Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters

Hi Guys,

Not sure how much information is available in regards to this topic and/or if it has been answered. If answered, I apologize for the double post.

I will be applying to like 4 schools in September as I do not qualify for other schools. My question is how does Western perceive Reference Letters. I am in a double major Biology and Psychology, but I am planning on getting one of my letters from a Geography professor I had.

Would not getting my reference letter from my majors hurt my chances. I am getting one of the three from my Bio prof, but the second one I want to get from my Geo prof as I believe he will write a good letter. Most of my psych profs are snobs and I don't want to approach them for one.

Thanks in advance.

As far as most people are concerned, Western does not weigh the letters in any particular way either pre- or post-interview. If i had to hazard a guess, the ref letters are simply used as red flags if anything odd pops up in them. Other than that, they aren't mentioned at any stage of the process. Hope that helps.

regardless of whether reference letters are used or not at UWO (it's all speculation by the way - no one knows for SURE if they REALLY don't use them), you'll need them to complete your OMSAS application, along with for any other school you apply to.

it shouldn't be a problem at all that you got it from your geography prof, as long as you've built up a solid relationship with him/her and truly believe they will write an outstanding letter

good luck!

I think the most important thing is to have good quality reference letters, regardless of who they're from. For example, I had a letter from a family friend, one from a high school teacher and one from a work supervisor who I'd worked with for two years. I didn't have any from my university professors or my research supervisor. I was accepted at Western and Memorial (which definitely uses the letters).

I guess my point is it's not a big deal to use your geography prof if you think they'll write the better letter. Go with the person who you feel knows you the best and who will write the best letter.

Good luck!

Archived