympics, and TOTALLY REWORD EVERYTHING.

I can't imagine how it must be for you ppl with no word yet- not knowing if another round of regrets go out or not, but if I were you i would be rejoicing.

Kyla do you mind me asking where else you applied?

- Lupe

Seems that its all about wording :S

My lists of activities are really really bad (I think I had a max of 6 or 7 activities) but I spent quite a bit of time explaining the significance of them.

I didn't have any hospital activities. Just some intramural sports, music

got a 15 :S

which is still not bad I guess..

Archived