Premed 101 Forums

Any suggestions for an MCAT study plan ...?

Guest mintchoco

Guest mintchoco

I will write the August 2004 MCAT.

I have two books to study from:

1. Kaplan MCAT Comprehensive Review

2. Columbia Review Intensive Preparation for the MCAT

Do you think I should consider getting any other books?

Was there a particular strategy that worked well any of you found? Did you focus a few days on BS, a few days on PS, then a few days on VR and rotate, or intense preparation in one section for a month, and move on?

I'm planning on getting my hands on 3R to 7R tests and going through them towards the last month.

Suggestions welcomed on study plans which worked for you! Thanks!

Guest Lactic Folly

I don't think you need to buy any other books, but you can check if your public library or university libraries have any extra books. It's up to you how you want to arrange the sequence of topics - I followed the MCAT syllabus just because it was simpler that way, but it could also be useful for your brain to shift gears between subjects every once in a while. If you have many sample exams, perhaps you can start going through them a little bit earlier (1.5 months) as it helps to take the time to go through each exam thoroughly and shore up any areas for improvement before you tackle the next exam.

Guest mdhopeful23

well the first time i wrote the mcat (ive done it twice now :x ) i studied on my own. this included reading the silver bullet mcat book and doing a lot of practise q's/tests. if this is the route you are going, i suggest getting some more practise exams. the 3R version is available for download off the aamc for free (well it was last year). you may also find some additional mcat tests in your career centre, library, friends, etc. they're kinda pricey so if you can, try to find a cheaper outlet.

the second time i wrote it, i took the Princeton Review. i cant say i did way better on the actual exam (i went up 4 points) but i felt way more prepared and in control. the course is pretty expensive, but in retrospect, i should of taken it the first summer i wrote...it teaches you how to 'think' for the mcat and gives you lots of opportunities for practise.

my advice, try a practise exam now and see how it feels. if you feel way out of your depth (as i did) or pretty confident, it will hopefully give you an indicator of which direction to go...

all in all, the more practise material you have, the better

hope this helps :)

Guest byjude

Investing in old AAMC exams might also be helpful to get an idea of the level of difficulty of actual questions. You can buy them directly from AAMC for a small fortune, but I bet you can also pick up old copies from people who've already written, a used bookstore on your campus, or from ebay.

I picked up one of the "old" exams (AAMC Practice Tests I-V or higher) for 2 bucks and I'm going to use it to start off and see how I could do before studying - get an idea of where I need to focus my energies, and get a realistic idea of what the verbal section will be like. Then, I found one of the "new" exams (AAMC Practice Tests 1R-6R, 7) which I will take a couple of weeks before the actual exam to get a realistic idea of how I might expect to perform and to focus any last minute studying.

I think the difference between the old ones with Roman numerals is they are from 3+ years ago, when the MCAT format was slightly different - there was more orgo and less genetics, and the verbal section could not differentiate in high scores, so that the top mark was an all-encompassing 13-15. These older exams are not completely representative of what to expect in August, and I wouldn't recommend shelling out a lot for them, but if you can find one for a negligible price, they're still pretty valuable. But investing in at least one of the newer exams could be very useful, and there should be a lot of used ones floating around out there so you don't have to shell out $40+USD for a sample exam.

Archived