Premed 101 Forums

Official 2011/2012 Applicant Thread

Cerena

I thought this might be a cool idea to have a thread for applicants applying this cycle to get together and talk about applications here. I'll be a part of it, and I'm not sure who else will be. But if you are, make sure to join.

Let's do our best, everyone!

UBC opens it's OAS for us on June 1st and will be open until August 15th.

Not sure about the others schools. Post if you know when they will be opening, please :)

U of A opens it's application sometime in July, I believe?

University of Calgary apps open July 15, 2011.

Here are my details (you can share yours too):

Applied once to UBC. Rejected pre-interview. IP.

This year: applying to other schools as well. May be a gamble, but at the very least I will have tried my best.

Just found an awesome resource!!

http://www.oxfordseminars.ca/MCAT/mcat_profiles.php

It (more or less) contains the following data on all Canadian med schools (and super easy to read as well!):

Application Deadline

First-Year Class Size

Tuition

Admissions

Average GPA

Average MCAT

Prereq courses

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting that website Cerena. It's very convenient to have the available information all in one place.

I'm from Ontario, and will be applying to all IP schools except NOSM (from GTA), and some OoP schools which I meet the pre-reqs (no 1.0 english) for.

This is my first time applying, so I'm slightly anxious about the whole process.

I don't have any cool websites to suggest :confused:

This is a great idea, Cerena!

I will be applying to UWO, Queen's, Mac, and Toronto in ON and Dal in NS. I'm an ON Resident.

Is anyone else finding it difficult to wait for the applications to open? I have a gazillion things to keep on top of, yet my mind seems to find a way to auto-pilot through all of it and stay obsessed with Med apps. :P

Best of luck to all of US!!

I'll be applying this cycle !! first time applying, studying MCAT this summer. UofC is my only option. *cross fingers

edit: i am not in any way considered a strong applicant, i'll need to really work on wording my ECs for my application so im hoping i can receive some help ;)

Hey asta,

Thanks for the link! I was looking for this! Yes, I'm excited to apply too! The OAS application start date is just around the corner. Eeps! So excited.

Hey jp,

Good luck! As time rolls around I'll be sure to update the thread. Also, if there were any successful applicants this round with tips, please lend them this way for everyone!

Hey appleman! Good luck!! Do you know when Dal opens up their app cycle?

I'll be applying this cycle !! first time applying, studying MCAT this summer. UofC is my only option. *cross fingers

edit: i am not in any way considered a strong applicant, i'll need to really work on wording my ECs for my application so im hoping i can receive some help ;)

Best of luck, hockey_whiz! Good luck with the MCAT and the apps. Yeah, UofC will open up the apps in July!

good luck everyone! for the past 2 years OMSAS has been up by mid-july, so i imagine that should be the same this year. make sure to get started early :P

Mid-July?! K, this helps so much bj! I thought for some reason they open up their apps in September!

Good luck to all of you apply for next year!! I'll be cheering you on :)

And Cerena, you should apply to Montreal ;)

I am weighing this out! I may end up doing just that.

Just a question for members: which schools require a personal statement?

Update: Dalhousie opens apps on July 1st and requires a 1500 word essay.

good idea for post, i too am waiting for OMSAS to open. i have been working on listing all my EC's and getting verifiers. my undergrad is done so can't do too much more about that...

i applied 2 years ago to U of C but having no pure science background my MCAT score is what blew it.

i live way far north so NOSM is for me next year!

good luck!

Gonna apply this cycle as well (3rd year)! Not really expecting to get in (I had a pretty rough 1st year) but banking on Mac/Queens to get an interview (11/11/11R MCAT).

Hope to see some of you guys next Feb/Mar!

This is a great idea Cerena! I am applying this year as well. I applied as a third year student last year to Ottawa but was rejected preinterview. I think it may have been because I didn't spend much time making sure my autobiographical sketch was written nicely. I am rewriting the MCATs this summer so depending on how they go I will be applying to most of the schools in Canada. I am ip in Northern Ontario so hopefully NOSM will take me! Good luck to everyone and I would be more than happy to help if anyone has questions about the application process! Last year OMSAS applications came out on July 15.

Hey FinalShowTime,

I would definitely apply in your third year. Even if you just get an interview it is great experience for next year!

I do not know if I should apply this year. I will be starting my third year in Engineering...I do not know if it would be appropriate to apply before I finish my 4th year...

Nice to see lots of others joining :)

I just wanted to give a piece of advice to everyone. If you are applying for the first time, especially, go ahead and make sure you have an idea of what type of activities you want to include in your ECs. I made a list of mine before aps opened and it just seemed to flow really nice by the time I had to enter everything in. Also, maybe this is just me being anal but make sure you have an idea of who you'll want to include as verifiers in your app. I found that you sooner you do this the better. This is only if you want to be prepared ahead of time: Canada doesn't have rolling admissions so an application submitted later in the time frame should not matter. However, I had a friend who submitted her applicant rather close to the deadline and her transcripts did not get in on time due to problems with Canada post. And, even though it was technically not her fault, admissions were horrible to her. They ended up letting it fly, but trust me. The earlier you submit your app, transcripts, MCAT scores the more piece of mind you'll have.

Also, try not to stress out too much. Especially if you are in third year, or doing this for the first time! Be proud of the fact that you have decided to go for your dreams. Even though some of us think we have no chance of getting in this year, look at this site haha. People get in all the time and some of us might get lucky.

Make sure you have others help look at your EC descriptions/personal essay/etc. Some suggestions include your school's career services centre, other premeds, medical students, anyone close who has a knack for writing.

Oh, and for anyone wishing to apply to the US, there's a great forum here for US medical school apps: http://www.premed101.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=39

As a heads up, the US has rolling admissions. The sooner you hand in your primary, the better. Here is the SDN website which is a forum like this one but primarily for US applicants: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10

A good resource to go to there is "Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012" http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823760

Oh I guess I should add. I am writing the MCAT this summer (can't wait to be done). This will be my first time applying and I am apply to UBC, U of C, U of A because I have IP for all of them. I'll also apply to a number of schools out east, but I out of those I think I only have a chance at Queens.

I am a fourth year student. I have some typical EC's but the significant ones are fairly unique and I am trying to figure out how to properly present them. I am interested to see how my GPA will go over - I have a fantastic past two years (full time) but a not so awesome other full time year and a bunch of downright awful part time years.

P.S. If anyone is applying or has applied to Quebec medical schools out of province, would you be able to share some info on how OOP applicants are looked at? I have a vague of idea of this but really, I know little about applying to Qc schools. Kindly post here or send me a PM.

P.S. If anyone is applying or has applied to Quebec medical schools out of province, would you be able to share some info on how OOP applicants are looked at? I have a vague of idea of this but really, I know little about applying to Qc schools. Kindly post here or send me a PM.

For the 3 French schools - looks like QC has a deal with the maritime provinces. Besides that, there seems to be about 1 spot reserved for a francophone student from outside QC/maritimes (either French school, or pass a French test) and then a few for international/army... I'm sure it's at most 1 spot at Montreal and Laval, not specified for Sherbrooke. I'm kinda surprised at this actually, but I guess the 3 schools really specifically cater to the QC population.

I didn't look specifically at McGill who I imagine takes more OOP students.

for people who have applied to calgary, whats on their application form?? Like obviously theres' ECs, but what other categories... and since im a nursing student.. will i be able to include my clinical experiences anywhere?

If I remember correctly from last cycle for your top 5 EC they give you additional space to write about it (e.g. why you felt it made an impact, etc).

For the 3 French schools - looks like QC has a deal with the maritime provinces. Besides that, there seems to be about 1 spot reserved for a francophone student from outside QC/maritimes (either French school, or pass a French test) and then a few for international/army... I'm sure it's at most 1 spot at Montreal and Laval, not specified for Sherbrooke. I'm kinda surprised at this actually, but I guess the 3 schools really specifically cater to the QC population.

I didn't look specifically at McGill who I imagine takes more OOP students.

O.o! I'm out. lol

Thanks for the info, psycho.

Archived