Premed 101 Forums

3/5 course requirment for second UG?

Hi all,

I was wondering if the requirement of completing 3 full course equivalents for the year you're in applies to those who are doing their second UG who received transfer credits to fast track their second degree?

I am currently doing my second UG which I started in September. I received transfer credits for half the program (honours science) and as such, I am classified on the transcript as a "3rd year" student but at the moment I'm taking 1xx and 2xx science courses since I didn't come from a science background. My upcoming winter term will also have 1xx, 2xx courses for the most part and only one 3xx level course.

Does this mean that the gpa from my second UG would not count towards the best two years at UWO? Meaning that hypothetically if I really wanted it to count I would have to catchup on the 3/5 course load requirement for this academic year by taking 6 3xx level courses next term?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Regardless of what your transcipt says you are a first year student at your new school program with respect to Western's rules. So having mostly 1st and 2nd year courses will not be a problem for you.

You must have at least one year though with senior credits (3/5 at 3rd year or higher) in order to get into Western. Since you are fast tracking that I guess you might be doing this as early as next year(?)

out of curiousity, how long will this new degree take you?

Hi all,

I was wondering if the requirement of completing 3 full course equivalents for the year you're in applies to those who are doing their second UG who received transfer credits to fast track their second degree?

I am currently doing my second UG which I started in September. I received transfer credits for half the program (honours science) and as such, I am classified on the transcript as a "3rd year" student but at the moment I'm taking 1xx and 2xx science courses since I didn't come from a science background. My upcoming winter term will also have 1xx, 2xx courses for the most part and only one 3xx level course.

Does this mean that the gpa from my second UG would not count towards the best two years at UWO? Meaning that hypothetically if I really wanted it to count I would have to catchup on the 3/5 course load requirement for this academic year by taking 6 3xx level courses next term?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Regardless of what your transcipt says you are a first year student at your new school program with respect to Western's rules. So having mostly 1st and 2nd year courses will not be a problem for you.

You must have at least one year though with senior credits (3/5 at 3rd year or higher) in order to get into Western. Since you are fast tracking that I guess you might be doing this as early as next year(?)

out of curiousity, how long will this new degree take you?

Hi rmorelan!! Do you remember the one day you came to present at UW (two months ago or so) and you were stalked by someone who was flooding you with questions until the moment you drove off with your car? :D

even if you don't remember, its good from my side to see someone I've met in person on these forums, makes me go like "hey, I know this person!" :).

So back to the question.

I am currently doing honours sci. Ideally it should take 4 terms plus a few courses in the summer.

At the moment though I am in a situation where I can either accept a job offer in the winter, discontinue my second UG (which puts me in a not so great position when applying next year since the gpa from my first UG was not the best) or to continue my UG and build up that gpa to be in a better standing for my applications next application cycle.

If only I could do both at the same time.....

Hi rmorelan!! Do you remember the one day you came to present at UW (two months ago or so) and you were stalked by someone who was flooding you with questions until the moment you drove off with your car? :D

even if you don't remember, its good from my side to see someone I've met in person on these forums, makes me go like "hey, I know this person!" :).

So back to the question.

I am currently doing honours sci. Ideally it should take 4 terms plus a few courses in the summer.

At the moment though I am in a situation where I can either accept a job offer in the winter, discontinue my second UG (which puts me in a not so great position when applying next year since the gpa from my first UG was not the best) or to continue my UG and build up that gpa to be in a better standing for my applications next application cycle.

If only I could do both at the same time.....

ahh, that is tough - the fall term won't really be useful for most places you would be targetting unless you follow it up with the winter.

and you planning to apply the next cycle (Sept 2011?)

How important is this job to you?

Never easy :)

Hi rmorelan,

My job offer lines up with my background from my undergrad. So it would be good to accept it as a backup (career wise as well as financially of course :) ).

At least the courses from the fall term would count towards filling in the science pre-reqs for some schools?

What about DE options, like following up the fall term with a winter term with DE courses? Would that still count for Western? If so, which DE schools would be acceptable?

Hi rmorelan,

My job offer lines up with my background from my undergrad. So it would be good to accept it as a backup (career wise as well as financially of course :) ).

At least the courses from the fall term would count towards filling in the science pre-reqs for some schools?

What about DE options, like following up the fall term with a winter term with DE courses? Would that still count for Western? If so, which DE schools would be acceptable?

western will not care about the DE courses or what school they are from. You are from waterloo which has quite the extensive DE course program. Be careful of course - GPA is very important and you wouldn't want to lose out average wise!

Archived