Premed 101 Forums

Thinking About a Second Undergraduate Degree?

For your 1st point, what UWO means is...after getting your first 4-year degree, if you choose to get a "2nd honours" degree, then you cannot simply take 1st year courses, but rather only take upper year courses that you have already taken prerequisites for.

For instance, in your 4 years, let's say you took a few intro economics courses. If so, in this "2nd degree", you should take upper year courses that have those intro courses as the prereq. Does this make sense?

With regard to your 2nd point, you do NOT have to finish your program to apply, but rather in order to start the MD program at Western. Therefore, what they mean is this...If you are applying in the last year of your degree, then as long as one of your completed years meets the cutoff, then they may give you a conditional offer with the condition that the year you are in will also meet the assigned cutoff.

I see. So if I take a second undergrad, but have the prereqs for some courses but not for others then I must take the upper year courses for those that i do have prereqs for and take the intro (first year) courses for those that I do not have prereqs for? What if I don't meet the 3/5 courses need to be upper years (in my first year because I don't have the prereqs for most of my courses)? What if I don't have the prereqs for any of the courses, what happens then? 

I see. So that means I can apply in my first year of a second undergraduate degree and they will make the decision based on that years grades? 

Finally, how do transfer credits work? Do the medical schools use the transfer credit grades in the GPA calculations that were obtained in a second undergrad degree?

• 1 month later...

Hey Everyone,

I'm currently in my first semester of my 2nd UG in Exercise Science. My first UG was biochemistry and my cGPA was 3.55. I'm shooting to get straight As only, nothing below an A.

My question is this: If I apply after having completed 1 year of  my 2nd UG, will those grades count? or do I have to finish my Second UG. I'm kind of stressed about this and about life in general since I feel behind the curve already since im doing a second UG. 

Any help is appreciated, Thank you

Hey Everyone,

I'm currently in my first semester of my 2nd UG in Exercise Science. My first UG was biochemistry and my cGPA was 3.55. I'm shooting to get straight As only, nothing below an A.

My question is this: If I apply after having completed 1 year of  my 2nd UG, will those grades count? or do I have to finish my Second UG. I'm kind of stressed about this and about life in general since I feel behind the curve already since im doing a second UG. 

Any help is appreciated, Thank you

It depends where you mean to apply:

- Queens and Dalhousie would probably take your 1st year GPA (provided it is full time) and your last year GPA of your first undergrad (again, provided it was full time). If you want to apply only w/ your new degree, you'll have to wait another year.

- Western will only look at you when you are completing your degree - but I think you would need 2 years of the degree done for them to look at your new degree. If you are doing it in 2 years only, you may also have problems fulfilling their 3/5 rule (see the policies thread for more on that).

- McMaster and U of T will look at everything, though U of T may drop some worst credits if you've *always* done full time studies (not even one part time semester).

- McGill needs 45 completed credits before application deadline, so you can't apply after only one year.

- Ottawa would likely use your first year of the new degree (x3), and your last two years of your first degree (x2 and x1).

Most other schools are cGPA based, so you don't need to complete your degree, but you'll likely have a harder time bringing your cGPA up. It depends on your residence status though, which you didn't mention.

If it helps, I'm in the same boat as you. But I'm currently wrapping up my third year of my second degree (GPA 3.96), which back when I started seemed like forever... I purposely took the degree over three years rather than two, so that I could apply to Ottawa w/ only my new degree, and it would have been hard to fit the degree properly into two years anyway. It can be frustrating to complete a second degree, but you gotta stay focused and remember why you are doing it. Focus on grades, make sure you've got your ECs down, MCAT, etc... In the long run, this extra time means very little. So you might have to retire 3 years later... If you really want med, and you feel you can pull off the GPA in your second degree, then this extra work will pay off down the road.

I would also encourage you to go talk to someone at whatever counseling office they have at your school. Stress can add up pretty fast.

It depends where you mean to apply:

- Queens and Dalhousie would probably take your 1st year GPA (provided it is full time) and your last year GPA of your first undergrad (again, provided it was full time). If you want to apply only w/ your new degree, you'll have to wait another year.

- Western will only look at you when you are completing your degree - but I think you would need 2 years of the degree done for them to look at your new degree. If you are doing it in 2 years only, you may also have problems fulfilling their 3/5 rule (see the policies thread for more on that).

- McMaster and U of T will look at everything, though U of T may drop some worst credits if you've *always* done full time studies (not even one part time semester).

- McGill needs 45 completed credits before application deadline, so you can't apply after only one year.

- Ottawa would likely use your first year of the new degree (x3), and your last two years of your first degree (x2 and x1).

Most other schools are cGPA based, so you don't need to complete your degree, but you'll likely have a harder time bringing your cGPA up. It depends on your residence status though, which you didn't mention.

If it helps, I'm in the same boat as you. But I'm currently wrapping up my third year of my second degree (GPA 3.96), which back when I started seemed like forever... I purposely took the degree over three years rather than two, so that I could apply to Ottawa w/ only my new degree, and it would have been hard to fit the degree properly into two years anyway. It can be frustrating to complete a second degree, but you gotta stay focused and remember why you are doing it. Focus on grades, make sure you've got your ECs down, MCAT, etc... In the long run, this extra time means very little. So you might have to retire 3 years later... If you really want med, and you feel you can pull off the GPA in your second degree, then this extra work will pay off down the road.

I would also encourage you to go talk to someone at whatever counseling office they have at your school. Stress can add up pretty fast.

Thank you very much I appreciate it. I am Quebec resident fluent in french and english, if that helps. I Scored 31 (PS12/VR9/BS10) on my MCAT September 2013, currently waiting on my score from my rewrite this september 6 (projecting 35+)

Exercise Science sounds like Concordia, lol. Being a straight A student is obtainable provided you work hard relentlessly with your grades being your first priority. Yes, it is exhausting but well worth it. I encourage you to continue working for this degree, as in addition to grades, it is an excellent preparation for medical school.

Thank you very much I appreciate it. I am Quebec resident fluent in french and english, if that helps. I Scored 31 (PS12/VR9/BS10) on my MCAT September 2013, currently waiting on my score from my rewrite this september 6 (projecting 35+)

Realistically, your best chances are McGill and the french schools b/c you are Quebec resident. With a 3.55 (out of 4.0) in Biochem, you might actually have a decent score for UdM and Laval, because they consider program difficulty. If you top that off with 1-2 years of your exercise science B.Sc. then you might be competitive. McGill could be interesting too, but they care much more about who you are, what you've done, etc.. so it depends on work/volunteer/whatever that you haven't talked about. My only advice aside from grades would be to also use this time to build up the non-academic side, if needed. You don't want to pour 2-3 years into a new degree, and then have your non-academics weigh you down.

Good luck!

P.S. Med school mindsets are messed up. Your Biochem GPA is a very good GPA, so don't beat yourself up too much about it. Med school admission is just crazy competitive.

Realistically, your best chances are McGill and the french schools b/c you are Quebec resident. With a 3.55 (out of 4.0) in Biochem, you might actually have a decent score for UdM and Laval, because they consider program difficulty. If you top that off with 1-2 years of your exercise science B.Sc. then you might be competitive. McGill could be interesting too, but they care much more about who you are, what you've done, etc.. so it depends on work/volunteer/whatever that you haven't talked about. My only advice aside from grades would be to also use this time to build up the non-academic side, if needed. You don't want to pour 2-3 years into a new degree, and then have your non-academics weigh you down.

Good luck!

P.S. Med school mindsets are messed up. Your Biochem GPA is a very good GPA, so don't beat yourself up too much about it. Med school admission is just crazy competitive.

Thanks a bunch, really appreciate it. I'm going to apply to the french schools as a hail marry this year, but i'm not putting any hope into it. I'm putting all my eggs in my 2nd degree to put me where i need to be academic wise. As for EC, I'm probably okay in that range, but I will look to improve it starting next semester, maybe by having a more steady volunteering position as well as possibly having a 3rd research opportunity. 

• 4 months later...

Just wondering if anyone is in a similar situation to me or has any advice:

This was my 2nd year applying and so far I have been rejected (pre-interview) from 8 of 12 schools that I applied to (UofT, Queens, McMaster, Ottawa plus 8 American schools). Still waiting to hear back from 3 more U.S. schools and UofT. However, from what I gather it is very unlikely to receive an interview invite to the U.S. this late so I am anticipating being rejected from those schools soon. Hopefully the news from UofT will be positive but who knows. Also, last year I applied to only Ontario schools and received all pre-interview rejections. I recently completed my MSc and thought this might improve my chances but the situation seems bleak this year.

Before getting into stats, the questions I'm contemplating are:

1) Do a 2nd UG? (But this seems silly after a MSc to me and considering my upward GPA trend)

2) Do another year of UG courses (non-degree status) and slightly bump up my cGPA and wGPA for Queens and Ottawa

3) Do a PhD and apply afterwards (which I'm not against because I love research but I would prefer medical school much much more)

4) Improve my ECs? (This one seems obvious - it couldn't hurt - but are my current ECs keeping me from being competitive?)

5) Rewrite the MCAT (again) and hope for stellar scores. I think my current score is good but certainly not exceptional.

My current GPA stats are:

cGPA = 3.5

wGPA Queens = 3.84

wGPA Ottawa = 3.83

Grad school GPA = 3.96 (although these courses are essentially meaningless)

I also did 5 years during my UG and had a large upward trend. My 1st two years were both ~3.1 and the latter 3 were all 3.8-3.9.

MCAT:

2014 - 11/10/12 - 33

2013 - 14/08/12 - 34

2012 - 11/06/10 - 26

ECs: Hospital volunteering for 1 year, physiotherapy clinic volunteering for 1.5 years, research lab volunteer 1.5 years, teaching assistant for 3 courses, 3 pubs (hopefully this will increase to 5 soon), 7 abstracts, oral presentations, poster presentations, a few graduate scholarships but all minor (not NSERC, OGS or CIHR), did a research project during my UG, marathon runner, peer mentor, served on multiple departmental committees during my Masters, employed throughout my UG, currently working as a research assistant

An important point to bring up about the U.S. schools is how truly time-sensitive the application process is. I didn't finish my applications until early October but many students are complete in July/August and are already receiving interview invites and/or acceptances by the time I finished. I am planning on getting my application in as early as possible this year but that would mean I'm still applying with the same GPA. Similarly, even if I decide to do more UG courses to boost my GPA, I will still be applying to Ontario schools with the same GPA I currently have. Thus, any improvement to my GPA that I can accomplish would only really do me any good if I have to apply again to matriculate in 2017.

Any words of wisdom are very much appreciated!

Just wondering if anyone is in a similar situation to me or has any advice:

This was my 2nd year applying and so far I have been rejected (pre-interview) from 8 of 12 schools that I applied to (UofT, Queens, McMaster, Ottawa plus 8 American schools). Still waiting to hear back from 3 more U.S. schools and UofT. However, from what I gather it is very unlikely to receive an interview invite to the U.S. this late so I am anticipating being rejected from those schools soon. Hopefully the news from UofT will be positive but who knows. Also, last year I applied to only Ontario schools and received all pre-interview rejections. I recently completed my MSc and thought this might improve my chances but the situation seems bleak this year.

Before getting into stats, the questions I'm contemplating are:

1) Do a 2nd UG? (But this seems silly after a MSc to me and considering my upward GPA trend)

2) Do another year of UG courses (non-degree status) and slightly bump up my cGPA and wGPA for Queens and Ottawa

3) Do a PhD and apply afterwards (which I'm not against because I love research but I would prefer medical school much much more)

4) Improve my ECs? (This one seems obvious - it couldn't hurt - but are my current ECs keeping me from being competitive?)

5) Rewrite the MCAT (again) and hope for stellar scores. I think my current score is good but certainly not exceptional.

My current GPA stats are:

cGPA = 3.5

wGPA Queens = 3.84

wGPA Ottawa = 3.83

Grad school GPA = 3.96 (although these courses are essentially meaningless)

I also did 5 years during my UG and had a large upward trend. My 1st two years were both ~3.1 and the latter 3 were all 3.8-3.9.

MCAT:

2014 - 11/10/12 - 33

2013 - 14/08/12 - 34

2012 - 11/06/10 - 26

ECs: Hospital volunteering for 1 year, physiotherapy clinic volunteering for 1.5 years, research lab volunteer 1.5 years, teaching assistant for 3 courses, 3 pubs (hopefully this will increase to 5 soon), 7 abstracts, oral presentations, poster presentations, a few graduate scholarships but all minor (not NSERC, OGS or CIHR), did a research project during my UG, marathon runner, peer mentor, served on multiple departmental committees during my Masters, employed throughout my UG, currently working as a research assistant

An important point to bring up about the U.S. schools is how truly time-sensitive the application process is. I didn't finish my applications until early October but many students are complete in July/August and are already receiving interview invites and/or acceptances by the time I finished. I am planning on getting my application in as early as possible this year but that would mean I'm still applying with the same GPA. Similarly, even if I decide to do more UG courses to boost my GPA, I will still be applying to Ontario schools with the same GPA I currently have. Thus, any improvement to my GPA that I can accomplish would only really do me any good if I have to apply again to matriculate in 2017.

Any words of wisdom are very much appreciated!

Hey,

To look at each Canadian individually: UT is extremely competitive all around, so it's difficult to get in for anyone without a fantastic GPA.You made the cut-off for Queens and your ECs seem pretty good. You probably got pretty close to an interview but maybe they thought your MCAT wasn't high enough. As for Ottawa, you are below their GPA cut-off unless you are from Ottawa. Key note: Ottawa doesn't accept non-degree years, so you must be enrolled in a degree program for a particular year to count for Ottawa's GPA. 

In terms of US schools, I think you had a shot, even though it didn't work. I personally don't think it's your ECs that med school didn't like, it's probably the combination of your average MCAT and below average GPA. The fact that you completed your application so late didn't help either. 

Overall, since you mentioned it is too late to complete more undergrad classes prior to your next application cycle, I think the best choice would be to rewrite the MCAT and study really really hard for it. If you do well (high verbal and don't go down on bio), you can very possibly get interviews from Queens, US schools, and maybe even Western and Mac. 

Hey,

To look at each Canadian individually: UT is extremely competitive all around, so it's difficult to get in for anyone without a fantastic GPA.You made the cut-off for Queens and your ECs seem pretty good. You probably got pretty close to an interview but maybe they thought your MCAT wasn't high enough. As for Ottawa, you are below their GPA cut-off unless you are from Ottawa. Key note: Ottawa doesn't accept non-degree years, so you must be enrolled in a degree program for a particular year to count for Ottawa's GPA. 

In terms of US schools, I think you had a shot, even though it didn't work. I personally don't think it's your ECs that med school didn't like, it's probably the combination of your average MCAT and below average GPA. The fact that you completed your application so late didn't help either. 

Overall, since you mentioned it is too late to complete more undergrad classes prior to your next application cycle, I think the best choice would be to rewrite the MCAT and study really really hard for it. If you do well (high verbal and don't go down on bio), you can very possibly get interviews from Queens, US schools, and maybe even Western and Mac. 

Thanks very much for your response. I have a lot to mull over.

I'm terrified of writing the MCAT for a 4th time though. It took me years to improve my verbal score. I finally managed to get a 10 last year (previously I had 8 and 6). I was extremely disappointed in my physical sciences score (11) when I had scored a 14 two years ago. I was really hoping I could at least get 13+ in physical, finally manage to get a 10+ in verbal and at least maintain my 12 in biological and end up with a 35+. Still, that didn't work out. And now there's this new MCAT to worry about. An interesting point - out of the 3 friends I have who are in med school, all 3 have lower MCATs than me but higher GPAs.

I feel like my best chance is just to apply early and broadly to American schools for the next cycle. If that doesn't work then I truly have no choice but to attempt to increase my GPA. I'm planning on taking a full year of courses starting this September - that way my GPA boosting is covered (hopefully) for applying 2 cycles from now.

It's just a tough pill to swallow to be faced with going back to doing years of UG courses after 5 years of UG already and another 2 years of doing a masters. I read in one of your previous posts that you decided to do a second undergrad and I applaud you for making that decision. I agree that it's completely worth it in the end. It's not the destination, it's the journey, as they say.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I just want to say that I'm living a similar situation. I've completed 3 years of undergrad and a masters degree in rehab sciences. Starting with a carefree and not-so-sure-with-what-i-wanted-to-do-in-life state of mind, I did not put much effort in school and my first 2 years of undergrad were not good (cum GPA 2.75), though later I have boosted my GPA with the 3rd undergraduate year and masters (GPA 3.98). The idea of going through a 2nd undergraduate degree all over again seems like a very exhaustive option in terms of time and cost, especially considering that I've already done graduate studies. But I know that most Canadian universities only consider your undergrad GPA... 

I also have 1year 1/2  of work experience in the health field (hospital and rehab centers) but am aware that there are more competitive ECs.

For now, I am preparing for the 2015 MCAT but my concern is that even if you can ace the MCAT, would that be enough to over-weight my undergrad GPA? Or should I seriously consider a 2nd undergrad because the GPA will have a bigger impact on the decision? I'm looking for all Canadian universities with preference to those in Ontario, Quebec or BC. 

I'd appreciate to have any bits of knowledge :)

Thanks in advance!

Hi thanks, I appreciate the advice and info! and yes I did cegep and university in quebec. I was actually hoping that the MCAT would help my admission at McGill. Other universities in Qc gives you an extra 0.5 or 1 pt if you've completed a masters or phd but they don't look at the MCAT score. 

It can be frustrating how your gpa stays with you even though it's from so long ago, and you know it is not representative of how you can perform. Can't help but feel like you're stuck  :huh:

Anyhow, I'll see how it goes with the MCAT and will start thinking about a 2nd undergrad...wow long way ahead!! 

• 2 months later...

Hi All

I am in this situation and I have been struggling for months to figure out which option works for me. I would be happy and grateful if you guys can help me with your information/advices:

I have a thesis base masters degree from Ryerson University (Mechanical), I passed 5 courses with (2 A+, 2 A, and 1 A-)
I have done my undergrad in a tough engineering school outside of Canada: GPA 3.16/4 (two best years 3.79 & 3.41)

I am 26 and I do not want to spend a lot of money and time and gain nothing at the end, so I assume that I have the following options: 

1) doing another undergrad degree but this time in health science, become familiar with health courses and also prepare myself for MCAT, definitely my chance would be higher, I am sure I can get a high GPA. And with my masters, probably I will be good for interview. The bad thing is that it takes 4 years and I will be 30 by then. 

2) Take 2 years non-program health science courses, obtain some good marks and get ready for MCAT, and then apply. The bad thing is that, considering my low under-grad GPA I won't have a chance for the schools that consider all 4 years for calculating GPA. 

3) unfortunately, because of my immigration problems I cannot do MD outside of Canada. I am about to become PR, so leaving the country means that I have to give up on my immigration hopes. 

I understand that by doing the second option I will not have a chance at all for a lot of MD schools inside of Canada. But If you had my situation, what would you do. 

Thank you so much,
Your comments and advices would make a huge effect on my decision. 

Hi All

I am in this situation and I have been struggling for months to figure out which option works for me. I would be happy and grateful if you guys can help me with your information/advices:

I have a thesis base masters degree from Ryerson University (Mechanical), I passed 5 courses with (2 A+, 2 A, and 1 A-)

I have done my undergrad in a tough engineering school outside of Canada: GPA 3.16/4 (two best years 3.79 & 3.41)

I am 26 and I do not want to spend a lot of money and time and gain nothing at the end, so I assume that I have the following options: 

1) doing another undergrad degree but this time in health science, become familiar with health courses and also prepare myself for MCAT, definitely my chance would be higher, I am sure I can get a high GPA. And with my masters, probably I will be good for interview. The bad thing is that it takes 4 years and I will be 30 by then. 

2) Take 2 years non-program health science courses, obtain some good marks and get ready for MCAT, and then apply. The bad thing is that, considering my low under-grad GPA I won't have a chance for the schools that consider all 4 years for calculating GPA. 

3) unfortunately, because of my immigration problems I cannot do MD outside of Canada. I am about to become PR, so leaving the country means that I have to give up on my immigration hopes. 

I understand that by doing the second option I will not have a chance at all for a lot of MD schools inside of Canada. But If you had my situation, what would you do. 

Thank you so much,

Your comments and advices would make a huge effect on my decision. 

I don't think that another undergrad should take four years... Isn't it typically two years to do a second undergrad? Although I'm not sure if that applies since you did your undergrad outside Canada. 

I have a question that I could not find the answer for : WHAT HAPPENS in a scenario where i finished one degree in one country (specific university) 2010, and one degree in another country (followed by high school requirements entrance (not university transfer)). Does this open doors to apply with only one of those two degrees? (First Univ. GPA: 2.7, second Univ. GPA: 3.9). Both degrees are majored in Bio.

Can I discretely use the second university as my attempt for a shot at med. school? 

Hi 

I am about to start my third degree to get into medical school. I live in Toronto, have masters degree and undergrad degree in engineering. 
Which program and which school do you suggest that I go for?
I have heard that Kinesiology program at York is a good choice. Has anyone heard about the science programs in Ryerson?

Thanks,

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did a second entry BScN program at U of O and absolutely loved it...lots of people say its hard to achieve high grades in nursing but if you work hard then you absolutely can - plus if you can't excel in nursing I would question your ability to excel in medicine. I worked hard and finished with a 3.96 gpa overall so it can be done. It's also great to have the career option afterward. But beware - many schools won't accept a nursing degree as they don't consider it full-time studies (bc of pass/fail clinicals). Be sure which schools you want to apply to before you make the decision to go into nursing. I am back doing yet another degree because of this very problem...but I have no regrets!

GOOD LUCK!!

Which medical schools did not accept a BScN program as a second degree?

• 5 weeks later...

Currently feeling stuck! Completed my application to 5 of the 6 med schools in Ontario, done CASPer and now I'm waiting. I didn't feel extremely confident in my chances but I figured I'd try anyway as I'd waited for so long to apply as a domestic student.

Here are my stats:

25 years old

New Permanent Resident

3.33 GPA on OMSAS Scale. I had a tough couple of undergrad years in the middle due to some personal issues (ended up failing a required course and had to retake it) but I pulled through with a 3.94 in my 4th year. This wasn't enough to pull my GPA to be competitive, even with a 3.81 in my first year.

My GPA meets the cut-off for all the schools I applied to except for Western where I thought I had a good chance (found out after the fact that my brilliant 4th year 3.94 would not factor into my GPA because I repeated a course that year). I feel like with my GPA, I'm certainly going to be rejected by all the schools.

Did coursework based Masters program (3.93 GPA) in order to qualify for Permanent Residence as I was an international student. Applying as one wouldn't work for me for obvious reasons, mostly financial (can you say $95,000/year?). Unfortunately this GPA doesn't count for much and I realized after the the fact that I would have been better off taking an additional undergrad year to further boost my GPA.

MCAT: 10/10/11 (VR/PS/BS) - Not bad..not sure if it's competitive enough in this year's pool

Diverse range of ECs from volunteer work with an HIV/AIDS resource centre to being appointed to the Board of 2 Charities.

I feel like I'm an ideal candidate holistically, apart from my undergrad GPA and it seems the only way to boost my GPA is another undergrad degree. That seems like quite an undertaking but I'm seriously considering it because there's nothing I want more than a career in Medicine. 

The problem is, I want to take my second degree in something that actually interests me (health-related) and has good career prospects (which is difficult to find with an undergrad degree these days) in case I'm still unsuccessful in the next round of med applications. 

I've looked at Physician's assistant programs and while I would make a great candidate, I would still need a super high GPA to be considered. It just seems like I'm not going to catch a break with that GPA.

So I'm wondering what people who are taking another undergrad in a health-related field are doing? What can you say to someone who feels like his clock is ticking but doesn't want to give up? Is there any hope?

Currently feeling stuck! Completed my application to 5 of the 6 med schools in Ontario, done CASPer and now I'm waiting. I didn't feel extremely confident in my chances but I figured I'd try anyway as I'd waited for so long to apply as a domestic student.

Here are my stats:

25 years old

New Permanent Resident

3.33 GPA on OMSAS Scale. I had a tough couple of undergrad years in the middle due to some personal issues (ended up failing a required course and had to retake it) but I pulled through with a 3.94 in my 4th year. This wasn't enough to pull my GPA to be competitive, even with a 3.81 in my first year.

My GPA meets the cut-off for all the schools I applied to except for Western where I thought I had a good chance (found out after the fact that my brilliant 4th year 3.94 would not factor into my GPA because I repeated a course that year). I feel like with my GPA, I'm certainly going to be rejected by all the schools.

Did coursework based Masters program (3.93 GPA) in order to qualify for Permanent Residence as I was an international student. Applying as one wouldn't work for me for obvious reasons, mostly financial (can you say $95,000/year?). Unfortunately this GPA doesn't count for much and I realized after the the fact that I would have been better off taking an additional undergrad year to further boost my GPA.

MCAT: 10/10/11 (VR/PS/BS) - Not bad..not sure if it's competitive enough in this year's pool

Diverse range of ECs from volunteer work with an HIV/AIDS resource centre to being appointed to the Board of 2 Charities.

I feel like I'm an ideal candidate holistically, apart from my undergrad GPA and it seems the only way to boost my GPA is another undergrad degree. That seems like quite an undertaking but I'm seriously considering it because there's nothing I want more than a career in Medicine.

The problem is, I want to take my second degree in something that actually interests me (health-related) and has good career prospects (which is difficult to find with an undergrad degree these days) in case I'm still unsuccessful in the next round of med applications.

I've looked at Physician's assistant programs and while I would make a great candidate, I would still need a super high GPA to be considered. It just seems like I'm not going to catch a break with that GPA.

So I'm wondering what people who are taking another undergrad in a health-related field are doing? What can you say to someone who feels like his clock is ticking but doesn't want to give up? Is there any hope?

Here are my stats:

25 years old

New Permanent Resident

My GPA meets the cut-off for all the schools I applied to except for Western where I thought I had a good chance (found out after the fact that my brilliant 4th year 3.94 would not factor into my GPA because I repeated a course that year). I feel like with my GPA, I'm certainly going to be rejected by all the schools.

Finishing up my second degree in nutrition right now. Great decision--I enjoy my classes, fair grading process, and prepares me to be a registered dietitian :)