4 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for one of the following options

• You were waitlisted at McMaster
    • You have accepted your offer of admission to McMaster
    • You have declined your offer of admission to McMaster
    • You have withdrawn yourself from the waitlist at McMaster
    • You have the sudden urge to participate

@Lupe

Where did you get the information that most of the applicants at mcmaster were only interviewing there?

I missed how you concluded that McMaster over-accepts. In the emails sent out they explicitly state that they do not over-accept. Are they deliberately lying to us?

40 people on waitlist?

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You also have to take into account that the premed101 population may not be representative of the general population of applicants.

I know about 4 people turning down Mac and only one accepting it, and there appears to be more than 10 people declining mac in various threads. I figure this is only a small proportion of the general pool at mac, which means we may see well over 25% waitlist movement. But maybe I'm just biased :o

Also, how did you find out that Mac over-accepts?

@Lupe

Where did you get the information that most of the applicants at mcmaster were only interviewing there?

I missed how you concluded that McMaster over-accepts. In the emails sent out they explicitly state that they do not over-accept. Are they deliberately lying to us?

40 people on waitlist?

I'm assuming for the most part there and I'm probably wrong. What I was trying to say was that in all likelihood, due to CASPer, there are PROBABLY many applicants who only have one interview at Mac as the average cGPA dropped quite a bit at least for the interview stats that I did (and a low cGPA means a lower likelihood for multiple interviews). I shouldn't have said most people ONLY interviewed at mac; that statement is not factual. I was just trying to say that more people have only one interview at mac than there have been in the past just solely due to the fact the average cGPA for interviews dropped to a number that hasn't been seen since 2005. And historically speaking, more people ONLY apply to Mac than any other school, even in the Verbal era (based on how many people apply to each school every year).

Could you clarify where they explicitly say they DON'T over-accept? I didn't see that. Based on previous threads that said Toronto over-accepts, and the fact that Deborah stated in her blog that they over-accept like "most other schools do." Wendy is likely busy and has yet to respond; I encourage you all to call her and ask her. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong and they don't over-accept as that would actually SUCK for most of us on the waitlist. Another big reason why I said they over-accept is because although Wendy says admissions off the waitlist is rolling no one hears until May 27th. Some people say it's because the OMSAS documents have to reach her. This may be true but plenty of people e-mail Wendy or call her and let her know personally which would mean the waitlist should move earlier than may 27th or 26th or whatever it is, but it doesn't. This is a BIG indicator of McMaster over-accepting. But please can you show me where they explicitly say they don't over-accept.

EDIT: I didn't see your 40 people on the waitlist? question. I extrapolated that there are probably 80 people on the waitlist and in 2009 43 people got off of it (if they over-accept). In a worst case scenario, which I think it is this year, 20 people will get in off the waitlist this year. In the best case scenario upwards of 60 people will get in off the waitlist, which is plausible as stranger things have happened (look at 2006 data).

You also have to take into account that the premed101 population may not be representative of the general population of applicants.

I know about 4 people turning down Mac and only one accepting it, and there appears to be more than 10 people declining mac in various threads. I figure this is only a small proportion of the general pool at mac, which means we may see well over 25% waitlist movement. But maybe I'm just biased :o

Also, how did you find out that Mac over-accepts?

I agree that the premed101 population may not be representative of the general population of applicants but I think it's more representative than it usually is. Getting accepted is a BIG deal and makes people who have never posted before post here for the first time. The same goes for those people who get in off the waitlist; it is a big moment for them and they will want to post about it even if they haven't posted here before.

Look at the above portion of the post for your last question.

I've been reading the discussion and thought that I'd throw in some tidbits of information as Wendy did reply to an email of mine regarding the waitlist. First off, mcmaster will do their to do best to send out offers as soon as possible when a decline has been received but there is no set schedule (I.e. It could be as quickly as immediate but not necessarily true in all cases). Wendy did confirm that historically the list moves the most after may 27. The numbers from afmc are likely accurate since they are from omsas; however using the 2008/9 numbers as reference she has seen more and far less applicants come off the waitlist. To top if off, and I guess to reconfirm what we all know, the waitlist is unpredictable.

I've been reading the discussion and thought that I'd throw in some tidbits of information as Wendy did reply to an email of mine regarding the waitlist. First off, mcmaster will do their to do best to send out offers as soon as possible when a decline has been received but there is no set schedule (I.e. It could be as quickly as immediate but not necessarily true in all cases). Wendy did confirm that historically the list moves the most after may 27. The numbers from afmc are likely accurate since they are from omsas; however using the 2008/9 numbers as reference she has seen more and far less applicants come off the waitlist. To top if off, and I guess to reconfirm what we all know, the waitlist is unpredictable.

I like your username!!!!!!!!!! But Miami will win the championship.

The real concern to me is whether or not they send more offers than they have seats.

Haha thanks. Appreciate all the info thus far and if you do find out more about the "over-accept" rumor I'd like to know as well.

Btw, Miami already won the championship last summer they're jus playing a NBA season+playoffs to make it official... It's another Pat Riley conspiracy I tell you.

There were a lot of doubts concerning Miami during the regular season all the way up until the playoffs, so I don't think they "already won the championship last summer". They have been absolutely killing it in the playoffs though... I usually would never root for Boston, but if it means Miami not winning the ship, I guess I've no choice but to cheer for Pierce, Rondo and KG *shudders*

I like your username!!!!!!!!!! But Miami will win the championship.

The real concern to me is whether or not they send more offers than they have seats.

Just emailed Wendy about this, I'll let you know what she says.

Wendy's opinion on the bolded part will definitely be interesting!

I was talking to my friend who got in off the waitlist last year, and she said that the waitlist moved every two weeks to let people in. So she got in 4 weeks after initial offers. I'm not sure if that's how it'll work this year as Wendy mentioned that they would always maintain a full class once people start declining their offers, but I thought I'd share the information with you guys.

I'm thinking 10-20%?

Over-accepting by 20 seats (10%) is a large amount, so I don't think it would be much more than that.

Well the calculations I did assumed it was 20% and that seemed feasible as well. Obviously we'd all rather it be 10% BUT Wendy saying moderate indicates a higher percentage than 10%, don't you think?

I think I'll call her tomorrow and ask.

Do people have any crafty suggestions as to how I should word the question so that she's more inclined to answer in a straight forward manner?

Well the calculations I did assumed it was 20% and that seemed feasible as well. Obviously we'd all rather it be 10% BUT Wendy saying moderate indicates a higher percentage than 10%, don't you think?

I think I'll call her tomorrow and ask.

Do people have any crafty suggestions as to how I should word the question so that she's more inclined to answer in a straight forward manner?

just ask her straight up whether they over-accept and by how much if she says yes.

just ask her straight up whether they over-accept and by how much if she says yes.

Inspiring-curmudgeon already asked about over-accepting and she said they do "moderately." I want to ask her for a number but I don't think she'll tell me which is why I'm looking for a crafty way to ask her so that she may divulge that privy information.

10% seems like a safe assumption, especially when taking the different campuses into account. I'm not entirely sure how you could safely accept more without fear of over filling the class, especially for the smaller campuses.

Talk about how you preferred the old Monopoly board, where you could pay a "moderate" percentage of your total assets on the income tax space, instead of being forced to drop two hundred bones, and see how she responds to that

10% seems like a safe assumption, especially when taking the different campuses into account. I'm not entirely sure how you could safely accept more without fear of over filling the class, especially for the smaller campuses.

Talk about how you preferred the old Monopoly board, where you could pay a "moderate" percentage of your total assets on the income tax space, instead of being forced to drop two hundred bones, and see how she responds to that

LOL

I'll try but could you eloquently phrase your idea into a statement that I could knowledgeably communicate? ;)

Archived