Premed 101 Forums

MEDICINE AT WESTERN - A Site for Prospective Students

New updates to the prospective site!

Now with more purple and brand new, shiny testimonials :)

http://www.uwomeds.com/prospective/

Site looks great!

Everybody come to Western! :)

Looking back, from my perspective, these past 4 years have been an amazing experience. I've pushed my limits and broadened horizons; I've made some wonderful friends; I've truly had a fantastic time here at Western. I look forward to meeting some of you!

We train some of the best medstudents in the country and create some hilariously fun memories along the way.

Come join us.

• 4 months later...
I'm trying to understand the timetable online but can't really... generally speaking how does our day look Monday to friday? 830-330 M-F?

For first year its basically every morning 8:30-11:30. You'll get the odd morning off or small group session in the morning but its rarer. Afternoons is where there is variability

Monday afternoons are ethics or population health or epidemiology (depending on time of year) for 2-3 hours (1:30-3:30 or 4:30).

Tuesdays are PCCIA 1:30-3:30. Small group less content-related (though still very content related) more about social aspects in general but its highly varied to be honest.

Wednesdays are generally off.

Thursdays are PCCM 1:30-4:30, clinical methods - learning to take histories, interview patients, do physical exams, etc.

Fridays are sometimes off, sometimes small group, but I think they're supposed to generally be off.

Probably just a Windsor thing that emerges from having less people.

Exactly :)

Plus I think people should understand WHY you have a predictable schedule with afternoons off - that by the way flip in years one and two (mornings are off in year2, afternoons in year 1).

That is a structure that allows you do schedule research or observerships - even long term repeated oberserships - with the same group or people. Not everyone does of course, or needs to depending on the specialty of choice, but it is a nice option to have. I used it to complete a lot of the research I did in radiology, attend lab meetings, do a series of observerships with a core group of doctors.

So while of course people will use it for free time etc, I think you should keep in mind the reason it was put there in the first place. ha -it is a lot of fun working with the people that build the curriculum and seeing why they did certain things. It is all there for a reason.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 years later...