Premed 101 Forums

A Competitive Candidate for Irish Medical Schools

Hey Everyone

I was hoping someone could give me a general idea of who is considered a competitive candidate from Canada? In particular:

-Canadian GPA cut offs or averages for Irish Medical Schools

-MCAT scores for Irish Medical Schools

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
There are no cut offs but here was the general trend for this years acceptances:

gpa: 3.4-3.9

MCAT: 28-36 (mostly 30+)

*stats of applicants thread from sdn forums

I'm applying this year for the first time.

GPA: 3.81

gradGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 28T

Decent ECs, nothing extremely great though.

Will the low MCAT hurt me or should I expect an interview for RSCI/UL?

Is it possible to get interviewed at BOTH schools?

I'm applying this year for the first time.

GPA: 3.81

gradGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 28T

Decent ECs, nothing extremely great though.

Will the low MCAT hurt me or should I expect an interview for RSCI/UL?

Is it possible to get interviewed at BOTH schools?

Im guessing that you will be applying through the atlantic bridge program. ABP chooses the candidates they send to each school, meaning that abp is the first stage of the screening process. When the irish schools get the list, they choose the people they want to interview.

RCSI and UL hold interviews at different times of the year. RCSI likes to interview the majority of people early sometime in early March, while the interviews for UL are a month or two after that. The only way you can get interviewed at RCSI and UL is if RCSI rejects you after their interview. When RCSI sends you an acceptances letter you have to make your choice within several weeks, so you wont have time to wait for UL. Overall, it is unlikely to get interviewed by both.

Ive seen people accepted with MCAT's as low as 28, but it was rare. The majority of candidates had 30+. Your gpa (3.81) is pretty good so it should make up for your MCAT. I think that you have good chances for next year assuming you write a solid essay and get positive reference letters.

Im guessing that you will be applying through the atlantic bridge program. ABP chooses the candidates they send to each school, meaning that abp is the first stage of the screening process. When the irish schools get the list, they choose the people they want to interview.

RCSI and UL hold interviews at different times of the year. RCSI likes to interview the majority of people early sometime in early March, while the interviews for UL are a month or two after that. The only way you can get interviewed at RCSI and UL is if RCSI rejects you after their interview. When RCSI sends you an acceptances letter you have to make your choice within several weeks, so you wont have time to wait for UL. Overall, it is unlikely to get interviewed by both.

Ive seen people accepted with MCAT's as low as 28, but it was rare. The majority of candidates had 30+. Your gpa (3.81) is pretty good so it should make up for your MCAT. I think that you have good chances for next year assuming you write a solid essay and get positive reference letters.

Okay, sounds good. Do you know how they weight the interview? I couldn't find that information on the ABP site.

And do you think it's fairly certain that I'll be getting an interview? I'm leaning towards Ireland over USDO... of course, staying in Canada is my 1st choice but I'm not exactly putting all (or many) of my eggs in that basket.

Thanks for the info SuperDoctor. Are you enjoying Ireland?

I am not sure how much they weigh the interview. For RCSI a good chunk of the people interviewed end up getting accepted. I have not started my studies yet (Starting in Sept) but I heard this years class totals 62 students including Irish, Can, US, etc (I could be wrong).

I am fairly confident that you will get accepted by one of the schools in Ireland (UCC, UL, Limerick, UCD, or RCSI - 4 year programs) but you wont be handpicking them. If you want to get into the school of your choice then rewriting your MCAT should help. I know people that scored MCAT in their 30's (but lower gpa) and only got accepted near the end of this year's cycle.

I had a ~3.5 GPA and 32 MCAT and I got acceptance letters from both UCC and RCSI really early in the cycle. Although my stats weren't bad and weren't that great, I think it was my references that really helped me out.

I am not sure how much they weigh the interview. For RCSI a good chunk of the people interviewed end up getting accepted. I have not started my studies yet (Starting in Sept) but I heard this years class totals 62 students including Irish, Can, US, etc (I could be wrong).

I am fairly confident that you will get accepted by one of the schools in Ireland (UCC, UL, Limerick, UCD, or RCSI - 4 year programs) but you wont be handpicking them. If you want to get into the school of your choice then rewriting your MCAT should help. I know people that scored MCAT in their 30's (but lower gpa) and only got accepted near the end of this year's cycle.

I had a ~3.5 GPA and 32 MCAT and I got acceptance letters from both UCC and RCSI really early in the cycle. Although my stats weren't bad and weren't that great, I think it was my references that really helped me out.

62 is a great size for a class. Fingers crossed for the best in 2012!

Archived