Premed 101 Forums

Formulas!

Guest Gedz1

Guest Gedz1

hey all

is there a website anywhere that states what formulas need memorizing for this thing?

Or has anyone compiled a nice list they wouldnt mind posting :P

thanks

Guest Salkh

no you definitely have to memorize some formulas, and there are actually quite a few of them eg. all of the linear acceleration formulas, electric field, magnetic force, etc. I took Kaplan and they suggest memorizing their formula sheet, which is double-sided. As for where to find these formulas, I'm not sure. If you have some classmates who are taking Kaplan, PR, etc., I would ask them.

Guest CTU24

Salkh is correct...007 is also right that some more complicated formulas are provided for you, but the basic physics and chemistry formulas that Salkh mentioned + others must be memorized

CTU24

Guest Koppertone

I'm sure there are better links out there, but here's a list of formulas you should at least be familiar with

www.google.ca/search?q=ca...frmlas.pdf

Which is a google pdf translation from the site www.geocities.com/mcatest/ and www.geocities.com/mcatest/notes.html

The ones that you should "memorize" are the basic physics/chem ie. lens equations. Typically (in my experience, correct me otherwise) I found that any questions that required a formula not listed were asked in either a proportional sense (ie. a car is going x speed, how much faster after y time? 1x? 2x? 3x?) or were given VERY basic numbers. If you're familiar with all of the formulas (and memorized the basic ones) and how the different variables are related you should have no problems.

Guest McCarey007

Also, if you memorize some of the key formulae, you will be able to do the questions faster. Furthermore, if you practice enough questions, you should know the formulae without having to sit in front of a sheet and memorizing it.

Bottom line. Practice more questions to know the basic formulae. They become second nature to you and it will only help during the MCAT.

Quite right. I now have a distant memory of a formula sheet...but as McCarey said, I didn't sit and memorize anything on it because I'd done enough practice questions for them to all be second nature. Sorry for the misleading advice earlier.

Guest kanayo101

YES! You have to memorize most of the formulas for the MCAT...they only formulas they tend to provide for you are really complicated ones like Bernoulli's Equation, some of the capacitor ones, etc that may require funky constants. I have my Kaplan formula sheet but I think they'd kill me if I posted it. Sorry...

You should also memorize Planck's constant, the gravitational constant G, k in Coulomb's law, ideal gas constant, etc. Those, along with trig ratios, are not usually not given. I also found it wierd that they often use units like the eV (electron volt) and some wierd concentration units (not mol/L) which I had never come across in my courses.

Overall...this sucks. I wrote it last year and I've forgotten most of this stuff and I am still finding it hard to start studying...

Good luck to me and everyone else!

Archived