Premed 101 Forums

MCAT w/o Science courses

Guest hopeful

Guest hopeful

I am wondering if anyone has (or knows of anyone that has) taken the MCATs without having taken bio/chem/phys/org? Is it possible to learn all that is needed by taken the MCAT courses alone - and with lots of studying and practice tests? :eek Are there things that you learn in those undergrad classes that you aren't taught in the MCAT prep courses?

Before you tell me I'm insane, or that those courses are prerequisites for most med schools anyway, I know that. I have just been asked this question by a friend of mine who was wondering if it was possible to write the MCATs without having taken those courses - I really wouldn't think it was possible but said I would ask.

Thanks

It would be extremely hard, though probably not impossible. The MCAT courses/books etc. in general are supposed to be for review. So the student usually has learned most of the material before, and is brushing up on his or her weaknesses, and also maybe a couple of unfamiliar topics here and there. The courses are never as detailed as what you learn in class. Although the detail from class is more than what one needs for the MCAT, having the background does help you refresh your memory a lot faster when you're reviewing. The MCAT course does move at a reasonably fast pace, so if you're learning it all for the first time it will be very difficult to keep up. It's not like someone can just pick up ALL of bio, physics, chemistry, organic chemistry from scratch in just a month or two, and seriously expect to do extremely well (of course there are exceptions, but really, I'm not sure it's a good idea)...

Guest BlueWooster

Hopeful,

I wrote the MCAT in August without taking all of the recommended science prerequisites. I had one half year of physics, inorganic chemistry, and biology. Using the Kaplan book and the practice MCAT materials, I spent the entire summer teaching myself about electromagnetics, radiation, organic chem, biochem, etc.

Things turned out well for me (a 34R) but I don't think I would ever "recommend" this approach to anyone.

The physics and inorganic chem are VERY possible to learn on your own - a good university textbook and enough practice questions will replace the typical university prof (at least the ineffectual physics profs I've encountered!) However, as hard as I worked, I never fully understood many organic chem/biochem concepts. Reading simply isn't a substitute for course work in these subjects. Now, as I take these classes (after writing the test), many concepts are becoming MUCH more clear. I'm proud of my achievement but it is a hollow victory as my lack of formal science training will not show up on any applications and I only realize that, had I waited until after taking the classes, I would have achieved my full potential on the MCAT.

Also, last summer TOTALLY SUCKED! Studying for the MCAT is a terrible occupation as it is, but when you are actually learning the material (vs. reviewing), you are guaranteed a full time job with the textbooks.

Unless someone was in a "time situation", I'd recommend to take all science courses before writing!

Blue

BlueWooster,

Wow. That's a great score for only having those courses. I was just wondering why you decided to write the MCAT before you had all the recommended courses finished.

Guest BlueWooster

BCGirl,

It doesn't make much sense, does it? I found myself in a time crunch. I've done a couple of degrees (both in music) and have taught for a couple years....by the time I finally convinced myself that medicine was something I had to try (and wasn't just some passing notion I had cooked up in my mind), I was already approaching 27 without one science or math class to my credit. I was able to take a half year of physics, bio, and chem classes before the summer hit but realized that by the time I finished the premed prerequisites (this coming April) and then wrote the MCAT, I wouldn't be able to actually apply for medicine until the following year (2003/4)! Now, even though I still have a couple more science classes to take next term, I can at least apply for next year.

The obvious argument I usually hear is, "if you're really serious about medicine, an extra year isn't a big deal - you can use the time to prepare in other ways" and I'd have to agree with that. But being slightly older than the typical premed student, I feel some pressure to get out of this "premed limbo". I'm not nervous about the time spent in medical school but I find that being a nameless "Arts & Science" student is humbling and frustrating. Part of me worries that if I have to spend too much time among my 19 year old colleagues, I'll lose heart!

I'd be interested to hear from others who have decided to attempt medicine at a later point in their life (especially if it was a radical change like mine!)

Blue

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ceridwen

Hi BlueWooster, I am 27 and in my second year of undergrad. I am happy to read your post because I'm going to write the MCAT this summer with only biology and chemistry so far. I'm planning on teaching myself physics and organic chemistry starting in January. We'll have to wait and see how that turns out...hopefully something like your experience. I decided I wanted to go into medicine about 5 years ago but decided to wait a few years before starting undergrad. I spent that time living in different parts of the country and traveling etc. I wanted to be sure of my decision and grow up a little. It was a great idea. Now I am dedicated and enthusiastic about school and my marks are reflecting that. I can't wait (crossing my fingers) until I get into medicine. The idea of being surrounded by people who are focused and happy to be where they are is very appealing.

Guest BlueWooster

Best of luck Ceridwen! My only advice would be to focus on the Biochem/Organic Chem portions while you are taking classes. If you are "handy" with mathematics, you'll probably find you can learn the Physics/Chem portions on your own but I personally found it very difficult to "teach myself" biochem/organic chem (of course, this could be a weakness of my own mind!).

Blue

that would be hell.

thats just my opinion....i took org. chem and did crappy, i also took the kaplan course.....it took some time but i finally began to understand SOME org. chem, but alot of it is still a blur. Luckily im pretty strong in gen. bio/biochem/physiology, so i did pretty well (i think) on that part of the biosci section. Not to discourage you, but i can almost guarantee i would be writing the mcat again next summer if hadnt taken org. chem.....but thats just me, you may have nack for org. chem....you'll never know until u do it.....maybe you should write the april exam.....if u have time, that way if you dont get the marks you want, you can take org. chem during hte summer......shitty summer...but it will be worth it

Guest Ceridwen

Thanks for your responses. I'm going to go for it anyway but i'll prepare myself for the worst. Who knows and if it all goes wrong, I'll write it again next summer. That will fun...actually, I figure after 9 years in retail, any summer that doesn't involve working full time in the mall is a good summer. So, wish me luck. I'll probably take a Kaplan or Princeton course and hire a org.chem tutor to hedge my bet a little. See you. Ceridwen.

Guest ThugJaan

Hey,

I took the MCAT without having taken first year physics. Heck, I didn't even take OAC Physics!

I just got an OAC book for physics and taught myself what I needed to know.

Physcial Sciences turned out to be my best mark on the MCAT. Taking physics in highschool/university would have been a waste of time for me MCAT wise since it wouldn't have helped out.

It all depends on the person; if you have the will to teach yourself, then you can learn on your own.

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

I am also 27, i always wanted to go into med, but i have been putting teh idea on on teh side till i am sure that i really want to do it. I have a BSC in Bio and another one in Kinesiology, & Applied Info Technology from ITI.

All of a sudden i said that is it i have to go into Med, sometimes when i think about the age factor i get discouraged, but then i say who cares this is what i want to do, and this is where i find myself.

I have a strong background in in most MCAT subjects except Orgo. i am considering the Kaplan or the Princeton review course for thi ssummer May - August 2002. simply i know that i can study on my own, but i feel that i need an experts feedback on my writings and VR sections, that is why i need to take the courses.

can anyone suggest which course to take, and what writing section mark dalhousie expects????

Thanks

H2K

Archived