Premed 101 Forums

2011 Interview Discussion

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure if this is big news but queen's updated their website on the 21st.

It now includes a detailed description of the MMI system, looks pretty standard.

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergraduate/prospective_students/method_of_selection

No mention of any changed in selection criteria.

Thanks for posting that. I like how they give a warning at the seven minute mark - I think that would be very helpful.

Surprised to find a grammatical error on a med school admissions website!! :-O

"At each station, the candidate interacts with, or is observed by a different evaluator for 8 minutes. This presents the candidate with the opportunity to create a first impression each time they being a new station"

:-O OMG

I'm not sure if this is big news but queen's updated their website on the 21st.

It now includes a detailed description of the MMI system, looks pretty standard.

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergraduate/prospective_students/method_of_selection

No mention of any changed in selection criteria.

I've heard that Queens in doing MMI combined with a 25 minute panel interview. Or at least discussing it. They just had a brainstorming session with the meds, so they can't be that far along in firming up the interview plans.

I've heard that Queens in doing MMI combined with a 25 minute panel interview. Or at least discussing it. They just had a brainstorming session with the meds, so they can't be that far along in firming up the interview plans.

How reliable are your sources (i.e., Queen's med, friend of med, friend of med's third cousin, twice removed)? It seems so strange that Queens would send out that update e-mail in November and then do a complete about-face and try to re-invent the admissions wheel long after they had promised to send out invites.

This is really getting kind of ridiculous. We're at the tail end of the range they themselves said to expect - by which point really, most of us should have heard, according to them - and yet no one has heard anything, not even an update. Can you imagine this happening in any other workplace without consequences and profuse apologies?

How reliable are your sources (i.e., Queen's med, friend of med, friend of med's third cousin, twice removed)? It seems so strange that Queens would send out that update e-mail in November and then do a complete about-face and try to re-invent the admissions wheel long after they had promised to send out invites.

My friend is in Queens med. There a general feeling at Queen's that there's a major paradigm shift happening in the admissions process. It's pretty exciting actually!

This is really getting kind of ridiculous. We're at the tail end of the range they themselves said to expect - by which point really, most of us should have heard, according to them - and yet no one has heard anything, not even an update. Can you imagine this happening in any other workplace without consequences and profuse apologies?

Absolutely! But bear in mind that they are the admissions committee...they hold the power. It's not like we can boycott them. They could tell us at the end of February about interviews in March and we'd all still rush to go. It's really sad that they're abusing their power.

You're right, though. At least an apology, just for the sake of formality, would be nice.

Absolutely! But bear in mind that they are the admissions committee...they hold the power. It's not like we can boycott them. They could tell us at the end of February about interviews in March and we'd all still rush to go. It's really sad that they're abusing their power.

You're right, though. At least an apology, just for the sake of formality, would be nice.

That's exactly what bugs me - they do it because they know they can. They say jump because they know we'll say "how high?"

Would queens be most peoples first choice in this thread?
*shrugs*

I think I need to learn more about the school to decide if it's my 1st choice. Especially since I've heard conflicting opinions about it from Queen's students. Some of the decision depends on the vibe during the interview day (if I'm fortunate enough to get an interview).

My friend is in Queens med. There a general feeling at Queen's that there's a major paradigm shift happening in the admissions process. It's pretty exciting actually!

Thanks for clarifying! Now I just wish Queens would do the same (clarify).

We'll all be out of our misery soon enough!

It's pretty unprofessional on their part that not even an e-mail update went out to applicants. We were told plainly to expect invites in December and unless you've called admissions there hasn't been a word since. Even an small update e-mail, explaining the setback and giving a new timeline would have been nice.

Also you would think that someone from the adcom or admissions process is keeping an eye on things here (I know if I ran a med school I sure as hell would). They could easily have dispelled any speculation about their process, changes or no.

I have no idea how I feel about Queens because I have so little info about them - their website really doesn't explain the curriculum or anything.

That's because Queen's isn't actually a med school..... It's a secret spy training facility ;)

Seriously though, I don't know what people who don't visit this site are thinking. I mean, invites were supposed to start being sent out mid- December... It's now end of January- I'd be panicking right now about not having an e-mail yet! I wonder if they've gotten a lot of panicky calls about this from worried applicants!

They are thinking. "I don't want to waste too much time on pm101 and I am sure they will let everyone know when they are ready" haha.

It is true, we are all very anxious and excited. I know I sure am. But we shouldn't be posting just to post. I hope everyone gets invited and accepted. I feel like everyone on here has a passion for medicine.

Ab

Archived