Premed 101 Forums

EC Question- Am Second Guessing Myself

JB.

I thought I understood that your ECs are about showing adcoms strengths that make you a unique person- not just a med school gunner. However, I just read a blog that said the ECs are broken down into (1) Clinical, (2) Research and (3) Other/Personal Interest and it would be a good idea to make sure that your activities don't just fall into #3. as adcoms won't know you can handle or would even enjoy being a doctor if you don't have clinical experience.

I thought I had a fair bit of ECs. I worked at a vet clinic for a year (mainly in surgery, but I also developed rads, worked in the pharmacy, did fecals, UAs etc.) I taught therapeutic riding and a horse groom apprenticeship program (licensed my Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities) for a few years. I volunteered in the therapeutic riding program for 5 years or so. I've been self employed as a dog trainer for the past 3 years and have won best dog training business in my town for every year I've been in business. I've also recieved the "40 Under Forty" award.

I do a lot of volunteer work with our Humane Society- I evaluate dogs, train staff and volunteers and sit on the board of directors. I also have involvement w/ another rescue group and am involved in some private rescue stuff as well. I'm involved with my local Chamber of Commerce and have sat on the allocations committee for United Way.

Should I be looking to get clinical experience? I'll be honest, the types of tasks I would most likely be eligible for are not things that I would be really interested in doing. It would be simply resume padding, which I know is never a good thing.

Regarding research, I go to school year round; it is very unlikely I could do research or that I could wind up doing research that would be considered valuable in nature. Again, could do, but would most likely be resume padding.

Do you have any advice or am I worrying for no reason?

I wouldn't worry if I was you. Purpose of ECs is to help you grow and develop as an individual and help you demonstrate traits/characteristics they are seeking in physicians such as compassion, initiative, leadership, communication, dedication, quick problem solving, etc. Moreover, you draw on your experiences in your MMI, that is to say , directly or indirectly, they are of immense help.

Well, that is strange that it was a Canadian blog, because I don't really think that's how things work here. Either way, I think your ECs actually sound really amazing and I don't think you need to worry. Plus I think your vet work technically would be clinical experience, even though it wasn't with humans.

you were reading medaholic right?

the clinical and research experience, while not necessary for any med school in canada, is a good example to show the adcom certain qualities they are looking for in an applicant: dedication to life-long learning, curiosity in a scientific field, problem-solving skills, analytical skills, proven interest in medicine, etc... when you have a clinical research experience to show on your application, you can exemplify these certain characteristics in an easily understood manner.

in my experience, the people I know without any research (clinical or not) have had other involvements where they can explicitly showcase these qualities. certain schools (...UofT) very clearly ask for your academic experiences when writing your supplementary material (essays, questions, etc...) and using any undergrad/graduate research is a good way to incorporate that and show them what they are looking for.

ultimately, if you have an interest in clinical research and can pursue it, I HIGHLY suggest it. otherwise, make sure you have other experiences you can draw on that will showcase the same qualities I highlighted above.

good luck!

Archived