Premed 101 Forums

Where to buy trendy furnititure?

thehockeykid

I will be living in a house next semester and I will need to purchase some furniture (double bed, desk, dresser drawers)

I was wondering where are some inexpensive stores to look for furniture? I know ikea is one of the first to come to mind, I kind of want to look at other alternatives.

However if I can't find a store that would fit my needs I may customize the ikea furniture add some upholstery to the backboard of a bed.

You forgot Adrianna Lima. Or Eva Green. Or Scarlett Johannson. Or Jessica Alba, or Megan Fox, or Blake Lively. Or Dianna Argon. Or Bar Refaeli.

Ummmmmmm Ikea is good for student furniture. NEVER buy from Idomo (do they still exist?). Honestly, garage sales can sometimes bring unexpected treasures under a low budget...

I'd advise against IKEA, it's generally very poor quality. The few things I have from there that are nice were also fairly expensive, on par with nicer furniture stores. It's also a pain to buy a lot of stuff from there at once - by the time you are done assembling everything, you'll be ready to rip your hair out. If you are going to get stuff from there, invest in an electric screwdriver - best $40 I ever spent. I also got some stuff at Leon's. And I second the suggestion about thrift stores! I got some really sturdy stuff as well as some items with "character" from places like Salvation Army. But you have to come in every day or so for a while, preferably in the morning - various antiques dealers go in there all the time to look for stuff they can restore and sell for 100x the price, so you gotta get there before them.

+1 on Kijiji idea

Although I only bought skis through kijiji, I saw a lot of awesome furniture on there. I think if you visit it daily you might be lucky and get a hold of something of great quality and barely used for a ridiculously low price. You won't believe how many people just want to quickly get rid of their stuff - you will find many ads advertising furniture for free (you might have to pick it up though).

Additionally, you can also find some pretty rare items on kijiji that will only make your home unique and eclectic.

Have fun shopping!!

Go to a garage sale. Some communities do a community wide garage sale, you can find all sorts of neat things at a great price that will fit your budget.

+100 to the kijiji idea, sometimes people give away furniture( but you have to be quick) for instance I got a piano for free on kijiji and it was in excellent shape the owners were moving and had to get rid of it.

costco sells furniture sets periodically and its high quality... then again if you love puzzles ikea is good for that.. but it is cheap crap that will break in a year..

Goodluck!:)

I have to disagree (to a certain extent) with abstract about Ikea. Sure, some of their stuff is cheap, but I have an AWESOME desk from there- solid pine. It's at least 8 years old, and aside from the fact it needs a dusting, is in excellent shape. I'm taking it apart and taking it with me when I move for sure! Also their Billy bookcases (at least their old ones) are probably the best bookcases you'll ever find.

I love putting together Ikea furniture though. Reminds me of my childhood and the hundreds (if not thousands) of things of lego I built. Follow the instructions and you end up with a great result! It's like lego- for adults! :D

I have to disagree (to a certain extent) with abstract about Ikea. Sure, some of their stuff is cheap, but I have an AWESOME desk from there- solid pine. It's at least 8 years old, and aside from the fact it needs a dusting, is in excellent shape. I'm taking it apart and taking it with me when I move for sure! Also their Billy bookcases (at least their old ones) are probably the best bookcases you'll ever find.

I love putting together Ikea furniture though. Reminds me of my childhood and the hundreds (if not thousands) of things of lego I built. Follow the instructions and you end up with a great result! It's like lego- for adults! :D

I think the problem with Ikea is that they have some great stuff that is awesome (i love their 1.00 hotdogs.. lol), but some stuff really is crap. For instance, we bought a nightstand from Ikea, it fell apart during the ottawa earthquake because the glue wore out. But my cousin has a futon that is great and it is a decade old.

Craigslist, Kijiji, and Redflagdeals (if you're in TO or Mtl) for the big things and electronics. Dollar store for the small things. And occasionally some of the major furniture stores will have great sales. Like I bought my whole queen sized bed set with sheets/pillows/mattress/etc. for less than $500 shipped from Jysk.

If money starts running low then selectively supplement with your parent's furniture. Don't take too much away at the same time. Take stuff here and there from around the house. I got away with a computer desk, 3 lamps, random coasters, kitchen stuff, etc. :D

Instructions for lego???

128826716086921034.jpg

Instructions for lego???[/img]

Yeah! I always followed the instructions for the building/car/spaceship/whatever when I first got it. When it got dismantled, I'd build random stuff without instructions. I think I do have all the instruction books from all the lego kits I ever got (which is like... A LOT). What can I say, I followed the rules as a kid- right down to my lego:o. But seriously, you need instructions to build this (which I built as a kid):

list_2_30_20101108_100031_189.jpg

EDIT: Wrt Ikea quality, yeah, some of their stuff is cheap- for more than one reason. I don't buy the stuff that's got glue and isn't solid wood from there. Solid wood won't come apart in an earthquake (unless it's a REALLY bad one, but then again, if it does, a fallen apart desk is likely the least of your worries....). Just like everything else, some stuff is good, some stuff is crap.

structube is a pretty good place. but I have to say I love IKEA. Splurged and got myself an amazing desk from there and it has been great. But I would check out some Salvation Army stores as well; I got my dresser there for $25 and it's in decent condition and pretty big.

Archived