Premed 101 Forums

Taking 2nd year course in my first year?

I'm a biology major at york and I need a course to fill in my schedule to have a full course load. I wanted to take Human Physiology I (HH/KINE 2011 3.00), it has no prerequisite courses so I guess I'm allowed to enroll in that course.

Do you guys think I'll be able to do well in the course with no knowledge of first year biology (its a fall course), or am i biting off more than i can chew?

I'm a biology major at york and I need a course to fill in my schedule to have a full course load. I wanted to take Human Physiology I (HH/KINE 2011 3.00), it has no prerequisite courses so I guess I'm allowed to enroll in that course.

Do you guys think I'll be able to do well in the course with no knowledge of first year biology (its a fall course), or am i biting off more than i can chew?

If you took high school bio, you should be fine. IIRC, apart from the beginning of Human phys 1, which covers the basic aspects and parts of the cell, there is little overlap between that and first year biology. Plus, its easier than most, (probably all) bio courses

uhmm some people in that class don't even have grade 11 bio... i think you should be fine!

In previous years, KINE 2011 was a no brainer because Gillian Wu taught most of it. The professor has now changed, though, and some of my friends have told me that the new prof is much tougher. The material itself is pretty straightforward, but the tests can be tricky depending on the prof. I know Olivier Birot is a tricky guy lol... but still, you can do well on it.

That course is usually for kine majors, BA and BSc, so if it has no prerequisites and remembering that half of the students follow more of an art side and also have not much previous science knowledge, I'm sure it's safe to take. But also like vanillabear said, I heard it's not an easy course.

I'm going to an American school, so I can't comment on the difficulty level of A & P in Canada, however, my first year A & P class in the States was HARD. As you know, in the States, 93% + is an A. I put in at least 12+ hours per week on the lecture portion and 7-10 hours per week on the lab component. My hard work paid off, I got mid-90s on the lecture and over 100 in the lab. I know people who put that much time in and got in the B-range. Not bragging, but just wanted to put it out there that it's a GPA killer and it's not hard to do poorly even w/ considerable effort.

Archived