Premed 101 Forums

Applying in 3rd Year - Thoughts?

Hey guys! Just wanna be realistic here...

I'm going into my 3rd year of undergrad with a 3.74 (I go to the University of Calgary). As I'm only a 3rd year, I realize this is a bit of a problem, because I understand this is considered a low GPA for a 3rd year applicant.

What's the outlook for me for medical schools in Canada in terms of even getting an interview? I think that University of Calgary might be more lenient when it comes to GPA, but I'm not sure about the other schools. I was told that no 3rd year students from my school with GPAs of under 3.88 were invited for interview at the University of Alberta.

Do you guys know of many or any friends who were invited for an interviews with GPAs of less than 3.8, who happened to apply in their 3rd year? I know that GPA isn't everything, but I'm starting to get a sense that the reality is that it counts for much more than I had thought in most schools, particularly pre-interview, and particularly in the east (and U of A even...). :(

You would have to have some really killer ECs to get an interview anywhere as a third year with your current GPA, even Calgary which is more holistic in its approach to grades. GL

I figured as much. Have you ever seen/heard of it happening before?

Sorry dude, historically 3rd year applicants need to be on fire GPA wise, and that is supplemented with good ECs and in-province. I'm sure there is a case or two out there but nothing I have come across in the last few years of playing this game.

FYI. I applied as a third year last year, and I have what most would consider killer ECs plus I was a mature student, my GPA was only slightly higher than yours (first year sucked) and I didn't get past interview.

Hang in there, one year means F-all. Apply locally anyway, it will only cost a few hundread and it will be good practice. You will also get your scores back on ECs and that can help in the way you write them up next time. GL

Thanks for the honest insight, I really do appreciate it :D !

So you applied to U of C last year right?

I do believe I have significantly above average ECs, but like you alluded to, I'm sure the other 3rd year students with killer GPAs will likely also have the same or more.

I have seen lots of talks on this forum on how important it is to present your ECs properly. I read about the one guy who had thousands upon thousands of hours of activities in legitimately respectable and varied pursuits and only received a 12.5/25 on his activities score.

If you don't mind me asking, what were a few of the things you ended up changing in the way you presented your ECs after applying the second time around? :P

I just wanted to say, Para D, I'm really grateful that I could get such an insightful response to my first few posts on this website. :) I appreciate it!

Thanks for realism too :D I definitely gotta turn things way up starting this year!

Heh heh, I definitely haven't discovered a new element, sad to say...

I know nothing about applying as a 3rd year applicant, but I think you should apply even if you don't think you have a good chance. Worst case scenario, you spend $150 and get some useful feedback about where to improve for next time once you know your score on the various parts of the application.

My feeling is that with a 3.74 GPA you might get an interview from Queens, which is indifferent to residency. But this would depend on your MCAT and ECs. This also assumes you have at least 4 FCE in each of the 2 years and both years are above 3.7.

That's an interesting idea! I never actually considered it before, thanks! :)

I know nothing about applying as a 3rd year applicant, but I think you should apply even if you don't think you have a good chance. Worst case scenario, you spend $150 and get some useful feedback about where to improve for next time once you know your score on the various parts of the application.

Yup, you're right! I think it would be really valuable to be able to get that feedback, I'll be applying for sure :D

Hey guys! Just wanna be realistic here...

I'm going into my 3rd year of undergrad with a 3.74 (I go to the University of Calgary). As I'm only a 3rd year, I realize this is a bit of a problem, because I understand this is considered a low GPA for a 3rd year applicant.

What's the outlook for me for medical schools in Canada in terms of even getting an interview? I think that University of Calgary might be more lenient when it comes to GPA, but I'm not sure about the other schools. I was told that no 3rd year students from my school with GPAs of under 3.88 were invited for interview at the University of Alberta.

Do you guys know of many or any friends who were invited for an interviews with GPAs of less than 3.8, who happened to apply in their 3rd year? I know that GPA isn't everything, but I'm starting to get a sense that the reality is that it counts for much more than I had thought in most schools, particularly pre-interview, and particularly in the east (and U of A even...). :(

Even though your a third year, take this oppurtunity to practice your application technique and hopefully you will even get a chance to practice an MMI. The worst that can happen is you dont get in and reapply after your degree. But remember the whole time to be confident and never count yourself out. I was a third year applicant with <3.7 cGPA and somehow got in, albeat I was a mature student with previous health care employment. If you believe in yourself, are confident, and truly are a right fit for medicine, you may just suprise yourself. Plus your only out 150 bucks in the end, but the experience will pay dividends when you go to apply the next year. Best of luck to you!!

This isn't meant to give you false hope, as your GPA is indeed on the lower side for a 3rd year, but I had a 3.83 UofC GPA and got accepted off the bat as a 3rd yr. I also got into alberta, mac, and queen`s, and only rejected at toronto...where that kind of gpa is low for anyone! I have never had a research project either. However, I entered the admissions cycle honestly not expecting an acceptance, but hoping to gain experience from the whole process. If I needed to apply again next year, I am positive that I could write my app MUCH better now. I was also secretly hoping to get an interview somewhere, to get the interview experience and at least know what to expect when I tried again. I know it`s cliche, but in this case it is absolutely true - its not the result, its the experience. A result would be a pleasant surprise, but I hope you are planning on applying regardless (given you have some time to sit down and write the apps).

As you fill out the app (especially for the UofA extracirrics, I found) you will find holes in your application that you simply can`t avoid, and will hopefully be able to adjust for the next cycle. Best of luck to you this year, but if not, you`ll be a star next year :)

do we have to pay first before we get the online application.. or can anyone have access to the online app once it opens?

anyone can access. just have to sign up. there is a link to pay where you can pay anytime.

Sorry dude, historically 3rd year applicants need to be on fire GPA wise, and that is supplemented with good ECs and in-province. I'm sure there is a case or two out there but nothing I have come across in the last few years of playing this game.

FYI. I applied as a third year last year, and I have what most would consider killer ECs plus I was a mature student, my GPA was only slightly higher than yours (first year sucked) and I didn't get past interview.

Hang in there, one year means F-all. Apply locally anyway, it will only cost a few hundread and it will be good practice. You will also get your scores back on ECs and that can help in the way you write them up next time. GL

what exactly do you mean by "write them up."

Archived