Premed 101 Forums

Western offers

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

question marks just never seem to end!!! :confused: :confused: :confused: I had never thought about the questions stated above, but it would definitely be nice to get all the question marks cleared up..... anyhow to elaborate on the committee's assessment of the academic trends... I think it would be logical to speculate that a slight downward trend (low 90s --> high 80s --> mid 80s --> high 80s) wouldn't be factored in as much, as opposed to a more dramatic decrease in the performance of the applicant (low 90s --> low 80s with some 70s --> high 70s with couple Fs, WDNs, repeats and so on).

haha so what about a PhD given the same points as an honours degree student. that seems pretty unfair

actually I vaguely remember Trish telling me that the bonus points are also graded... meaning PhD holders will receive slightly more points over masters graduates and so on... but I'm not 100% certain... I will address this with her in person tomorrow and let you guys know...

actually I vaguely remember Trish telling me that the bonus points are also graded... meaning PhD holders will receive a slightly more points over masters graduates and so on... but I'm not 100% certain... I will address this with her in person tomorrow and let you guys know...

Thank you for letting us know. Can you also ask about my question please on how the bonuses are and if that average for admitted class has taken into account the bonuses and ...

i dont think they would add certain percent to ur average and give u bonus points that way.... they probably give u a final total score from interview, gpa, and DAT, then give u bonus points on top of that or minus if u dont have a full course load, dont have honours degree, etc.

That would even make the bonus marks MUCH more significant. Lets say there is a bonus of 2 marks for having a masters. If it is only added to your GPA, then it is diluted by 0.6 which means will only give you 1.2 mark advantage at the end.

While if it is added to the end, that 2 mark can make a HUGE difference.

for those with early acceptance, do they tell them if they get that Schulich scholarship too?

u have to apply for it, it's based on financial need. i think once everyone is accepted they choose who gets it.

anyone know how many they give out?

regarding early acceptances, trish says: not sure about this week, but most likely early next week

definitely some time this week... if not... next monday?? this year will be the last year when early acceptances will be handed out before rest of them go out in June...

How did you find out there wouldn't be any more early acceptances? Didn't they used to send out all the acceptances in April back around 2008.

How did you find out there wouldn't be any more early acceptances? Didn't they used to send out all the acceptances in April back around 2008.

I read (somewhere on the forum) that Western was going to stop looking at 4th year. That is why there is a wait. Maybe next year and beyond they'll be making offers at the same time as UT. Probably so people who want western dont have to pay ut deposit and wait.

I read (somewhere on the forum) that Western was going to stop looking at 4th year. That is why there is a wait. Maybe next year and beyond they'll be making offers at the same time as UT. Probably so people who want western dont have to pay ut deposit and wait.

They should do that this year.

the following changes to the admissions process will come into effect starting next year (for the class of 2016):

1. the earliest that you can apply to UWO dentistry will be when you are in your last year of a program (you must have a degree by the time of acceptances)

2. they will no longer be waiting for your current year marks to come in, which means that they will most likely be sending out all of the acceptances in April (no more early acceptances)

this is all I know for now.... with 100% certainty....

anything else that others want to add?

Email from Trish: "Offers of admissions to the top 15 in the class after interviews will be sent out shortly. Those seats not taken up by these offers go back into the general pool. The rest of the class will be chosen at the June meeting of the Admissions Committee, once current year grades have been received."

I think it's gonna be today!

Archived