Premed 101 Forums

Journey to the MCAT

GessO

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place (newbie) but since the end result of all this babbling is asking for help with the MCAT, :) I'll just post here.

I'm a 25yr old Visual Arts graduate from York University (2008) who after much review and soul searching has realized that she wants and has always wanted to become a doctor. Suffice to say that at the time of choosing an undergraduate degree I believed myself not smart enough to be a doctor or nurse (programs I did look at) so I went with something that made me happy, but not passionate.

In the space between then and now, I've worked at commercial galleries, art centres, camps, worked as a photographer in the bahamas, shot weddings and babies and currently run a campus pub at York U. - I have taken in a depth of experience that in each case has pushed me towards finally kicking my own butt into gear and getting this done.

My GPA is a good 3.5, I've applied to return to York to get some much needed science pre requisites for some med schools (as well as up the grade point) and am planning on taking the MCAT early 2012 with hopes that I'll be entering my first med school class in 2013. As you can see I've planned this out :D

However first road block is, my last science courses in biology, physics and chem were in high school and as I flip through my TPR - I am a little lost. Okay alot lost lol - And though yes maybe 9-10 months is perhaps kinda sorta super eager beaver of me to begin studying for the MCAT :o but ... come august Ill be back to full time work and possible night courses and I just want to feel confident in the subjects so the studying goes to MCAT prep and thought process.

So end result being ... :o anybody in the downtown toronto area a good tutor or have good books to recommend that review the subjects clearly (specifically, chemistry, organic chemistry and physics) for an out of science gal?

I used the TPR books my first time writing an found them way to overwhelming. I would try the kaplan premiere book. It's very basic so you can understand the basics and then if you are really stuck on something, you have the TPR to get more info on it. That's what I did anyways. Also, I found the kaplan book didn't use many examples so I did all of the practice questions in the theory portions of tpr to make sure I really understood the concepts. Hope this helps!

I'm taking the MCAT without haven taken Organic Chem, I found that TPR is really thorough and lets you build a solid foundation. So if you haven't taken chem/orgo chem before or completely forgot I would recommend TPR, it might have more info but that info helps you get a better understanding of the material.

For Bio and Verbal I would say EK is better.

Fair warning for amything physics, its going to require a working knowledge of math - trig, calc and vectors.

The MCAT books dknt teach this for obvious reason.

Good luck!

Maybe i'll dump into you on campus next year :)

There is a math section in the back of the physical science section of the tpr book from the course. it goes through any type of math you would encounter on the mcat with lots of examples. also i don't think there is calculus on the exam. ive never encountered it anyways. but definitely trig and vectors!

Given that your GPA is a 3.5 and you're a humanities major, I would suggest writing the MCAT and only doing the VR section. I am sure you will get somewhere around 12 and possibly even higher. With a 3.5 + 12 GPA and a good CASPER, you will be good for McMaster. This is the quickest route to medicine.

Even if you don't do well, there is no harm, since most Canadian schools will take your best MCAT.

In order for you to apply to Queens, UWO, UofT, you will need higher GPA.

A 3.5 is really, really low...the only schools you MAY have a shot at (and an outside one at that) are UMan and perhaps Calg if your courseload was rigorous and you kill the MCAT...if you have a couple of solid years- typically at least a 3.7 with a full courseload- within that, then it's a different story. Otherwise, you're probably going to have to do another 2 years. I'd focus on the GPA before worrying about the MCAT if I were you. GPA is king in Canada.

Just to clarify, a 3.5 is not really really low in itself. It's a very respectable GPA, but on the low end for the typical student gaining admission to medicine in Canada. That said, a 3.5 is totally usable depending on the situation. For instance, GPA is only worth 25% at McMaster, so no real worries there if you can do well on the mcat verbal section and casper. If you get a grad degree, a 3.5 would probably fine for UofT if you have a good grad record. For Calgary, 3.5 is fine - it won't be an outside chance if you have good extracurriculars, and a decent overall mcat score. Plus, if your later years are higher than 3.7, as the above poster mentioned, you're good for Western and Queens, and your chances improve for Calgary as well.

No doubt GPA may be king as people say, but there are ways around it if you're willing to kill the mcat and boost your extracurriculars. I don't think that 3.5 is low enough to warrant an extra undergrad degree at this point. Make sure the other areas of your application are strong then apply and see how you fair.

However first road block is, my last science courses in biology, physics and chem were in high school and as I flip through my TPR - I am a little lost.

Writing the MCAT before you complete your prereqs in uni is not a good idea.

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place (newbie) but since the end result of all this babbling is asking for help with the MCAT, :) I'll just post here.

I'm a 25yr old Visual Arts graduate from York University (2008) who after much review and soul searching has realized that she wants and has always wanted to become a doctor. Suffice to say that at the time of choosing an undergraduate degree I believed myself not smart enough to be a doctor or nurse (programs I did look at) so I went with something that made me happy, but not passionate.

In the space between then and now, I've worked at commercial galleries, art centres, camps, worked as a photographer in the bahamas, shot weddings and babies and currently run a campus pub at York U. - I have taken in a depth of experience that in each case has pushed me towards finally kicking my own butt into gear and getting this done.

My GPA is a good 3.5, I've applied to return to York to get some much needed science pre requisites for some med schools (as well as up the grade point) and am planning on taking the MCAT early 2012 with hopes that I'll be entering my first med school class in 2013. As you can see I've planned this out :D

However first road block is, my last science courses in biology, physics and chem were in high school and as I flip through my TPR - I am a little lost. Okay alot lost lol - And though yes maybe 9-10 months is perhaps kinda sorta super eager beaver of me to begin studying for the MCAT :o but ... come august Ill be back to full time work and possible night courses and I just want to feel confident in the subjects so the studying goes to MCAT prep and thought process.

So end result being ... :o anybody in the downtown toronto area a good tutor or have good books to recommend that review the subjects clearly (specifically, chemistry, organic chemistry and physics) for an out of science gal?

Oh you reality checkers you ;)

The last two years of my degree my GPA is solid, about 3.8. Lowest mark is a B. All four years makes it 3.5 because my first year was spent... well enjoying the year and adjusting and then the second year was spent not enjoying the year and not adjusting:( . I am currently enrolled back in school and getting chem/bio/physics. Hoping this will better prep me.

I'm not worried about fast tracking or a quick route, it's a tentative two year plan to give me the best shot I can have at a handful of med schools (and yes some include the ones you've all mentioned). If it doesn't work, then theres another year, another try.

Archived