Premed 101 Forums

Western offers

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Admissions Committee meets in late June each year to make entrance decisions. The decision is based on the combination of the 3 aspects of the admissions process: university academics, DAT (Academic Average) and interview scores. The calculation which creates the ranked offer list is weighted as follows: 60% academics, 15% DAT and 25% interview.

Graduated bonus points are added into the equation for active files at the end of the application cycle providing we have confirmation of honours or honours equivalent, master’s or PhD degree completion. The bonus points do not compensate for non-competitive grades.

Results of the meeting are made known by July 1. Only applicants whose files are complete will be notified of the decision of the Admissions Committee.

-http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/index.php?page=DDSAdmissions

Is this information wrong?

The Admissions Committee meets in late June each year to make entrance decisions. The decision is based on the combination of the 3 aspects of the admissions process: university academics, DAT (Academic Average) and interview scores. The calculation which creates the ranked offer list is weighted as follows: 60% academics, 15% DAT and 25% interview.

Graduated bonus points are added into the equation for active files at the end of the application cycle providing we have confirmation of honours or honours equivalent, master’s or PhD degree completion. The bonus points do not compensate for non-competitive grades.

Results of the meeting are made known by July 1. Only applicants whose files are complete will be notified of the decision of the Admissions Committee.

-http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/index.php?page=DDSAdmissions

Is this information wrong?

It's not wrong, but early acceptance comes out in late April usually and the rest in June. July 1st is probably the latest like how UofT tell you they'll notify you by April 29th.

For anybody who is wondering... they do not give out any info on the interviews :( I called to see if I could be told where I placed relative to the average (ie. above, average, or below) and Trish said they dont give out any info.

Also, she said they are working at inputting the scores into their computers/super-secret-covert-ops-of-a-formula and the first 15 should be sent out soon. Soon as in probably later this week/early next.

To confirm previous posts, if someone rejects from the first group of 15, that spot is added to the final acceptances in June. They will not give out another early acceptance.

Ok, how does this work. I read western will look at your marks from the current year for the people being accepted in June, they will use the current marks if they are one of your best years. But, what if they suck? Do they just ignore it, do they use it as a part of your "trend", or do they replace one of your earlier years?

I'm wondering...are the bonus points added before the early acceptances or after for those done degrees, or have a positive trend? Has anyone asked Trish about this in the past?

I don't think bonus points are added to the "Positive Trends".

It says they consider trend. I'm assuming that when they consider it, it would be more favorable for an applicant to increase their average from years 1 to 4, as opposed to an applicant with a similar average who has a negative trend. But this is my speculation. regardless, anyone know if these considerations are made before early acceptances for those completed a degree? Or after for the June acceptances?

It says they consider trend. I'm assuming that when they consider it, it would be more favorable for an applicant to increase their average from years 1 to 4, as opposed to an applicant with a similar average who has a negative trend. But this is my speculation. regardless, anyone know if these considerations are made before early acceptances for those completed a degree? Or after for the June acceptances?

WOW, Now that is alot of bonuses. Bonus for trend, bonus for master and PHD and honor degree and ...

Now my question is as follow:

When the school says that average for their admitted class is 89 does that include the bonuses that were given to certain students !!

For example, If I have a best 2 years of 86% but have an upward trend, PHD and honor degrees, then lets say I get added 2 percent bonus for all these !!! Do I contribute to the average of admitted class as a 88% or as an 86% !!!

I think all bonuses will come into place if you are competitive ( I remember reading something about it in their website) and then helps in the ranking.

For example, if the top 56 students have a GPA of 88% and I have an 86% , then I am automatically out without them considering the bonuses.

However, if I have an 88% and tie with someone else with 88%, then my bonus will rank me higher !!

When the school says that average for their admitted class is 89 does that include the bonuses that were given to certain students !!

i dont think they would add certain percent to ur average and give u bonus points that way.... they probably give u a final total score from interview, gpa, and DAT, then give u bonus points on top of that or minus if u dont have a full course load, dont have honours degree, etc.

Archived