Premed 101 Forums

Admissions for next year??

Hi all,

I know it's early to start discussing 2012's admissions but what do you think the chances are of the GPA cutoff being 3.7 a third time in a row? I have a 3.72 and it is somewhat a pain to have to take a fifth full-year of courses just to make that .03, assuming it goes up to 3.75.

Hi all,

I know it's early to start discussing 2012's admissions but what do you think the chances are of the GPA cutoff being 3.7 a third time in a row? I have a 3.72 and it is somewhat a pain to have to take a fifth full-year of courses just to make that .03, assuming it goes up to 3.75.

Not to be rude or abrupt, but there is literally no way to know. Having said that, don't limit yourself in any way by not making your GPA everything it could be. No pain, no gain.

You should apply regardless of what people speculate or don't speculate. A few extra dollars out of your pocket = less stress and worry in the long run.

I applied to 8 schools this cycle, even though I knew there were at least schools 4 schools that my GPA would be iffy for, depending on how they calculated it. Just apply, and let the schools worry about whether you're qualified or not! Especially since Western's app is just a few clicks on top of the ABS that you have to do anyway....

Hi all,

For some reason, the way you write this gives me the impression you've got a 3.72 cGPA. Maybe I'm wrong. But, in case I'm not, it's worth noting that Western looks at each year individually. You only need two years above the cutoff, so if your cGPA is 3.72, it's a good bet a year or two at least make the cutoff.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, everyone, for the encouraging advice!

This gives me hope in applying this summer..

And unfortunately, I was aware that Western only considered the top two years in admissions. My cGPA is nowhere near 3.72. :(

I heard the number of seats is increasing so the cut-off may decrease *fingers crossed*

Also, historically, the GPAs have ranged from 3.6-3.8 so there may be a chance for me yet. Here's hopin'!

Thank you, everyone, for the encouraging advice!

This gives me hope in applying this summer..

And unfortunately, I was aware that Western only considered the top two years in admissions. My cGPA is nowhere near 3.72. :(

I heard the number of seats is increasing so the cut-off may decrease *fingers crossed*

Also, historically, the GPAs have ranged from 3.6-3.8 so there may be a chance for me yet. Here's hopin'!

I believe that it takes into account one year if you have 3 years of full time study, or something like that. Someone else will have to correct me though.

• 3 weeks later...

You should definately apply this year, no question. Doing a 5th year is questionable, if I recall correctly these courses won't count towards your GPA cutoff as they will not be considering them when they look at your app. Think about it, they get your app in Oct and send out interview offers in Jan/Feb, when would they be looking at the marks for the year you are currently in? They don't have time to, so they only look at the marks from previous years. The conditional offer only means that if you get accepted via interview then you must maintain a certain average or else they will withdraw your acceptance.

Basically if you wanted to cash in on your 5th year marks you would have to wait another application cycle aka 2013. Your better off taking your chances now I don't think the GPA cutoff will increase.

Good Luck.

Archived