Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/rejected/waitlisted/deferred (Current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I got my call in mid June - I was initially waitlisted then accepted

I'm a nova scotia resident in with a degree in nursing. My GPA was 4.05/4.3 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (12)

Verbal: (10)

Biological Sciences: (10)

Written Sample: (m - the power went out during my writing sample. Could not rewrite without losing a year, so I stayed with the interuption. not sure if it affected my score.)

I was waitlisted then accepted by Memorial. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend MUN as my first choice.

• 7 months later...

Though it is a little early for me to be posting this, I figured I'd put a general template of student's attributes for the 2009 Year towards admissions/wait list/refusal for Memorial University.

So, if you could please copy and paste with your information, it would be really helpful towards guiding our curiosity and the future students to come to this forum. If you would like to contribute your gpa or mcat marks as well, it would be helpful.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm a (Province) resident in (undergraduate or graduate) studies. My GPA was (XYZ) on a scale of (XYZ) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (x)

Verbal: (y)

Biological Sciences: (z)

Written Sample: (z)

This was the n'th time I wrote the MCAT (previous mcat scores: )

Interview Feeling/experience: (i felt good, i felt rushed, interviewers were nice, i thought i had bad/good cop situation, i felt like i conveyed what I had to convey, interviewers seemed uninterested,etc... please abide by confidentiality form you sighed :) )

I was (accepted/rejected/waitlisted/deferred) by Memorial. This is my (first/second/third/more than third) time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to/interviewed at (maybe list them), I'd like to attend (XYZ Med School) as my first choice.

------------

Edit March 25th: I am happy to say that I was accepted today, this was my first time applying, I will post my full stats come May 15th

• 3 weeks later...

Applicant for Sept. 2009 Entry, Memorial University of Newfoundland:

- - - -

I'm a NB resident in undergraduate studies. My cGPA was 4.1 on a scale of 4.3and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 12

Verbal: 11

Biological Sciences: 12

Written Sample: T

This was the 1st time I wrote the MCAT.

Interview Feeling/experience: Went very well, I thought. Friendly, conversational- I think I answered their questions thoughtfully and intelligently. Clearly, not as well as I had imagined...

I was waitlisted by Memorial. This is my first time applying to this school.

- Premed Guy

Applicant for Sept. 2009 Entry, Memorial University of Newfoundland:

- - - -

I'm a NB resident in with a Bsc. My cGPA was 4.0 on a scale of 4.3 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 7

Verbal: 9

Biological Sciences: 10

Written Sample: S

This was the 2nd time I wrote the MCAT.

Interview Feeling/experience: I think it went a lot better than last year as I lucked out with two great interviewers.

I was waitlisted by Memorial. This is my second time applying to this school. I was waitlisted at DAL last year.

I'm a New Brunswick resident with a BScKin and I am currently enroled in a BSc Chemical Engineering Degree (Biomedical Option). My GPA was a 3.6 on the OMSAS scale, and my MCAT scores were

Physical Sciences: 10

Verbal: 10

Biological Sciences: 11

This was the 2nd time I wrote the MCAT, and my previous scores were:

Verbal: 8

Biological Sciences: 10

Interview Feeling/experience: I was really happy with how this went, and I expect it was a strength of my application. The interviewers were relaxed, and the questions allowed me to talk about some aspects of my life that I didn't think would come up in a med interview. By the end of it, we were joking around, and all in all it was a solid experience.

My ECs include 2 years of varsity athletics (swimming), representing NB at Canada Games for swimming, shadowing/volunteering in hospitals since 2004 (but really only 6 months in 2004 and 18 months from May 2007 - October 2008), Vice President of Engineers Without Borders, and various other little small things (Orientation leader, etc.).

I was rejected by Memorial. This is my first time applying to the school. I've got to say, this doesn't come as much of a surprise, as I've known that I would likely be getting the rejection as soon as I found out they need Christmas marks. I was enrolled in 26 Chem Eng Credit hours (8 courses) of pretty serious difficulty, and I only managed a 3.4 GPA on the 4.3 scale, so I knew this was going to be a real hit to my app. Also, I didn't put as much work into my essays as I did for my Dal ones. Like I said to my parents when I was talking with them on the phone, I feel about as bad right now as I do when I don't win the lotto. I didn't really expect to get anything, so Iwasn't surprised when that prediction came true.

Of all the schools I have been given interviews at (Dal/MUN), I've usually had Dal as my first choice, but that may have changed a bit when I saw MUN's facilities, which I was really impressed by. As of right now, I'd say MUN would have been my first choice, but that may change when I see what Dal has to offer.

EDIT: After my feedback session, it turns out that they recognized the difficulty of my course load, and the 3.43 GPA wasn't the reson I didn't get in. It turns out that although I was appeared likable, upbeat, confident, very well prepared and able to draw on personal experience, they would have liked to have heard more examples. Everything else was good, with the exception of my ABS, which was fair/good. Because of the lack of examples and not enough depth on some responses (I'm not sure how that happened, heh), my interview was fair.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an NB resident with a B.Sc in Biochem (honors by thesis). My GPA was 4.05/4.30 and my MCAT scores were:

Biological Sciences: 13

Written Sample: Q

Interview Feeling/experience: I'm really comfortable with the interview process, so it went quite well. It was very conversational, and I got a lot of good feedback from the interviewers mid-interview.

I was accepted by Memorial, and it's my 3rd time applying.

I've interviewed at seven schools, so I haven't really bothered to conclusively rank them yet, but MUN would be 3rd-ish as far as I can tell at this point.

I just got waitlisted at Memorial. I'm an Ontario resident, 3.91 GPA (although I don't really know how they weight things at MUN)

MCAT:

PS - 12

BS - 12

VR - 10

WS - S

I thought the interview went pretty well. There were definitely things I wish I had said and a few regrets, but overall it was a very comfortable experience. The interviewers were really friendly and it was very conversational. We did some joking and laughing which was nice.

God luck!

Survey says...

Waitlisted.

OOP, ontario, 4th year, gpa ~3.9, mcat 11B/12P/12V/R. Trilingual, prestigious awards and scholarships, tons of volunteering, solid ECs, 2 yrs. research.

Interview didn't go too bad, but not great either. Interviewers were nice, but the interview was extremely short to my taste, I had so much more I wanted to say and ask... but alas... :(

As Kevin Garnett once said: "Anything is possible!"

Hey guys, received registered mail today indicating that I've been waitlisted

OOP, Nova Scotia, cGPA 3.97, MCAT 10 10 10 P, leadership positions in several university clubs, 3 summers of research, received a summer funding from The Canadian Stroke Network and NSERC.

I wish we were notified of our position but I guess all we can do wait and wonder. Goodluck to the other applicants!

I'm an ontario resident in undergraduate studies. My GPA was between a 3.9-3.94 (depending on whether it is cumulative or 2 best years) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (10)

Verbal: (11)

Biological Sciences: (11)

Written Sample: (S)

I was accepted by Memorial. This is my first time applying to this school.

:D YEAH I'm exciteeedd :D

• 1 month later...

I'm a NL resident working at McMaster. Have a Masters from McMaster and undergrad from MUN both in Biology. My GPA was 3.33 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 11

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: P

I was accepted by Memorial. This is my 4th time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend (MUN Med School) as my first choice.

Tons of volunteering and extraciricular. was doing part time courses to up my GPA. Interview went amazing

Accepted for Sept 2009.

NL Resident.

Bachelor of Music.

GPA 3.38, Average 77.90 with steady improvement throughout transcript.

MCAT

Physical 13

Bio 11

Verbal 9

Writing R

Second time applying. The interview made the difference.

I'm a NL resident with a BSc Chemistry. My GPA was 3.95 (88% avg) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (11)

Verbal: (6)

Biological Sciences: (10)

Written Sample: (N)

I was a bit worried about my low MCAT but I had a lot of extracurriculars/work experiences and I thought my interview went extremely well.

I was accepted by Memorial. This is my first time applying to this school.

NB Resident

GPA: 3.85/4.00

MCAT: PS,VR,BS,W - 10,11,13,Q - 34Q

Autobiographical Sketch - Volunteering, some fun and interesting jobs, extracurricular activities, involvement in the arts, nothing out of the ordinary really.

Interviewed: Memorial, Dalhousie, Queen's, Western, U of Toronto, U of Alberta, U of Calgary

Waitlisted: Queens

Accepted: Memorial, Dalhousie, Western (London Campus), U of Toronto, U of Alberta, U of Calgary

I will be accepting Western.

• 9 months later...

Thanks for the info and congrats on making it!!!

I'm a resident of PEI and was accepted today. Memorial was my first choice.

undergrad GPA: 3.2

graduate GPA: 3.4

MCAT: 9, 12, 11, Q (32Q)

ECs: Lots - volunteered 400+ hours at a hospital, tutored, led a youth group, spent close to 10 months abroad volunteering in an orphanage and doing research on HIV, etc.

I had a great interview experience and felt as though I connected well with the interviewers. I really wanted to post to give some hope to those with less-than-stellar grades, like mine. It is possible!