Premed 101 Forums

Surgeon attire

its a bit unprofessional to dress in scrubs and sneakers on non-OR days.

I have seen both sides on that - often on clinic days they are still called into the OR for things (advise on other cases, emergencies...) so they want to be good to go as it were. Some patients see a doctor in scrubs and a white coat as sort of the uniform and are more comfortable that way. Sometime in my dress clothes I look like the odd man out on observerships.

I am not really sure what the best approach is :)

its a bit unprofessional to dress in scrubs and sneakers on non-OR days.

Not really. It depends entirely on the service. I'm on an acute/emergency service right now and we wear scrubs 100% of the time regardless of what we're doing. If I'm going to an off-service clinic, I'll wear the usual "professional" attire stuff though.

Do you wear a white coat over your dress clothes? That should help keep you look "doctorly" or "med studently" anyway. :)

I don't - I feel you have to earn the right to wear that coat first. Actually I have found some students mistaken for doctors and it is confusing for patients - but again that is one of those personal choice things.

I don't - I feel you have to earn the right to wear that coat first. Actually I have found some students mistaken for doctors and it is confusing for patients - but again that is one of those personal choice things.

FFS, you needn't do anything to earn the "right" to wear particular attire. It's just a pocket-blessed article of clothing, and if you introduce yourself as a student and the patients still don't understand, well, what can you do? Most of them don't seem to have a problem there.

For the record, though, I haven't worn a white coat regularly even a single day in clerkship so far.

Oh yeah, I meant a short white coat / med student coat. Some people think the short coat is dumb but I agree with you, you need to 'earn' the long white coat.

What exactly is a "clinic day" and what kind of work does it entail? Also, how many times a week do you guys have clinic days?

Clinic day is when the surgeon sees patients in...well, clinic. They see new consults (assessing whether or not the patient requires surgery) and follow-up patients (after surgery for 1. ensure no complications and 2. see if the procedure was effective in relieving symptoms).

Oh yeah, I meant a short white coat / med student coat. Some people think the short coat is dumb but I agree with you, you need to 'earn' the long white coat.

Why? Exactly how long should you have to work 70 hour work weeks for no pay before you earn such a "privilege" as a white coat that doesn't look stupid?

Regarding clinic days, it varies, but 1-3 days per week is probably about right, often with one of those days devoted to minor procedures/diagnostics.

Most surgeons dress up for their "office" which is sometimes different than clinic. If a student or resident ever dared show up to my office in anything other than professional attire then i would send them away and would be reflected on their evaluation. This goes for most surgeons I know. I would always dress up for clinic unless told otherwise. Apparently some places are more lax on this issues than others but you'll never be criticized for being too professional.

I always get a kick out of people who equate how you're dressed (i.e. vainglorious pandering of ego) with your "professionalism". Maybe, instead - and here's a pretty radical thought - we could invest our efforts into doing actual teaching for residents/students on the wards, and providing all around better care for our patients.

But No! It's not the fact that Mrs. J almost died last night because the sleep-deprived resident forgot how much albumin was too much, it's the fact that that useless nit, that snot-encrusted sonofa*****, forgot to wear a tie to rounds this morning. Now we're going to grill him hard!

Keep toe'in the line.

(Oh, and here is where the follow up arguments that run along this particular line go - Well, how would you like it if your doctor wore x,y or z? Where the unknowns usually denote colloquial manner of dress, or goodness no, perhaps a tattoo. Who cares! You want to lather your vanity and make sure that all the threads are in the right places and all shoes are shined? Join the Army.)

I always get a kick out of people who equate how you're dressed (i.e. vainglorious pandering of ego) with your "professionalism". Maybe, instead - and here's a pretty radical thought - we could invest our efforts into doing actual teaching for residents/students on the wards, and providing all around better care for our patients.

But No! It's not the fact that Mrs. J almost died last night because the sleep-deprived resident forgot how much albumin was too much, it's the fact that that useless nit, that snot-encrusted sonofa*****, forgot to wear a tie to rounds this morning. Now we're going to grill him hard!

Keep toe'in the line.

(Oh, and here is where the follow up arguments that run along this particular line go - Well, how would you like it if your doctor wore x,y or z? Where the unknowns usually denote colloquial manner of dress, or goodness no, perhaps a tattoo. Who cares! You want to lather your vanity and make sure that all the threads are in the right places and all shoes are shined? Join the Army.)

Eh-effing-men

Why? Exactly how long should you have to work 70 hour work weeks for no pay before you earn such a "privilege" as a white coat that doesn't look stupid?

Regarding clinic days, it varies, but 1-3 days per week is probably about right, often with one of those days devoted to minor procedures/diagnostics.

How long? I'd say as long as it takes for you to wear one without deceiving people into thinking you're more competent than you really are. Of course these days nurses, lab techs, janitors all wear long white coats so I guess you aren't really deceiving anyone any more than they are.

Archived