Premed 101 Forums

What are your best tips for the MCAT?

medhopeful03

Mod, please move this to MCAT prep

I would tell you to use the search function, but it seems you already did that...

ummmmm well if you're taking TPR, they may be a bit overwhelming, to be honest. But much of it is dependent on the time/effort you put in. Really strive to do the pre-readings, especially if you're weaker on a particular subject...make sure to come to class with questions if you don't understand...do LOTS of practice, it's more about the practice than actual learning material (since a lot of it is review). Don't write too early after the course...give yourself time to digest.

For me, I have made a spreadsheet with my study schedule (it is quite in depth) up until the test day. I have tailored it to my schedule so I can fit it around work, shadowing and research. I get in about 6 or 7 hours on an MCAT only day or 3-5 on another day. I take one full day off per week (I usually work about 12 hours that day).

I find my schedule helps it be less overwhelming. After I do everything I have scheduled myself to do, it can go to be or go do something else without feeling guilty.

I took this summer off to write the MCAT. I spend about 7-9 hours per day studying. I usually take at least one day off a week. I started studying in May and am going to write at the end of July (I had planned to write it earlier but by the time I went to book the test that was the only date left). I think it's important to make sure you keep your life balanced so you don't go crazy from studying 24/7. Make sure you study hard but also take some time for yourself. Working out is a good stress reliever and it helps you focus on studying. Also like Asta said, when you study hard during the week you shouldn't feel bad going out on the weekend because you know you have progressed a bit. That's the way I look at it anyways!

Archived