Premed 101 Forums

Waiting for May 5

Interviews are done! Thanks to all the students and staff at NOSM for a great experience including the tour of the campus and city. I was really impressed at the calibre of applicants there. Good luck to you all!

I guess we just have to wait and see what happens now.

Hoote

Interviews are done! Thanks to all the students and staff at NOSM for a great experience including the tour of the campus and city. I was really impressed at the calibre of applicants there. Good luck to you all!

I guess we just have to wait and see what happens now.

Hoote

This waiting is torture! I was also very impressed by the calibre of the applicants. I feel like 75% of the people in that room would have made great doctors (personality-wise)... must be so hard selecting less than 20% of them! I really enjoyed the campus tour here on the East campus. It made me so excited about the idea of becoming a student at NOSM!

Good luck Hoote :)

Speaking on behalf of all those arts majors (psychology myself), what type of academic prep do you guys recommend we undertake between now and the fall in the very fortunate event that any of us are accepted. I was thinking intro type bio, o chem, or bio chem. Do they review that in the first year or do they jump right into pharmacology, immunology, etc.

thanks!

I'd say RELAX! Lol, don't take on extra difficult courses thinking you're getting ahead. During the tour, the med students told us that the first two years at NOSM are mostly to get everyone on the same level. Since there are students from all kinds of backgrounds, they do reviews of a lot of physiology and pharmacology so that everyone ends up on the same level by the end of second year.

If you're accepted, treat yourself to a well-deserved vacation with the money you would've spent on taking summer courses.

Hoote, the best time of your medical career is between the day your accepted and orientation day. This is when you have no "work" and your gaurenteed an exciting career for the forseeable future (and a way to pay off your debts if you have some).

So my opinion is GO NUTS on May.5th if you get in. Don't ruin that magical summer.

I might bea little bias because I'm finishing up a bachelors in pathology, but art students do as well in med school if not better once they get into the groove of things with anatomy and physiology

Speaking on behalf of all those arts majors (psychology myself), what type of academic prep do you guys recommend we undertake between now and the fall in the very fortunate event that any of us are accepted. I was thinking intro type bio, o chem, or bio chem. Do they review that in the first year or do they jump right into pharmacology, immunology, etc.

thanks!

I agree that relaxing is the way to go. However, if you are like me you spend much of your relaxing time reading and undoubtably some of it will be medical/useful for medical school. I have spent many years working in a medical field and when I look back to what I wish I had learned before any of that training my recommendation would be a book on medical terminology (not a medical dictionary). I think that this would work well for medical school as well, especially one like NOSM where you will be diving right into researching information for problems and cases. You will be looking up new words that you come across like mad in a medical dictionary, but if understand medical terminology you will be understand many words you have never seen before by looking at its pref/root/suf etc. This would also not be intensive studying, so I think it is win/win.

oh yah, great advice!

the earlier u get a handle on terminology (prefix/suffix/root) the easier it will be to study. before i started massage school ( and first week was all terminology ) i got flashcards from a senior student and taught myself all summer. so that first week was a breeze and i was totally prepared to get going.

oh, and as my wise teacher said, learn the bones first, they are the foundation for anatomy. generally whatever attaches to them, or is nearby, is named after the bony landmark.

Lol people tell me I'm intense usually. I just think that premed students work so hard in the 4 years preceding med school and a rest is needed. You don't want to start med school all burned out.

I do agree with a med school terminology dictionary. That's actually a great idea! I thought you meant you wanted to take summer school, which is a condensed version of the course you would be taking during the academic year, therefore, a pretty stressful situation, especially when the course is a biological one.

Good luck everyone!!! :-)

So just any medical terminology text or is there a resource you recommend? Anything you recommend for anatomy (iPad/iPhone apps?)

Thanks

I have the Gray's Anatomy app for iPhone, I really like it. You can read reviews and look at screenshots online to determine whether it is for you. I love how I can easily access the information wherever I am (eg. on the bus, waiting in line at the grocery store, waiting for class to start). I find it easier learning anatomy in little chunks rather than all at once, and the app makes that so easy for me! Good luck :)

Archived