Premed 101 Forums

Thinking About a Second Undergraduate Degree?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the last week, I've finished my second undergrad degree and have been accepted to medicine. I constantly see people posting both here and in the general forum about whether doing a second degree is

I read OP post like once a month to motivate myself to keep going haha.

Oldman, thanks very much for adding your information, it's really useful! I agree with you wholeheartedly.   Studentmed, I would highly recommend doing a complete honours second undergrad degree. Yo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have a similar situation with people in this forum and also want to do a second undergrad degree, but Idk which program would be the best choice. I'm thinking about some health-related program because if I never get into med, I would still have a backup plan. So I'm thinking of some programs like nutrition and dietetics, but still wondering if there are any other programs that you guys could recommend? Also, I remember someone mentioned earlier in this forum about dietetics so I'm wondering if anyone know which school I could apply for this program to get a high grade? I did some researches and it seems like not much university have this program in Ontario (Ryerson, Guelph, and Brescia I think). For anyone already enrolled in this program, is this too difficult? Would it be possible to get 3.9+? And which one is the easiest out of those three uni?

I was about to applying to the Dental Hygiene degree (UBC, UofA, Dalhousie..) but it's out of province because Ontario only offer diploma for it. Would this degree be considered as a second degree when applying? Someone said they has a Bachelor of Nursing but then has to take another second degree because the BNSc is not approved in calculation, so I'm a bit worried if choosing it.

Also, does anyone know if we can apply for a second degree at an institution different from where we graduated? We could do that right? Anyone know the process of applying? Could we get admission if our GPA from our first degree is too low?

Thank you for any advices!

3 hours ago, clinicalhope said:

Hi everyone,

I have a similar situation with people in this forum and also want to do a second undergrad degree, but Idk which program would be the best choice. I'm thinking about some health-related program because if I never get into med, I would still have a backup plan. So I'm thinking of some programs like nutrition and dietetics, but still wondering if there are any other programs that you guys could recommend? Also, I remember someone mentioned earlier in this forum about dietetics so I'm wondering if anyone know which school I could apply for this program to get a high grade? I did some researches and it seems like not much university have this program in Ontario (Ryerson, Guelph, and Brescia I think). For anyone already enrolled in this program, is this too difficult? Would it be possible to get 3.9+? And which one is the easiest out of those three uni?

Also, does anyone know if we can apply for a second degree at an institution different from where we graduated? We could do that right? Anyone know the process of applying? Could we get admission if our GPA from our first degree is too low?

Thank you for any advices!

I got into Biomed science and Kin with a 2.6 in my 1st degree. I m doing my 2nd UG at another institution. Do a UG that you enjoy and its not subjective in nature to get a 3.9. GL

• 2 months later...
On 8/17/2012 at 4:10 PM, Studentmed1001 said:

First degree

Mcat - 2009- 7,11,6O

FIrst degree - Psychology (McGill University)

1 year 2.1

2nd year 2.5

3rd year 2.6

4th year 3.5

Second degree - General Studies (Athabasca U)

1st year - 3.7

I would like to apply this cycle. Should I continue with the degree or should I enroll in a 1 year masters at Guelph university.

Is MiNDS one year? I think they are still open for applications.

I am also applying for AMCAS Howard and Meharry U

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

How do you like Athabasca? They are more online right? Thanks

Hi everyone! I'm doing my best to fix my UG GPA. I applied for Fall admissions, and even the Canadian university I applied to don't like my low GPA. They said it's too low for the program. I'm interested in Anthropology. Anybody here knows which Canadian school accepts low GPAs and not entirely online? 

It's so frustrating! How can we get a second chance if the undergrad schools don't even accept you with your low grade??

My stats: 

Bachelor's degree GPA 2.4 (I know GPA's very bad. I wish I wasn't that emotional with family problems back then).

Master's (with thesis) GPA 3.9 

Anyway, your input is much appreciated. Thank you!