Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Course or NOT??

Dr.Pepper

Hey guys

I am thinking of preparing for MCAT this summer and I wish to get some feedback on some of the prep courses that is offered in Toronto area. Some of which I looked into are Princeton Review, Kaplan and Prep101. I would appreciate feedback from those who have taken any of those prep courses.

Some of the things I'd like to know are: What were the pros and cons? Which one would you recommend? Were they helpful? Did you need any outside resources to complement the material covered in the course?

Also, if you prepared for the MCAT without enrolling in a course, which books did you use/recommend?

Really appreciate you feedback guys!! :o

Hey guys

I am thinking of preparing for MCAT this summer and I wish to get some feedback on some of the prep courses that is offered in Toronto area. Some of which I looked into are Princeton Review, Kaplan and Prep101. I would appreciate feedback from those who have taken any of those prep courses.

Some of the things I'd like to know are: What were the pros and cons? Which one would you recommend? Were they helpful? Did you need any outside resources to complement the material covered in the course?

Also, if you prepared for the MCAT without enrolling in a course, which books did you use/recommend?

Really appreciate you feedback guys!! :o

I took the course two years ago, I wasn't too impressed with anything besides the practice material I got and the exams, but you can get these for much cheaper than 2k second hand from people. I personally feel its a waste of money over something you can do sufficiently well on your own. I also recommend examkrackers books, I think their books are the best summaries. PR books, I didn't like at all for the PS section. PR was ok for BS. Their method for VR assumes infinite time allowance. Again, EK method is more reasonable.

Anyways, I say get the material and study on your own, at least that's just my humble opinion and what I would have done in a hindsight.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I just wanted to add that I took the pre-requisites, ex. physics, orgo, and phys chem years ago and I must admit that I don't remember anything from those courses. :eek:

Would you recommend taking the prep course for someone like me and get feedbacks from the course instructors? Or is it really just a big waste of money?

BTW what are PR, PS and other short-hand forms mean? Sorry, I am kinda new to the world of MCAT

PR = Princeton Review (publishing company)

PS = Physical Sciences (section on the MCAT)

I took the Kaplan prep course and although I don't think it was absolutely necessary, it helped to keep me on track.

I was also i the same situation as you and had taken all the related coursework, but had forgotten most of it. If you have good work habits, you should be able to buy materials and study on your own as suggested by floweriepot. Since you already have the science background, it will mostly be a refresher for you. In fact, I found myself quite bored in the Kaplan classes.

One consideration for me was that I was also working full time, and there was no way I'd have the motivation after an hour long commute to study on my own.

So if you have the money and time for class, then why not. But if you want to save some money and have good work habits, skip the class.

I tried self-study for my first attempt and then I took a summer intensive course from Kaplan prior to my second attempt, which, thankfully, had given me a more satisfying result.

I am sure everyone has his/her learning style and so there's no such thing as one size fits all. However, for me, going to the summer intensive course was helpful in that it really forced me to study according to the course outline and to spend adequate time on every examinable topic. The instructors were helpful in explaining and very approachable as they were also eager to help other students to score well on the MCAT. I personally had a hard time with verbal reasoning and physics and so it was helpful to have extra guidance as I went along. And of course, the prep materials were indispensable as they also included a lot of aamc practice exams.

P.S. I am not trying to advertise or to persuade you about taking mcat courses but I am just trying to give you an honest opinion from my own experience. Good luck!! :)

I decided to self study instead of taking a prep course. I got the princeton review books off ebay, examkrackers verbal reasoning, and kaplan premiere book. For me I found the kaplan to be better because the princeton review was really overwhelming. however, if you don't remember a lot of the material you may prefer to study from the princeton review. examkrackers verbal book is very good! I would definitely recommend this book. If you think you can be self motivated then I would save your money and try to get the course books on ebay like I did. Though like I said I haven't taken a prep course so I don't know if it's worth it or not.

I decided to self study instead of taking a prep course. I got the princeton review books off ebay, examkrackers verbal reasoning, and kaplan premiere book. For me I found the kaplan to be better because the princeton review was really overwhelming. however, if you don't remember a lot of the material you may prefer to study from the princeton review. examkrackers verbal book is very good! I would definitely recommend this book. If you think you can be self motivated then I would save your money and try to get the course books on ebay like I did. Though like I said I haven't taken a prep course so I don't know if it's worth it or not.

TPR prep course is okay...you can really self study and achieve more, but the instructors are good just in case you don't understand / get stuck on something. That's the only real advantage, aside from the diagnostics and exams (which you can buy yourself). Kaplan misses out on some essential concepts, and I find their physics concepts a bit over-simplified...

But that may be my bias because I like the PS section a lot more. I do believe though, that the Kaplan bio is a good headway into the EK bio. Their orgo is a bit simplified too..

NEVER use Kaplan VR. TPR VR I'm starting to have my doubts as well, but I think it may be a good start if you're just beginning for VR.

I started studying on my own (with Kaplan materials) and got through ~1/3 of the material over the course of a few months (studying very slowly).

I ended up taking the Kaplan online course, the one with prerecorded lectures. I ended up taking some time off from school, and finished the last 2/3 in the next 3.5 weeks. I thought the materials were quite good, though a little sparse in some regions (I very occasionally supplemented with textbooks and online stuff). The lectures were nice, and the course really emphasizes repeated test taking (which was super helpful for me).

The cost is crazy high in my opinion, it was ~$1700 when I took it. That said.... it worked out very well for me. I primarily used it to speed the whole process up.

I can't comment on any of the other courses, as I've never taken them.

NEVER use Kaplan VR. TPR VR I'm starting to have my doubts as well, but I think it may be a good start if you're just beginning for VR.

I think the VR was my favorite part :) I started VR with constant 8-9. On test day I scored a 13. Admittedly, I think that was something of a fluke, in practices I was generally scoring 11, with a rare 12.

Self studied, ended up using TPR/Kaplan books that I borrowed from friends.

I actually recently wrote a blog post that hopefully you (and others) might find helpful. - insert shameless plug

5 Reasons Why Studying for the MCAT on your own is Better than taking a Course

And a guide on how to self study for the MCAT.

How to Self Study For the MCAT

Self studied, ended up using TPR/Kaplan books that I borrowed from friends.

I actually recently wrote a blog post that hopefully you (and others) might find helpful. - insert shameless plug

5 Reasons Why Studying for the MCAT on your own is Better than taking a Course

And a guide on how to self study for the MCAT.

How to Self Study For the MCAT

Med, no need for the plug lol; I'm a VERY big fan of your blog. Thanks for posting that great resource! Do you still check your PMs?

I took the TPR course last year and found it to be largely useless. The material covered by the MCAT is not challenging at all. It's the way the questions are phrased, and the way they set up the answers that screws over people.

I didn't write it last year and am self studying this year. Here's my advice:

1) Unless you're the kind of person that has very little self motivation, the course isn't very helpful in terms of learning. It's mostly a way of staying on track and on schedule.

2) If self studying, you need a realistic, planned schedule. I'm following the Princeton Schedule so it's "as if" I'm taking the course. They have a pretty good schedule.

3) The good thing about enrolling in the course is that you get someone to mark your essays. I'm yet to figure out a way to deal with that.

4) Do a practice exam somewhere in your first month of studying. It brings the MCAT into perspective.

I took Prep101 in 2009:

1) the cost was ~$1200, a little bit cheaper than others

2) both weekday and weekend classes by different people, so you can go to class twice a week.

3) instructors overall knowledgable and professional.

In hindsight it did help me stay focused, and the classes were of some usefulness. The thing is, is all this worth $1200? It's hard to say.

I took Prep101 in 2009:

1) the cost was ~$1200, a little bit cheaper than others

2) both weekday and weekend classes by different people, so you can go to class twice a week.

3) instructors overall knowledgable and professional.

In hindsight it did help me stay focused, and the classes were of some usefulness. The thing is, is all this worth $1200? It's hard to say.

I think if this sums it quite nicely. I'm starting to think that the $1000 I paid for TPR is kinda biting me in the ass...could have done more if I self studied. But it is a safety net to make sure you're on track, and your pacing for certain subjects...whether or not it is worth the money is dependent on if you have the money to spend it on the first place.

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys. It seems course is useful in terms of staying on track and asking questions directly to instructors. However, some ppl do think it's a waste of money if you can self-study.

I want to self-study, but I took the pre-req's like orgo, physics and gchem years ago, and I am worried studying books alone (and not enrolling in a course) would not prepare me enough. I am scared I would get stuck on a physics/orgo concept I learned back in first year university and have no one ask.

Since I don't remember anything from those pre-reqs, would you recommend for someone like me to enroll in a prep course? Do you guys think I would learn in more detail in prep-courses or do the instructors pretty much go over what's written in the book?:confused:

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys. It seems course is useful in terms of staying on track and asking questions directly to instructors. However, some ppl do think it's a waste of money if you can self-study.

I want to self-study, but I took the pre-req's like orgo, physics and gchem years ago, and I am worried studying books alone (and not enrolling in a course) would not prepare me enough. I am scared I would get stuck on a physics/orgo concept I learned back in first year university and have no one ask.

Since I don't remember anything from those pre-reqs, would you recommend for someone like me to enroll in a prep course? Do you guys think I would learn in more detail in prep-courses or do the instructors pretty much go over what's written in the book?:confused:

Let me define it in terms of reaction kinetics.

IF you think you have enough selfmotivation and drive/intrinsic intellect to take a prep book, read it, and look up an answer on the net if you're not sure, then you have enough Ea to get over that first learning curve and drive yourself a somewhat unstable (and still lost) rxn intermediate. But the road is long and there's still time to drive yourself to completion.

IF you do not think you have the motivation, will get distracted, or do not have the drive/intrinsic intellect, then pay for a enzyme in form of a prep course. Sure it costs >$1200 of ATP (LOL this is where my analogy breaks down) to make that enzyme. It will help you keep on track to reach that intermediate faster, but the enzyme may be allosteric (sometimes other inhibiting factors may bind to it like OH GOD ITS SO EARLY IN THE MORNING) and other substrates, much like yourself, will be vying for the instructor's attention till he/she hits Vmax.

Remember, I do believe that the delta G knot will be the same in either case. But how much will the catalyst increase the rate of rxn? I'm still unsure, we'll have to determine it experimentally.

Macbook is going to throw himself off a bridge now. LOL IM SUCH A NERD

I don't think I've received a PM in a long long time haha.

I find with the question of self-studying vs taking a course, it's not just the money you have to think about, it's your time.

If you're busy and have a schedule to work around, go for the self study option. I find that if your busy is more packed, you actually get into more of a routine because you know your time is tight.

However, if you have nothing to do the whole summer... and you're not exactly the self-initiating type, take a course.

I would agree with what everyone has said. Take a course if you're not self motivated. I'm taking prep101 right now, and I feel like class is helpful overall, but certain instructors are better than others (ie, some spend more time on the material, which I can just read up on my own, and others spend more time on passages and how to answer them, which is what I signed up for really). Schedule is flexible though, which I really like, and if you like one instructor over another, you can just choose to go only to his/her classes (if there are 2 different instructors teaching a subject). But otherwise, you can learn the material on your own.

Since you seem worried about if the prep books are enough, why don't you give them a shot first? Try reading a chapter or two and see how it goes. If you've done all the prereqs, I think the books would be a good refresher. But if you're really doubting it, like I said grab a book and start reading it, and see if it all comes back :) (I'd recommend using EK first, but those are concise and brief, if not that try PR - they go into a lot of detail, but its really easy to read imo). Good luck :)

kaplan has a free one, so does TPR, and AAMC test #3 is free. EK's 16 mini-mcats might also be helpful? they're only 1 hr long though.

you might be able to buy some separately from PR, but i'm not sure...try getting your hands on the AAMC ones though (maybe try to buy with a friend, and you guys can split the cost?)

Archived