Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/rejected/waitlisted/deferred (Current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

• 4 weeks later...

OOP Canadian Applicant

Waitlisted

Timestamp: 9:29am CST

Undergrad GPA ~83%

MCAT: 510

ECs: Solid mix of long and short term, volunteer and work. Work in theatre and service industry + university assistant. Volunteering with arts organizations and science outreach.

Interview: Absolutely loved how MUN did everything! 

Anyone OOP with an offer who won't be accepting?

I know last year someone got off the OOP wait list this week (he told me it was 1 week after OMSAS releases which were last tuesday). But I think they have us ranked, so it'll depend if the people at the top have handed in their forms yet- if that makes sense. 

Anxiously waiting with you

On 5/19/2020 at 11:39 PM, theatrekid said:

I know last year someone got off the OOP wait list this week (he told me it was 1 week after OMSAS releases which were last tuesday). But I think they have us ranked, so it'll depend if the people at the top have handed in their forms yet- if that makes sense. 

Anxiously waiting with you

Yes I saw someone in the interview group said that they would be declining their OOP offer yet I haven't heard of anyone getting off the OOP waitlist yet. Of course, it could be just that they didn't post about it. I am hoping that it may be that they're waiting the full two weeks to move the list, which would mean someone could hear tomorrow! Who knows, fingers crossed for us!

4 hours ago, 1234xoxo said:

Yes I saw someone in the interview group said that they would be declining their OOP offer yet I haven't heard of anyone getting off the OOP waitlist yet. Of course, it could be just that they didn't post about it. I am hoping that it may be that they're waiting the full two weeks to move the list, which would mean someone could hear tomorrow! Who knows, fingers crossed for us!

I heard from one of my friends that she got in off the waitlist (Friday end of end NL time). As far as I can gather there are 2/6 spots confirmed full.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Accepted: IP applicant (March 12, ~10:30 AM)

GPA: 3.9/4.0

MCAT: 509

Casper: Not great I didn't think (too low to get an interview at Dal this year). I definitely underestimated it and did not prepare as well as I should have. Recommendation: give yourself a solid 3-4 weeks of prep for this. Find a strategy that works for you and get really really good/fast at applying your strategy to different scenarios.

Essays: Spent a whole summer writing, editing, and rewriting 5-6 drafts. Recommendation: take plenty of time to reflect as you write these. Think back to when you were really young and how all your life experience since then has shaped your desire to pursue medicine. Try to answer the questions in each section without drifting too far off-topic. Don't be afraid to show some emotion in your writing and explain what matters to you and why. Try to avoid using too many descriptive adjectives without backing them up with meaningful examples.

Interview: Prepared daily for ~3 weeks. Recorded myself answering questions and took notes on where I needed to improve. Had partner/friends review my recorded answers. Watched every prep video known to man (do not recommend this, it just makes you more stressed). Bought a cheap ring light from Amazon so I didn't look like a zombie on camera. Recommendation: You will find thousands of strategies online that claim to have the "holy grail" method for answering MMI questions. Pick a few to review but don't get too bogged down by them. I think the key here is to piece together a strategy that works for you and refine it as you practice. There is no one size fits all solution to approaching MMI questions, but over time you will get good at picking out the important bits and putting together a coherent answer. With each question, try to interject something about yourself.. an experience you had, a time you faced a similar situation, etc. If you're on the shy/introverted side (like me), then you have to try hard to let go of your inhibitions and really put yourself out there. Some small things: have a neutral background, don't use a chair that turns/has wheels (you will be spinning all over the place and not even realize it ), lock your cat in the basement...

ECs: let's just say I have a lengthy/diverse work history lol.. I think the biggest thing here is to have ECs that show that you have an altruistic commitment to your community, family, friends, etc. I could be off base by making this assumption, but I don't think you need thousands of hours of volunteer work to be a good applicant. Rather, focus on things that you enjoy and find ways to gain meaningful experience through those things. You want your application to form a cohesive narrative, so being able to talk in-depth about some of your stronger EC experiences in your essays/interview is probably not a bad thing.

Big congrats to those that got in this year! look forward to meeting you.

For those that didn't get the news they hoped for this year: Don't get discouraged! Take all that you've learned this cycle and put it to work for next year.

• 4 weeks later...

Rejected IP (NB)

MCAT: 513

GPA: 3.6

MSc focused in cancer research, extensive and varied ECs. Was rejected post-interview last year with a 502 MCAT (CARS was bad) and told to improve. Unfortunately, did not seem to do the trick. That being said I was accepted to DAL Med so I hope a seat goes to someone who wasn't! Best of luck my friends!

39 minutes ago, Beauregard said:

When should we expect the majority of waitlist movement for NB applicants?

It's impossible to know, but if I had to guess I'd think there would be a bit of movement in the next week or so as people decide between Dal and MUN, and then some more movement after May 11 when Ontario school decisions come out?

15 hours ago, Beauregard said:

When should we expect the majority of waitlist movement for NB applicants?

I was accepted off the waitlist my year like 2-3 days after I found out I was waitlisted. Typically the bulk of the movement happens once people make the MUN vs Dal choice (so in the next couple weeks or so). There can be another small bump in movement when other Canadian schools results come out too.