Premed 101 Forums

Interview Offers

Well, I noticed that there seems to be more "mature" applicants being granted interviews as well. Maybe more years of living = more years of experience/maturity = better answers for CASPer = interview?

I was wondering about that. So hard to tell when all you have to go on is forum posts. It will be interesting to see the average age of matriculants in comparison to the last application cycle.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was wondering about that. So hard to tell when all you have to go on is forum posts. It will be interesting to see the average age of matriculants in comparison to the last application cycle.

possibly but i know of many individuals who are in third year getting invitedd (at least four individuals) but they are not part of this forum. :s

Invited.

4th year, IP

3.97 GPA

12 VR

Casper was an epic fail. I'm fairly confident they saw my answers and figured that there must have been some computer glitch causing nonsense and blank spaces to appear where my answers should have been, and decided to grant the interview.

Did you actually leave a number of places blank? Maybe CASPer is a trick test: no answer is actually the right answer, because anyone that thinks they have the answers actually does not have the answers and anyone that does not have answers actually knows everything.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Lol - you could be on to something...

I think i only left one or two completely blank. Another few times I only had time to write half a sentence - which made no sense on its own.

The times that I wrote a whole answer, I would have liked to elaborate more.

Recipe for Casper fail: slower than average thinker + slow typer.

I really posted this info to show people in the future that you can nail an interview despite the above happening, if you have a good VR and GPA.

Lol - you could be on to something...

I think i only left one or two completely blank. Another few times I only had time to write half a sentence - which made no sense on its own.

The times that I wrote a whole answer, I would have liked to elaborate more.

Recipe for Casper fail: slower than average thinker + slow typer.

I really posted this info to show people in the future that you can nail an interview despite the above happening, if you have a good VR and GPA.

It does sort of give an idea about what the average scores out of one hundred might have been (somewhere around 60-70 maybe). Congrats btw.

Thank you!!!

Thought the below might prove useful:

Hit on the member ontariostudent name, then click on her threads and go to her MMI thread at the very top for insight.

I found this some time back, unsure if it applies specifically to Mac, but it appears to be good guidance. The interviewers mark you from a ‘structured checklist’ ranging from “excellent”, “good”, “satisfactory” to “unsatisfactory”. Below is also an additional List of Skills and Behaviours that are specifically marked in one of the below categories:

4=Excellent, 3=Good, 2=Satisfactory, 1=Unsatisfactory Top Score=20

- Has a sense of establishing the facts to ensure fairness

- Demonstrates an awareness of the dilemma from a range of perspectives

- Ability to balance conflicting interests to come to a judgment about what is right

- Appreciates the need for students to consider the consequences of personal

behaviours

- Is able to draw lessons from experience to inform future learning

Excellent shows a degree of originality and creativity, including showing a good appreciation of the general issues in the context of professionalism. There is good coverage of the topic with relevant and reasoned argument. The answers demonstrate a clear view of how the various aspects of the topic relate to one another. There is reasonable evidence of critical reflection on professionalism on both the interviewee and that of others. The answers appear authentic and honest.

Good is the same as Excellent without the originality and creativity.

Satisfactory the answers are relevant but do not address all aspects of the topic. There is demonstration of understanding of the issue being considered and just enough evidence that a reasonable argument has been advanced. There is evidence of critical reflection on professionalism but the answers are more descriptive than analytical. The answers indicate a modest understanding of the topic but appear authentic and honest.

Unsatisfactory the discussion is not always accurate and relevant and key points are missed. The attempt at reasoned argument is of doubtful quality. Strategy is misfired.

Strength of your arguments, your communication skills, how you defend your position n/w/s provocation and the interviewer’s overall assessment of your performance and suitability to study of medicine and being a doctor are all factors

Essential characteristics of Applicant:

Show ethical thinking and ethical decision making

Show professionalism, i.e. honesty, compassion, team working, ethical understanding knowledge of health care system

Dress conservatively, and note that your body language is important throughout interview

Bond with Interviewers if possible, in appropriate fashion

Effective communicator – ability to convey your ideas clearly and conciselyListen to any explanations and statements given throughout the process

Eye contact and shake hands upon entering each MMI

Good interpersonal skills with Interviewers

Always appear calm and in control

Show quiet confidence as a person

Think before opening your mouth

Understanding – know why you are there

Ability to understand the principal issue of the situation and other important issues

Complete the answer before the time runs out

(wear watch in case no clock in sight)

Give an accurate overall portrayal of who you are

Be clear and unambiguous in your answers

Time Management is of the essence – not all applicants finish all answers. The ability to complete the task in a timely manner demonstrates an important skill

Maturity

Show no nervousness or anxiety no matter what

Thank Interviewers when each session is over (perhaps shaking hand again)

Behaviours having the following attributes:

*Responsibility

*Integrity – having moral courage and honesty, being deserving of trust

*Sensitivity to the needs of others – kindness, empathy, understanding, benevolence,

recognizing the physical and emotional vulnerabilities of others in situations

*Understanding the difficulties of others

*Responding sensitively and appropriately to situations given

*Empathy

*Seeing the larger picture and the impact of the situation upon others of similar or other vulnerabilities and upon the great community, seeing how to create practical or innovative solutions

*Insight

*Information Manager – sift the information given so as to focus on solutions to all issues, including those not apparent on the surface

*Effective Decision maker – being able to identify the problem, break it down and to identify the steps in problem solving

*Self-directed Learner – Inquiring mind to further knowledge and skills

*Ability to make a shared plan – your solution may involve cooperation of many parties for its success

*Understanding of health professionals in society

*Explanation in Context – as a communicator, Interviewers must know clearly why you have come to the decisions you have made, leave nothing for granted

*Ability to make shared plan in best interests of patient

People who will, in their professional relationships:

Take responsibility for their actions

Act ethically

Act in a congenial and collaborative manner

Be reflexive

Be reliable

Be trustworthy and honest

Demonstrate respect for others

Have commitment to help others

Maintain confidences

Mental processes that include:

Ability to summarize your position as your first statements

Ability to assimilate and evaluate information in time sensitive fashion

Critical problem solving abilities in time sensitive manner

Prioritize and manage solutions in a sensible fashion

Ability to communicate decisions to others in appropriate manner

Ability to defend your position or ideas expressed – be prepared for interviewers to rigorously challenge you

Ability to apply your general knowledge

Seeking students who will:

Be self-directed learners

Be an integral part of an interprofessional healthcare team

Be willing to self-assess

Be willing to work hard

Communicate effectively

Demonstrate ethical thinking

Demonstrate ability to manage time

Demonstrate ability to tolerate stress

Demonstrate good judgment

Demonstrate insight and empathy

Recognize and respect the benefits of science and role of others healthcare disciplines

Archived