Premed 101 Forums

help! wrong test center location!

Guest ikaj

My ticket just arrived but I was assigned to a test center location outside my city! I live in Edmonton and I clearly remember choosing test centers within Edmonton but I was assigned to a location in Calgary! How can I change this? Is there a toll-free number I can contact them at?

Hi ikaj

Unfortunately the same thing happened to me when I wrote last year. I had registered too late and the test centres in my area were full. I had to write an hour and a half away, which I know isn't as bad as Edmonton to Calgary, but it still kind of sucked. On top of that, my test centre was one of the ones that cancelled because of the black out, while the test centres in my city all wrote on the correct day. I was not impressed. Anyways, I digress. As far as I know, there is nothing you can do; I suggest booking a hotel for the night before, going out for a nice dinner and making the best of it. Good luck

Guest Salkh

yeah, unfortunately, you're going to have to write in Calgary. Just be happy you're not going to Lethbridge, because some people will be! good luck on the 14th.

I called the registration office and yeah the test centres in Edmonton are full. So I am thinking of writing on Sunday instead. I know it'll be an additional 30 US dollars to make the change so I am still debating if it's worth it.

Guest aneliz

You may have to pay more to switch days... but I guess you need to determine if it will cost you more/less than getting to Calgary.

Moral of the story: sign up early!!! (or you may not end up with the city that you want)

Guest Salkh

I forgot about the Sunday date. If you don't have relatives down in Calgary, then a trip down there is going to cost you more than $30 US (gas/bus plus hotel room). It's worth thinking about.

Guest swedeboy

Another thing to consider is how much less congested the test centres will be on a Sunday compared to Saturday. I wrote the MCAT on a Sunday and was surprised at how few other people were in the room with me. Everything went so smoothly with only 5 or 6 other people writing in the room compared to a full house. Plus it probably descreases the number of possible disturbances/annoyances you might run into. But that's just my point of view. Good luck with your decision.

swedeboy

Guest Elaine I

What centre did you write in on the Sunday? I am considering requesting a change to York U on Sunday, due to a very busy week at work the week before the exam...

Thanks for your help,

Elaine

Guest skiboot

My first choice was the test centre at the UofC, and that is what I got, but when I found out where exactly it was on campus, I wasn't impressed.

My point is that it is in a room where most of the desks are the ones that fold down and cater to right handed people. During all of the exams that I have ever written in these lecture theatres, I would always try to get there extra early so that I could get one of the few 'left handed' desks, but I'm not sure that I will have this luxury for the MCAT.

Does anyone know if the SAIT location is any better and if there is anything I can do to request a certain desk?

Skiboot

Guest aneliz

The MCAT people are pretty good about assigning desks... they will ask if you are right or left handed before assigning you a seat.

Being a left-handed person, I understand your annoyances with certain lecture halls!

Guest skiboot

Thanks aneliz,

I wasn't sure if that was the case or not. Who chooses the test centres anyway? I can think of a better place to write, left or right handed. I guess it just comes down to luck of the draw. At least I'm writing close to home....

Archived