Premed 101 Forums

To those who got in with 3.0-3.49 GPA

So I have a lower GPA in that range. And According to the mac website there were about 9 people who were admitted with a GPA in the range of 3.0-3.49. I just wanted to know what you did differently to get in. Were you guys mostly masters/phd students or something, or were u just typical undergrads who applied. How did u set your self apart and manage to get in with a lower GPA? Any tips would be really really really really really helpful!

Ditto dr.fixit's post! My cGPA is 3.35 (Yes, I know I don't stand a chance, however I have a decent VR and have a good feeling about CASPeR (caps ok?)). Also, my ECs should help me stand out quite a bit.

Hope there's at least 1 of those 9 here on premed101.

According to what I've read, candidates are ranked prior to the interview based on the following factors: 50% CASPER (or however it's spelled), 25% GPA, 25% verbal reasoning score from the MCAT. In addition to pursuing further studies to improve your GPA (grad school is a great way, and can also strengthen your application in other ways), you can get a good VR score and do well on the CASPER to get to the interview stage. After that, a strong interview score will carry you the rest of the way (I think it's worth 70% of your ranking score post-interview).

From the formulas on the website, I'm not sure how much McMaster looks at reference letters, extra curricular activities, etc.

This is from what I've read and understand, but I haven't talked to anyone in admissions about it, so take it how you will.

I looked at it again so it seems they are from the previous cycle of admission. there have been anywhere from about 3-9 people who got in with a low GPA. I also emailed the admission people and she said that these people often do have a masters degree, but is not necessary as it only adds a small percent to your GPA which is not that big of an advantage. She said that you need an even higher verbal score and casper score given your lower GPA, to have a better chance. and yea you are right about the breakdown. I also heard that the reference letters are only considered when there is a tie...

So i guess destroy the verbal section i would aim for a 13-14, and an amazing casper. and yea should be okay i think.

Sorry in advance for how useless this post will be, but here's my story.

Did my undergrad, did a lot of nothing for the first bit except drink and play rugby, finished with 3.44 in undergrad. This was my third time applying, and most likely the last before I either gave up, or shipped off to Oz. I had a M.Sc. in progress during the app (so it didn't affect my score), have a few presentations in peer-review confs, and a few manuscripts in the works but no pubs.

My VR was 10, so just below average for last year (10.8 or something?). I neither liked nor disliked casper, and although I didn't think the interview went badly, I did not leave feeling like I killed it. One thing I did come away with from the interview was that I didn't feel like I bombed a station, I thought I was pretty consistent the whole way through (which wasn't hard since I just said the first thing that popped into my head....)

Also, I received an interview off the interview waitlist (I was stoked to find out there was such a thing), and got my first choice on May 5.

Short answer to your question. I did nothing differently, the only difference between then and now was I got older..........and I learned how to do a backflip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIUM6n6b88Y)

Hope this at least gives someone a little hope to stick it out, things can work out eventually!

From the formulas on the website, I'm not sure how much McMaster looks at reference letters, extra curricular activities, etc.

On my interview day, I asked the 1st year med student guiding us. He said Mac uses reference letters after the interview in case of a tie-breaker.

Sorry in advance for how useless this post will be, but here's my story.

Did my undergrad, did a lot of nothing for the first bit except drink and play rugby, finished with 3.44 in undergrad. This was my third time applying, and most likely the last before I either gave up, or shipped off to Oz. I had a M.Sc. in progress during the app (so it didn't affect my score), have a few presentations in peer-review confs, and a few manuscripts in the works but no pubs.

My VR was 10, so just below average for last year (10.8 or something?). I neither liked nor disliked casper, and although I didn't think the interview went badly, I did not leave feeling like I killed it. One thing I did come away with from the interview was that I didn't feel like I bombed a station, I thought I was pretty consistent the whole way through (which wasn't hard since I just said the first thing that popped into my head....)

Also, I received an interview off the interview waitlist (I was stoked to find out there was such a thing), and got my first choice on May 5.

Short answer to your question. I did nothing differently, the only difference between then and now was I got older..........and I learned how to do a backflip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIUM6n6b88Y)

Hope this at least gives someone a little hope to stick it out, things can work out eventually!

My story is very similar to this one. (except i can't do a back flip).

I have 3.4gpa at uoft and scored 11 on VR. I finished an MSc before applying for the 3rd time. This was the only time I was offered an interview. And I was only offered the interview off the waitlist (and just like dblu, I was psyched). Casper felt decent to me, but not amazing. The interview went pretty well i thought. I felt better about it than Casper. I was also accepted into first choice of site location on May 5th.

having a bad gpa is tough. but it's still possible to get into a school. good luck.

My story is very similar to this one. (except i can't do a back flip).

I have 3.4gpa at uoft and scored 11 on VR. I finished an MSc before applying for the 3rd time. This was the only time I was offered an interview. And I was only offered the interview off the waitlist (and just like dblu, I was psyched). Casper felt decent to me, but not amazing. The interview went pretty well i thought. I felt better about it than Casper. I was also accepted into first choice of site location on May 5th.

having a bad gpa is tough. but it's still possible to get into a school. good luck.

Did both of you feel you were able to properly answer every CASPER prompt? I have similar stats to you (slightly higher actually), but felt I bombed one question (received no interview). Seriously, this CASPER thing is a mystery to me. Just wondering if consistency is the key I guess.

Did both of you feel you were able to properly answer every CASPER prompt? I have similar stats to you (slightly higher actually), but felt I bombed one question (received no interview). Seriously, this CASPER thing is a mystery to me. Just wondering if consistency is the key I guess.

CASPER was a bit of a blur for me. It went by so fast. I wrote out pretty much the first thing that came to my head for every answer. This probably wasn't so bad for me because I prepared for MMI type questions the previous year (I interviewed at UBC as an IP student last year). I felt I was able to answer every question reasonably. There wasn't a single question where I felt i bombed it. But it went by so quickly, that it was hard to even sit back and reflect. After the whole experience, I could probably remember one or two questions. So it was pretty hard for me to gauge. I just had a gut feeling i did decent.

Yea CASPER was a bit of a gong show. I pretty much just typed whatever popped into my head at the time. I know this doesn't help at all, but I was completely confused after CASPER (and the interview for that matter), I had no idea where I stood.

Take this with a grain of salt as it was my 3rd time applying, but I just wrote exactly what I felt, and it worked. I honestly think they're just looking for honest answers, and I'm pretty sure they can pick out people writing what the appraisers just want them to say.

• 5 weeks later...
In addition to pursuing further studies to improve your GPA (grad school is a great way, and can also strengthen your application in other ways), you can get a good VR score and do well on the CASPER to get to the interview stage.

Just to be clear... Mac only looks at your UNDERGRAD grades for their GPA assessment, correct?

Yeap. and they give +1% or 4% to applicants on their score who have a Master's or a PhD respectively

Formula 1 - 25% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 25% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score, 46% CASPer Score, up to 4% Graduate degree (1% Master's degree/4% PhD).**

Formula 2 - 70% Multiple Mini Interview Score, 15% Undergraduate Grade Point Average, 15% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score.

Just to be clear... Mac only looks at your UNDERGRAD grades for their GPA assessment, correct?

NB this is only if you already have the degree. No points if you almost have it, the way you get concessions at U of T or Queen's if you're almost done your degree.

NB this is only if you already have the degree. No points if you almost have it, the way you get concessions at U of T or Queen's if you're almost done your degree.

I've wondered about this for some time...

I defended and submitted my thesis in August 2010, but didn't graduate until October 2010. When I filled out my OMSAS application I put October 2010 (they didn't ask for a specific date) as my graduation date. Do you think they would have given me the extra 1%? (Not that it really matters, but I'm curious.)

Archived