Vote for one of the following options  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for one of the following options

• You were waitlisted at McMaster
    • You have accepted your offer of admission to McMaster
    • You have declined your offer of admission to McMaster
    • You have withdrawn yourself from the waitlist at McMaster
    • You have the sudden urge to participate

This might be helpful for those of us on the waitlist so please respond if this applies to you.

EDIT: And if you do end up getting in off the waitlist could you also post in this thread in addition to others I'm sure you will post in.

Wow I accidentally made it prematurely close in 5 days... yay me

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is some info I posted earlier.

-----------------

So I just found some awesome data on McMaster. Apparently, they exhausted their waitlists twice in the past decade (2000, 2006) meaning that they had to accept applicants they had rejected post-interview. The numbers below show the number of applicants they accepted/ the number of applicants that declined their offer (http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2008_admissions_book.pdf). You can find the older numbers if you look for an older admissions booklet. The exhausted waitlist information can be found here: http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2706&page=9&highlight=Interview.

2000 - 96/40 *** Exhausted Watilist

2001 - 111/22

2002 - 128/48

2003 - 138/39

2004 - 137/54

2005 - 138/55

2006 - 149/93*** Exhausted Waitlist

2007 - 146/75 -- Should be 164

2008 - 183/58 (546 Interviewed)

2009 - 181/79 (546 Interviewed - 47.62% got an offer)

I'm not sure about the bolded numbers because the McMaster website has different numbers. For the 2009 class the website says they accepted 194 people. And these might not necessarily be waitlist numbers as might they over-accept initially.

There are no 2010 numbers available. All it says is they interviewed 526 people for 204 spots. I'm just trying to gauge how many applicants comprise the waitlist. Looking at the numbers from 2006 it appears that the waitlist can vary from 75 people to a 100 people. But you need to take into account how much they over-accept by. If they over-accept by 10% or so then the waitlist must have at least 50 people on it (let's say 53 for argument's sake). This means that your chances of being accepted on May 5th and off the waitlist are (203+20+53/552) 50%. If you don't discount the 2008 data, then it is possible there could be a minimum of 35-40 people on the waitlist and that would decrease your chances to 47.28% (I used the number 38). Either way, roughly half of the interviewees will end up being accepted.

And since the interview accounts for 75% of an applicant's score, it's fair to assume that the vast majority of those whose interview performance was deemed to be in the top 50% will either be accepted or waitlisted. I say vast majority because your pre-interview score still plays a role.

So if roughly half the people who interviewed will get in and 203 people already have offers (at the very least), then about 72 people will get in off the waitlist. I'm not sure how long the waitlist is though.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I think it's important to keep in mind that Grade 13 was removed in 2003. So the double cohort graduated from university in 2007 and some got into Med that year. Those that didn't, reapplied the following year or did a Master's. My question is should that affect the data for 2007, 2008, and 2009. There is a trend visible in these years. As the number of seats for Medical School increased, there should have been incremental increases in those who reject their offers as well. In 2007, 2008, and 2009, those numbers went down or didn't rise enough in comparison to the number accepted that year. Why? Is it coincidental or does it have something to do with the double cohort? Maybe the applicants preferred a shorter program at that point in their lives. How do you expect that trend to change this year? Does anyone have any relevant numbers for the entering class of 2010 with regards to those who rejected their offer?

----------------------

Here is the Mac GPA from that website: The mean grade point average of successful applicants in 2004/2005 was 3.76. And 55 people rejected their offers. Just found out that in 2006 the GPA was 3.80 and in 2007 the GPA was 3.83 (http://tlifesci.com/forums/showthread.php?11-McMaster-Medical-School-General-Statistics).

Thanks Lupe!! All that info was very helpful.

Any idea as to what the conditional probability of acceptance is (once on the waitlist)?

Also, what percentage of interviewees are outright rejected?

The probability is going to be off as we don't know how many people are on the waitlist. If there are 100 people on the waitlist, which seems likely if they DON'T over-accept, then about 70 of them get in so there is a 70% chance of getting off the waitlist. (Refer to previous post as to why I chose 70)

Close to half (around 48%) are outright rejected.

Browsing through last year's wl thread, seemed like 6 people posted acceptances off of it. That's roughly half of the people who have stated that they're on the WL here, though I have a sneaking suspicion movement will be less this year because of the change in admissions, thus opening the door for candidates who were SOL(us) elsewhere.

edit - also, no movement occurred prior to the OMSAS acceptance deadline, so we might as well not bother being anxious for the next three weeks

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if McMaster over-accepts they will probably over-accept by 10%. That means that on average 40 people will get in off the waitlist which likely consists of 100 people (maximum; it's probably less).

So our odds of getting in off the waitlist are 40% if they over-accept.

Thanks!

I spoke with Wendy and she indicated that offers will be released when declines come in.

Does that mean McMaster is going to send out offers to the waitlist before OMSAS initial offer deadline?

Does that mean McMaster is going to send out offers to the waitlist before OMSAS initial offer deadline?

I was looking at a thread from 2 or 3 years ago and apparently also back then Mac said that they would send out new offers when declines come in. But that year, no offers off the waitlist were given until around the OMSAS deadline. I think im remembering correctly, though I am too tired to look for it now. Oh well, I hope I am wrong

I just want to say good luck to all waitlisters. I know what it's like to be on the wait-list. Two years in a row I was waitlisted. Unfortunately, both those years I was rejected. But finally, 3rd year applying I got in. Don't let being waitlisted discourage you. Hopefully you get in this year. But if you don't, keep trying. You guys are all incredible applicants and so close to getting in. Keep trying and it'll happen.

best of luck everyone

Somebody else has already noted that although McMaster says they will send offers to those on the waitlist before the OMSAS deadline, they don't. Typically, it will take at least 2 weeks for people on the waitlist to hear any kind of news.

EDIT: This MAY indicate that they initially over-accept...

Is it possible that they wait for a few people to refuse their offers before making offers to those on the waitlist? I think they may work that way because of the 3 campuses. That way they have a better chance of giving people their first choice campus rather than them arbitrarily being assigned to the campus of the person who refused. Pure conjecture, but it makes sense to me.

Is it possible that they wait for a few people to refuse their offers before making offers to those on the waitlist? I think they may work that way because of the 3 campuses. That way they have a better chance of giving people their first choice campus rather than them arbitrarily being assigned to the campus of the person who refused. Pure conjecture, but it makes sense to me.

Good point!

It's just that their e-mail said it's rolling admissions from here on out so that seems less feasible, although still possible.

It would be nice if any current Mac meds could shed some light on this.

EDIT: If any lurkers hear of anything important could you please sign up for an account and post your information, whether it be someone you know who got in off the waitlist or some information about McMaster that might be helpful in general!!!

It's best not to worry about these details because it'll drive you crazy. Move on with your life for now and check in on it every few weeks. Otherwise you'll have a long, brutal summer.

Thanks.

I agree with you. Just read on a Toronto thread to best treat a waitlist as a rejection and move on with your life. I will do just that after one more statistical analysis coming soon (probably later tonight).

I got this information from multiple threads and I cross-checked to make sure that I didn't double count.

Accepted = 7

Rejected = 3

Waitlist = /

Accepted off Waitlist = 9 (May 29, May 29, May 29, May 29, May 30, June 1, June 1, June 4, June 8)

Accepted = 13

Rejected = /

Waitlist = 6

Accepted off Waitlist = 7 (May 30, May 30, May 30, May 30, June 16, June 16)

"Accepted from wait list. Email says I was on top of the wait list!" The poster said this, indicating if you get in your e-mail will say this.

Accepted = 23

Rejected =

Waitlist = 1

Accepted off Waitlist = 19 (May 26; May 26; May 29; May 29; May 29; May 29; May 29; May 29; June 1; June 2; June 2; June 3; June 3; June 8; June 10; June 10; June 11; June 12; June 15)

Accepted = 29

Rejected = 2

Waitlist = 6

Accepted off waitlist = 13 (May 26; May 27; May 27 May 27; May 27; May 27; May 28; May 28; May 28; May 31; May 31; June 16; July 7)

Accepted = 35

Rejected = 7

Waitlist = 13 (The poll says 34)

Important Information

"I went to the July 24th session and ... This year, they expect to interview about 500 applicants and then the top 300 of those 500 will have their files reviewed completely. Out of the 300 or so, they will give offers of admission to the top 170 students or so.

7kkww"

May 26th, June 9th, and June 15th are popular dates for getting e-mails. The deadline this year is May 27.

Some schools over accept, some don't. I don't know if McMaster over-accepts. I'm not sure how much they over-accept by but 20% is a number that has been floating around in older threads. Since they over-accept by about 40, then about 20 to 35 people get in off the waitlist. There are certain anomalies when LOADS of people are accepted off the waitlist (see below) BUT that is likely not going to happen this year as the new formula they've used indicates that a majority of interviewees only interviewed at Mac and they will not reject their offer. In my opinion the waitlist consists of about 80 people. Since they exhausted it in 2005 where they accepted 63 people off the waitlist, the waitlist that year likely consisted of 60 people. The class size has since increased by 33.3% and the waitlist likely also increased by that number resulting in a waitlist of around 80 people. This isn't great news but at least we have some hard data. And from this data and looking at older threads, the McMaster waitlist is known to be NOTORIOUSLY long (not my words). So have faith everyone but be cautious. In my opinion, the odds of getting in off the waitlist vary from 25 to 50% on average depending on the year, but I feel that this year the odds are closer to 25%.

Based on the data above and below it seems that HALF the waitlisters who post on premed will be accepted (looking at the 2009 data exclusively).

-------------------------

EDIT: It's good to see this information in the proper context. Here is the information I posted on the first page of this thread:

So I just found some awesome data on McMaster. Apparently, they exhausted their waitlists twice in the past decade (1999, 2005) meaning that they had to accept applicants they had rejected post-interview. The numbers below show the number of applicants they accepted/ the number of applicants that declined their offer (http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2011AdBk.pdf). You can find the older numbers if you look for an older admissions booklet. The exhausted waitlist information can be found here: http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2706&page=9&highlight=Interview. Numbers in brackets indicate how many got in off the waitlist if they over-accept by 20% which is likely.

1999 - 96/40 *** Exhausted Watilist (20)

2000 - 111/22 (0)

2001 - 128/48 (22)

2002 - 138/39 (11)

2003 - 137/54 (26)

2004 - 138/55 (27)

2005 - 149/93*** Exhausted Waitlist (63)

2006 - 146/75 (45)

2007 - 164/72 (40)

2008 - 181/79 (Mac website says 183 got in) (43)

For the 2009 class the website says they accepted 194 people. And these might not necessarily be waitlist numbers as might they over-accept initially.

There are no 2010 numbers available. All it says is they interviewed 526 people for 204 spots. I'm just trying to gauge how many applicants comprise the waitlist. Looking at the numbers from 2006 it appears that the waitlist can vary from 75 people to a 100 people. But you need to take into account how much they over-accept by. If they over-accept by 10% or so then the waitlist must have at least 50 people on it (let's say 53 for argument's sake). This means that your chances of being accepted on May 5th and off the waitlist are (203+20+53/552) 50%.

Hmm...from the history it seems that nobody hears before May 26th...

I was hoping to find out a little bit more than a day before the OMSAS deadline for firm acceptances....don't want to leave anything to the last minute!

Has anybody ever heard from McMaster about getting in off their waitlist before May 26th?

Archived