Premed 101 Forums

Chiropractic and Physiotherapy

s5260205

I think this highlights a major issue within the health care system today. Many Canadians do not seem to know the difference between physiotherapy and chiropractic. I would argue that OT and PT are very much underutilized by Canadians while Chiropractic is given more respect than it deserves.

On a side note, I'm also a strong proponent of massage therapy. Massage therapy, in my opinion should be covered to a greater extent by health plans, possibly even by provincial health plans. (I'm not sure how it is in other provinces but only PT/OT in a hospital setting is covered under OHIP). However in order to achieve this I do think that a new level of therapists would be required, not just your regular RMT.

I think this highlights a major issue within the health care system today. Many Canadians do not seem to know the difference between physiotherapy and chiropractic. I would argue that OT and PT are very much underutilized by Canadians while Chiropractic is given more respect than it deserves.

On a side note, I'm also a strong proponent of massage therapy. Massage therapy, in my opinion should be covered to a greater extent by health plans, possibly even by provincial health plans. (I'm not sure how it is in other provinces but only PT/OT in a hospital setting is covered under OHIP). However in order to achieve this I do think that a new level of therapists would be required, not just your regular RMT.

Massage therapy is amazing when you have the right therapist for your problems/issues! Mine (my best friend) is also finishing up her osteopathy 5 year course next year so she mixes up osteo and sports massage and is great for me. Provincial health plan doesn't cover massage therapy here either, only PT/OT in a hospital setting I think.

That reminds me D.O seems very interesting! Considering that I'm interested in medicine (obviously) but also PT and massage, the little bit I know about D.O. definitely appeals to me.

Where is your friend doing osteopathy? Do you mean D.O. in the states?

At first when I read into D.O. I was really impressed and figured it would be something that better suits me than being an MD. The more I think about it though, the more I can see why D.O. are not licensed to practice medicine in Canada (as far as I'm aware). The main reason I say this is that they're trained in too many different areas!! While I agree that treating patients should address the entire person, in a holistic approach, I think this can only occur when you have a team of individuals, each experts in their particular area.

From a personal perspective, i cannot live without my chiro and ART but can live without my PT.

Suffer form backpain? Has your PT done postural work with you?

Sports injuries. ART is active release therapy and is typically only done by chiro's. Chiro's dont just crack backs and do adjustments.

i dont let him crack my back or neck but he can abuse me with ART all day long. Its the only thing that lets me keep pushing to extremes in the gym

Sports injuries. ART is active release therapy and is typically only done by chiro's. Chiro's dont just crack backs and do adjustments.

i dont let him crack my back or neck but he can abuse me with ART all day long. Its the only thing that lets me keep pushing to extremes in the gym

Not true. I've had ART done by two separate PTs. Would never, ever see a chiro after a friend, in her early 30s, had a stroke after a chiro adjustment.

PTs are wonderful! Mine have helped me through so many running injuries, especially those trained in ART.

Not true. I've had ART done by two separate PTs. Would never, ever see a chiro after a friend, in her early 30s, had a stroke after a chiro adjustment.

PTs are wonderful! Mine have helped me through so many running injuries, especially those trained in ART.

Sorry i meant to say ART is done or was done primarily by chiro's. Typing on my ipad and on the treadmill at the same time lol

I've never encountered a PT that does ART so thats awesome you found one. It truly is an invaluable theraputic technique.

Sorry i meant to say ART is done or was done primarily by chiro's. Typing on my ipad and on the treadmill at the same time lol

I've never encountered a PT that does ART so thats awesome you found one. It truly is an invaluable theraputic technique.

And I'm saying that there are health care professionals, other than chiros, who do ART. Like I said, I would never, ever see a chiro. If I couldn't find a PT who does ART, I would do without. I just do not trust them at all after my friend had her stroke.

I agree with you that ART is wonderful therapy. I don't know if I would have been able to run any of the marathons I've done without it. But I've had it done by PTs - they are the only health professionals I trust to do that kind of therapy. I just have no trust for chiros at all. Even if they aren't adjusting my neck or back, I just don't want them anywhere near me - I've heard too many horror stories from friends who have seen chiros, including the one who sadly had the stroke. :(

on a side note, when someone constantly needs ART to workout, their must be something fundamentally wrong with their workout methodology.

Not necessarily. They could have horrible biomechanics.

I've had my running gait and biomechanics analyzed. I have one leg that is 1 cm longer than the other. I am knock-kneed and splay-footed. The Q angle for my right leg is incredibly small for a woman (my left Q angle is normal). So I'm just not built "properly." Thus physical therapy, massage therapy, ART, and strength training are all important for me to be able to continue to enjoy running - especially at the marathon distance. Certainly I could do without, and no longer run marathons (which is going to happen during medical school anyhow). But, until now, to me it's been well worth it to have these therapies to be able to continue to enjoy distance running.

Or perhaps we train pretty freaking hard?

Lets see how your body feels after 19 years of training and athletics.

Im not a gym rat that goes in and lifts a couple weights, hits on the gym bunnies and checks their phone. I'm a competitive bodybuilder and i dont give anything less than 100% each and every workout.

When you push your body to the limits its bound to breakdown but yeah, lets blame someone's workout methodology :rolleyes:

on a side note, when someone constantly needs ART to workout, there must be something fundamentally wrong with their workout methodology.

Archived